I screwed up. Any advice before I cut my losses? - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I screwed up. Any advice before I cut my losses?

Found a boat that I feel in love with. Looked it over, considered everything (I thought) then made an offer. Offer was accepted.

Now, I realize I made a mistake. Essentially, this boat has a 7.5 foot draft. It won't work for what I want to do as I'll be way too restricted as to where I can take it.

So, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm going to have to back out of the deal and forfeit $4500 in hand money.

Before I make that call ... just want to see if anyone has any suggestions on a better way to salvage this situation (that doesn't involve breaking laws).
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: I screwed up. Any advice before I cut my losses?

...Pending survey...I hope.

Find something/things you don't like....no prob.
Lazerbrains likes this.
post #3 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Have a written contract? Done sea trails yet? Survey completed? Maybe there is something in the contract that lets you off the hook?
zeehag likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

post #4 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Some people modify their keel by cutting the bottom off and attaching a cast lead bulb to it instead. It is not a cheap fix but it produces very good effects in terms of better stability and reduced draft.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (2 Weeks Ago)
post #5 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Some people modify their keel by cutting the bottom off and attaching a cast lead bulb to it instead. It is not a cheap fix but it produces very good effects in terms of better stability and reduced draft.
I found this: https://marskeel.com/production/repa...ft-reductions/

Does anyone have any experience making modifications like this? (i.e. is it as easy as the manufacturer claims?)
post #6 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Admit your mistake, eat some humble pie, and see if the seller will let you back out with less of a haircut?

It does depend on the offer and purchase agreement you made, but in my experience most include a deposit that is only refundable if there is a breach of contract (the purchase agreement), or there are significant unexpected findings from the survey or sea trial. And while it is probably possible to use the survey and sea trial clauses as a way out, this seems a tad unethical to me (unless you actually do discover something major, of course).

Fact is, and as you recognize, you should have known the boat was not suited to your needs. You’re a good man to admit your mistake, and to be willing to accept the consequences. An equally good man/woman on the other side of the sale might reciprocate.
zeehag, mrmac, ebourg and 1 others like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (2 Weeks Ago)
post #7 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Looks feasible?? But what boat and size are we talking about?perhaps it would be possible to contact designer and get his take on adding the bulb,...also where do you sail?........Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
.....And while it is probably possible to use the survey and sea trial clauses as a way out, this seems a tad unethical to me (unless you actually do discover something major, of course).........

The deposit is required so the owner and broker know the buyer is serious. It also takes the boat 'under contract/off the market' at that time.
Nothing at all unethical about it.
It's not a 1oz 99.9% pure whatever, a pound of perfectly red tomatoes...without unknowns.
It's a boat with a lot of unknowns, along with unknown personal emotions.
Heck, most states have buyers' remorse clauses for something as straightforward as cars...and other large purchases.

One broker told me about a sea trial he did: the buyer's daughter went off the leeside of the boat when it was leaned over in a good wind.
"Nope, I don't want it."...
He did buy a powerboat.

By putting down a healthy deposit he surely wasn't just jerking the guys chain....
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (2 Weeks Ago)
post #9 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
I found this: https://marskeel.com/production/repa...ft-reductions/

Does anyone have any experience making modifications like this? (i.e. is it as easy as the manufacturer claims?)
I would get a quote from them. It is not terribly hard to install, but it does cost good money. If you truly love this boat and draft is the only issue, it is worth exploring as an option, and not just to recover your deposit money. Many racing boats were converted to a more practical draft and made into good cruisers by cutting the keel and adding a bulb. Nothing new there.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #10 of 44 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Hey,

Are you dealing with a reputable broker? Did you sign a contract? Have you read it? The typical YBA contract allows the buyer to back out and get the deposit back.

TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT: If the BUYER gives notice of his intention to reject the YACHT 36 under the terms of this Agreement, such notice shall constitute termination of the BUYER’s obligation to 37 purchase and the SELLER's obligation to sell, and the BUYER and the SELLER both authorize the 38 SELLING BROKER to return the deposit to the BUYER, after deducting any fees and charges incurred 39 against the YACHT by the BUYER, or by the BROKERS on behalf of the BUYER, including the cost of the 40 survey and related expenses.

Good luck,
Barry
Lazerbrains likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.