Challenge: Find me a boat - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

Challenge: Find me a boat

Why not? Lots of my questions about my boat search are answered with "just buy a different boat" (or similar)

I'll never deny that my ability to search for things on the internet sucks, so instead of getting frustrated, I'm just going to challenge all of you to show me how much better you are at it.

Here's the plan: I want to put a boat on lake Erie (because it's close to where I currently live) so I can sail there for about 2 seasons. This will give me time to get experience, as well as get to know the boat, understand what changes I'd like to make and actually make any upgrades.

The goal after 2 years is to move the boat to south FL and put it in the ocean, sell my house and move aboard full time. Then take a year or so to sail coastally, making longer and more challenging trips. The timeline gets a little fuzzy after that, since I don't know how quickly my comfort level will grow, but eventually I want to cruise the carribean, then through Panama and into the south Pacific. From there, who knows. I will be alone for all this.

The primary draw for me is the exploring. I'll want to spend as little time in populated marinas as possible, preferring areas less visited by others.

Based on the plan, I've come up with some guidelines:
* No longer than 40' (there seem to be a lot of additional costs as the size gets over 40')
* But, of course, large enough to handle the open ocean.
* 2 cabins: I want to accommodate visitors, privacy on a small vessel is always challenging. I think allowing them a private cabin is important.
* Can be single-handed
* Enough space below to have an "office" ... I'm hoping to keep working part-time as a software developer
* Given the plan, it seems like a swing keel is a good idea ... but I never seem to find them for sale
* Budget is $60,000 ... so that's purchase price + taxes + any other costs (like transportation, necessary repairs/upgrades, etc) I'll still be working full time the first 2 years, so long-term upgrades can be budgeted later.

Ask if there are details I left out. Otherwise, please show off your ability to find things.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 04-17-2017

Re: Challenge: Find me a boat

Here you go: 1983 Tartan 37 CB sailboat for sale in New York
Great design, great condition, and close to where you are. The two separate cabin condition will be a tough requirement. Maybe in a center cockpit boat.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 48 Old 04-17-2017

Sometimes it can take more time than you have to find the right boat.

May I suggest something? Consider buying a 27ft boat, (CS27, Catalina 27, Aloha 28, Tanzer, etc...). Pay about $8,000 for it - which should get you one in decent, but not perfect shape.

You should be able to sell it for around the same price 2 years later.

You will save at least $3-4000 on slip and storage costs over a 40 footer.

While you sail it, you will learn what is important to you in a boat.

And if you want to learn more, buy one in Georgian Bay for example, you can sail it to Erie and gain valuable experience on the way.
RegisteredUser and rbrasi like this.

post #4 of 48 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
And if you want to learn more, buy one in Georgian Bay for example, you can sail it to Erie and gain valuable experience on the way.
Curious. Why Georgian Bay, in particular?
post #5 of 48 Old 04-17-2017
cdy

Much cheaper to buy a boat in Florida - buy something to learn on up there, save the cash for the purchase in Florida in 2 years, there is a huge inventory of used boats in Florida - don't think there is going to be a run on them in 24 months.

Seems lots of people and their cruising plans gets as far as Florida ( or the Bahamas) they decide to move on to something else and leave the boat in Florida - thinking they will return to it eventually - go back up north and don't come back and after a year or so get a bit desperate to sell it.
post #6 of 48 Old 04-17-2017
Master Mariner

I watched boats on yacht world for 4 YEARS before I even went to visit a boat.
I began with several lists;
Everything I'd like my new boat to have, what would be nice for my new boat to have
and the most basic, important things my new boat should have.
For me, the last list included these 5 things, in no particular order.
1) a pilot house
2) electric sheet winches
3) RF sails including an inmast RF main
4) a real walk in engine room; this lessens the avoidance of critical systems maintenance
5) a real standard queen size centerline bed so a mattress and fitted sheets can be purchased anywhere and one doesn't have to try to make the bed while actually being on it.
I got 4 out of 5 and I'm pretty pleased.
Also, I'd advise that you put a lot more thought into how comfortable your new home will be to live in. You might, if you are very industrious and driven, actually sail your new boat 10% of the time, even if you are a full time cruiser.
Things like a galley you can actually make meals in (with counter space), both at sea and in port. Someplace below you can lounge comfortably (not in bed) again, at sea or in port, is a very important thing. A shower separated from the toilet is really nice unless you like cleaning soap scum off your bathroom frequently. And ventilation. Good ventilation is very, very important. Many boats designed and built in northern Europe and Scandinavia are just not good tropical liveaboards.
If your boat is going to live in a marina, does it have the systems to utilize the shore power necessary for your needs? If you are going to be at anchor, the same question regarding 12 volt power applies. If you are going to be living on the hook, will she be a comfortable home, or roll her guts out in a moderate swell? Will she sail violently or lay peacefully on her anchor? I know a goodly number of nice looking and good sailing boats that just are not comfortable if there is the slightest swell or a good breeze in an anchorage.
These are all much more import things to consider than her draft, if she is to be your home, I believe. If you want to slather yourself in deep woods Off every night and/or use screens, which greatly inhibit ventilation on a hot tropical night, then you'll anchor your boat as close to the beach as your draft allows. Otherwise, no matter what your draft, you'll be out with the rest of us. Don't forget, there are a number of diseases carried by mosquitoes in the tropics. Going ashore one can dress for this, but would you want to be in long pants, socks and a long sleeve shirt on every hot, still tropical evening, in your home?
Even the vessel's sailing ability should take a back seat to living comfort, when a boat is to be your home, IMO.
I would suggest you sail on as many boats as you possibly can, before you buy any boat. Try and imagine what living on each of them would be like.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (04-17-2017)
post #7 of 48 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Here you go: 1983 Tartan 37 CB sailboat for sale in New York
Great design, great condition, and close to where you are. The two separate cabin condition will be a tough requirement. Maybe in a center cockpit boat.
I feel like you forgot about the cost of a survey, as well as taxes.
post #8 of 48 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Sometimes it can take more time than you have to find the right boat.

May I suggest something? Consider buying a 27ft boat, (CS27, Catalina 27, Aloha 28, Tanzer, etc...). Pay about $8,000 for it - which should get you one in decent, but not perfect shape.

You should be able to sell it for around the same price 2 years later.

You will save at least $3-4000 on slip and storage costs over a 40 footer.

While you sail it, you will learn what is important to you in a boat.

You can suggest whatever you want ... and I'm certainly listening.

But it doesn't really answer the question that was asked. Additionally, if I do that, I'm in almost the same situation I'm in now (albiet, with a much smaller, 16' boat). And have the incredible challenge of "how do I buy a boat in FL when I live in PA?" I know that's a challenge, because it was my first plan ... thousands of $$ of wasted travel expenses later, I came up with this different plan.
post #9 of 48 Old 04-17-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
Much cheaper to buy a boat in Florida - buy something to learn on up there, save the cash for the purchase in Florida in 2 years, there is a huge inventory of used boats in Florida - don't think there is going to be a run on them in 24 months.

Seems lots of people and their cruising plans gets as far as Florida ( or the Bahamas) they decide to move on to something else and leave the boat in Florida - thinking they will return to it eventually - go back up north and don't come back and after a year or so get a bit desperate to sell it.
You're exactly right and that's exactly why I wouldn't buy a Florida boat.

Dreams and boats go there to die. The boats are clapped out because the sellers have unrealistic expectations and they sit there, baking in the Florida sun until the teak and gelcoat are sun-blasted, and the interior is moldy. By the time the seller gets a clue and reduces their price, the boat is greatly worn.

A Great Lakes boat will have been sailed in fresh water most or all of its life, and have low hours due to the short sailing seasons.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #10 of 48 Old 04-17-2017

Dock

Bill you need to do the research yourself.

We can't buy your car for you.
We can't buy your house for you.
We can't pick up women for you.

We can't buy your boat for you.

You have to expend YOUR energy, YOUR finances, YOUR time.

Ajax_MD likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.