Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007

Saasaan is on a distinguished road
My dad is leaving me his sailboat, what to do?

How’s everybody ? Great !

Well I am 22 I know nothing about sailing, my dad has driven into my head since I was a kid to sail around the world, it always sounded nice but the fear always blocked my thoughts. My dad is moving back to his homeland and asked me if he should sell his boat or give it to me (I would have to live aboard). It dawned on me that I should take this opportunity to its fullest. This is the boat, I know its in its 70’s and the previous owner never sailed it. My question is by looking at what do you think, I want to know what you think by just looking at it. Can a boat that old assuming it has issues, that hasn’t sailed in awhile be restored and made to sail to Hawaii someday and further ?

Sorry I know nothing to sailing, I don’t mean for my questions to come off as stupid !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Yes theoretically you can restore it and sail wherever the winds will take you.

Some concessions will have to be made as to how safe the boat will be for some journeys.

What boat is it, do you know?
Old 01-23-2007

I don’t know what kind of boat it is right now, I will ask tomorrow, what would be the major things I should have checked out? I have a few months to let him know whether im going to take the boat or let him sell it. But I feel it is time to start learning something worthwhile (like sailing) . University was fun, but I think learning about sailing will be a whole lot more rewarding : ) ! I just hope this is a boat I can put money in with the thought of it being a contender for the big ocean one day !
Old 01-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saasaan
I don’t know what kind of boat it is right now, I will ask tomorrow, what would be the major things I should have checked out? I have a few months to let him know whether im going to take the boat or let him sell it. But I feel it is time to start learning something worthwhile (like sailing) . University was fun, but I think learning about sailing will be a whole lot more rewarding : ) ! I just hope this is a boat I can put money in with the thought of it being a contender for the big ocean one day !
OK as far as what boat is, if you wait a little while some of the US members will come here later and tell you.

Right now, and to help you decide if you should sell or not:

1) identify the boat, and see what it is worth. (if you stay around this thread and others pitch their opinions you will soon find out) If its a bad boat, with small value, then don't dump a lot of money on it, unless it has sentimental value. If you want to keep it for other reason, then go ahead..
2) You say it hasn't been sailed in a while? Get the rig (mast, attachments to hull, chainplates, all the hardware that is holding and fixing the mast) checked by a professional.
3) Then move to the hull, has it been sitting in the water for a long time?? Has the hull been painted for marine growth? Get the boat out of the water and check all the surfaces that are under the water. This preferably should be done by a professional, because of you lack of experience.
4) Check the engine and sails next also by a pro.
5) Move onto plumbing, electronics, bilges, heads etc.

In the mean time, start learning how to sail. It is very easy, but for you to go to Hawaii, there is still a somewhat long reoad to walk. You may learn in school boats, then when ready move on to your boat. Or if you know someone that knows about sailing, get him to go out with you. You will be sailing in a few days. This off course depends if the boat is good to sail.

Chances are its been sitting for too long. So while you learn, get her repaired.

I would start by asking an expert to go there and look at here, get a surveyor, he will tell you the extent of the repair/rebuild and can give you an idea of $$$$ you need. If you are handy, maybe you can spend some hours a day an repair it yourself (some stuff you can't do, so a yard will be needed).

From the photo it seemed like an OK boat, center cockpit, but probably not very fast.

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-23-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2007

Yes I believe it has been sitting in the water. I do plan to start cracking the books open and taking classes very soon. Sailing long distance isn’t a plan I have for awhile, but before I start throwing money into it, I will take your advice and have a professional tell me what needs to be done and how much im looking at ! Im sure I can study, repair, practice sailing, and take small trips in the meantime (next few years). Thanks. I just hope if the bottom or the structure or the sail is in bad shape, that it is still fixable. I think as long as its engine, electrical, etc can be fixed with money, im just curious are there areas of the boat that if havent been taken care of and are in bad shape can NOT be repaired at a logical price?
Old 01-23-2007

Anything can be repaired in a boat, really depends, but if it wasn't repairable she wouldn't be floating..she does not look too bad from the photo.
Old 01-23-2007

Thanks, yea she looks like a good project !!
Old 01-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The first thing I would do is find out what boat it is, and then have a survey done, as if you were going to be buying the boat. That will give you and idea of what kind of condition it is in, as well as what needs to be repaired/replaced.

If your goal is to eventually sail around the world in it, I would make sure that the boat is seaworthy enough to do so. If it is not, I would not recommend keeping it...as any money you put into it will not go towards your eventual goal.

I would also get an idea of what the local costs for living aboard are: marina fees, liveaboard fees, insurance, taxes, haulout fees, etc. I would then compare these to the costs of living on land and see if they are at least comparable, if not less expensive. In some parts of the country, living aboard is no longer the bargain it once was.

Since you're located in San Diego, weather shouldn't be too much of an issue for you. San Diego stays relatively comfortable most of the year and doesn't really experience severe RTS type storms... so living aboard, provided the costs are reasonable, shouldn't be much of a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-23-2007

Bill McNamara is on a distinguished road
Comfortable Cruiser

Go for it! Wonderful opportunity!
Good advice to get the boat "surveyed " first, then there won't be as many surprises.
You mentioned the boat was in her seventies???? did you mean she was built in the seventies???
If photo is recent, she looks in good shape, and a comfortable cruiser. Did your dad not sail her either??
Bon Voyage!!
Bill.
Old 01-23-2007

Yes he meant from the 70's.

70' years ago the guy that invented Fiberglass was still jumping from his Dad's left testicle to the right testicle!!!

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-23-2007 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.