Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007

otaga05 is on a distinguished road
Sea Trials

deleted

Last edited by otaga05; 01-03-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, I am sure others will likely dissagree with me... but I have to side with the broker. In my opinion, Sea Trials are a joke and really nothing more than show. I worked with a broker some years ago that told me that in 20+ years in the business he had NEVER had an buyer walk away from a deal on a sea trial. The critical piece (and negotiating piece) is the survey. That is where the deals fall apart.

If I was the seller, I would not accept your offer. If the sea trial is critical to you, walk away from the deal and wait until you can sail it. If you think a sea trial is going to magically expose a boats problems... well, it better be a really long sea trial.

Again, others may dissagree. Just my opinion.

- CD
Old 01-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
PS - If you cannot even sail the boat or get on it for months... why buy it now anyway?... unless it is an awesome deal. What is the boat?
Old 01-19-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
I agree with Dad, although I don't think there is any harm in asking the seller if he would agree to your conditions. If he says no, then I think Dad's analysis is spot on: walk away if the sea trial is crucial to you.
Old 01-19-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I think the sea trial is a good idea for a one-off design boat or something homebuilt - where a fundamental flaw might exist in the handling or seaworthiness of the vessel. But those types of problems will already have been found in a production boat and the sea trial should never really expose a problem that a professional surveyor has missed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Sea Trials

You can negotiate for anything, but the broker is advising what most sellers would expect - sale contingent on a survey (satisfactory to you alone, no explanation necessary to terminate the sale), the sea trial only serves to confirm the proper operation of gear that can't be tested prior, plus receipt of all stuff. HOWEVER, I assume that you have not contracted this broker yourself, so remember that he/she actually represents the seller here, so take ALL advice with a grain of salt. Be sure to also have an engine survey.

Then again, I'd be comfortable to agree to a sea trail contingency on my 36...

Last edited by sailingfool; 01-19-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You want to do a sea trial before you part with all your money. Major things can go wrong in a sea trial that can't be found on the hard...engine problems, auto pilot, instruments etc. You may not want to walk away if any of this is found, but you don't want to be left holding the bag either!
My suggestion would be to write the contract with the balance due after survey but with a "holdback" amount designed to cover major cost issues placed in escrow until the sea trial and closing.
Old 01-19-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
I think we all know that surveys are not any guarantee that all defects will be identified not that the sea trail would point out any latent problems either. I guess I'd put it another way - Don't give up the position you are in as the potential buyer the seller doesn't want to lose - one way to stay in control of the negotiation is to offer a refundable deposit pending sea trial WITH the stipulation the buyer can continue to market the boat.
Old 01-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
It really depends on the boat and how it looks and how old it is.. you can see if its needed or not, can't you?? If you can't shouldn't be buying a boat on your own.

(not applicable to racers as they can look good and be 2 years old and be more worn then a Kazakstan stripper).

I hate the sail tests, I had a boat for sale in 2003, and was an attractive boat, too.

Once it went up for sail, I had a list of people wanting to buy it, just because I was offering a test sail.....I did go out with some, but soon I was refusing it...I hate what we call "smellers" they come in for the free ride...
Old 01-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Once it went up for sail, I had a list of people wanting to buy it, just because I was offering a test sail.....I did go out with some, but soon I was refusing it...I hate what we call "smellers" they come in for the free ride...
That's why a sea trial should be one of the last things done in a contract...and not done without a deposit of good faith money and offer signed. Otherwise, you end up giving a lot of people free boat rides.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.