Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
good beginner - with small cabin.

Hello everyone,

So I'm a newbie and will be taking some sailing lessons and some of the basic courses in a few months. I am definitely saving up for a Catalina 30 for a long range plan, but that will take a 3-4 years to save the cash for one.

I was thinking if I could get something smaller - obviously for cheaper - I could continue to sail on my own over the next few years until I get the cat 30. What I would like is a small cabin to sleep so that I could cruise down to the Jersey Shore on Friday afternoons, get in some sailing Friday late, and sail all day Sat & Sun sleeping aboard - I wouldn't need a lot of space, just enough for a cooler of food and stuff and clothes.

Soooooooooo, I saw a picture on a Pierson 26 that looked roomy enough - I've seen late 70's / early 80's boats going for $4K-6+K - Do you think that would be a good starter boat? I might be able to shell out $5k or so this year, definitely next year.

So - I just need something used, older, to learn on and a place to flop over the week-end nights. Any better suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2007

jwaring1 is on a distinguished road
C&c 24

I have recently purchased a Catalina 27. My first sailboat was a C&C 24 and I have nothing but good things to say about it, except for approximately 5' 4" head room and leaky windows. It is built very well with oversized everything, as all C&C's are. It is an easy boat to singlehand and sails very well. I have read that this boat can sleep up to four but I personally think it will only sleep three , one large person up front and two small people on the side berths. It has a space under the cockpit that will is made to hold a large cooler which comes in handy on a boat this size. It can be powered by a small 2.5 hp outboard (4 knots max in calm water) and is very easily maintained for little cost. I have seen these boats sell for under $4000.00, in fact I would sell mine for $3000.00.
Old 01-23-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Where do you live?

And are you talking about a cat 27 or C&C 24? And what is "C&C" - sorry newbie

Quittin' time - gots to run.