Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007

kirstindally is on a distinguished road
Gulfstar 37 advice

We have seen a 37 gulfstar aft cockpit for sale.
Can anyone comment on the suitablility of these designs for offshore cruising?
We are from New Zealand and are not familiar with the design. Is it solidly constructed or are there hull flex issues? Perhaps there are reviews? I have yet to find any info on them.
Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Mike and Kirstin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2007

stlcat22 is on a distinguished road
Here is a link to a site which seems to collect various comments about boat builders etc., from around the internet.
Old 01-19-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Not suitable.
Old 01-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Cam,

What are you saying is not suitable? The G37? I am not following you.
Old 01-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Sorry Cam, did not see he put OFFSHORE on there. I agree, it would not be my first choice for offshore. I have been on a couple of them though. I think they would make nice liveaboard/coastal cruiser. Of course, that was not where he was going with the thread.

Of course, one has to ask: WHAT IS OFFSHORE? Is offshore running between the islands or a day/two at sea. I don't think I would have a problem with it. Is offshore New Zealand to Alaska... well, er-hm, no.
Old 01-19-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I don't know Cam. A freind of mine had a Gulfstar 37 that we sailed offshore in 35 knots and it seemed pretty solid of a hull though I did not take measurements. THe interior is pretty big due to the beam being carried forward. If the inquirer likes the size and weight of a Gulfstar 37, they should also look at the Tayana 37 as the specs are similar buy the Tayana has more offshore attributes built in like a small cockpit, small high companionway, etc.
pigslo
Old 01-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Again, I ask: What is offshore?
Old 01-19-2007

kirstindally is on a distinguished road
offshore is new zealand

Thanks for the replies, I kind of figured as much. Looks like we have narrowed it down to the Tiburon 36 or Tartan 37, with preference probably to the Tiburon.
Thanks for the replies, appreciated.
Mike and Kirstin
Old 11-09-2010

BABALUBA is on a distinguished road
i honestly wonder

I dont know how much time you good folk spend at the dock i personally spend 6 months a year AT SEA and have done so the last 20 years and before that for another 15, Its very interesting when i see people commenting that this is suitable and that isnt i really wonder how much time present or past you have spent at sea or your ability to answer such questions and give advice thats worth a look in, ive sailed on vessels from 3 metres to 150 meters long and a 37 ft gulstar is in my opinion quiet safe to take around cape horn, the megellan straits or anywhere else you would like to take it if managed properly.ive sailed a Hobie 16 half way around Australia and that was fun and explored the Pacific in a 25 footer so i cant really think of what or where your coming from when you state that a good seaworthy boat like the 37 Isnt For OFFSHORE what r u scared youll spill your scotch??? sorry i dont follow you sailerdad.
Old 11-09-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
I had a gf 37 (CC) & would not take on rtw.Liked the interior,very roomy & comfortable.The aft cabin was not used aft cockpit probably better for me.Not the best sailing boat,do not point well.have core issues.Not knocking boat just not my type.Seakindly & comfortable.marc