SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Islands 15 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/28249-islands-15-a.html)

ehmanta 01-24-2007 08:03 AM

Islands 15

Has anyone out there heard of these boats? I just bought one for fun, sailing around the river behind the house but I don't know anything about the sailing characteristics or reputations. The lines are sweet and fair, looks like a nice little daysailor.
These boats are built by Sumner Boat Company, Amityville NY (I guess out of business) Thanks, Tom

pigslo 01-24-2007 11:42 AM

No, never heard of it. Is that all you needed?
pigslo

ehmanta 01-24-2007 11:48 AM

Just trying to get some specifications on it as well as any reports on its sailing characteristics...thanks

truewind 09-22-2008 05:51 PM

Info on a Sumner Dink

OK, If no one knows anything about the 17 footer ----- I have a dink that I belive was built by the Sumner Boat Co. of Amityville, NY. This boat appears to have had lee boards therefore must have had a sail and all that goes with it.

I am looking for a sail plan if there was one. I also am in search for any information about what the lee boards may have had and what they looked like.

This dink was built in 1976 or '77 is about 7.5+ ft long, fiber glass and very light with a wooden skeg.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Truewind

dehart 10-07-2008 04:43 PM

Truewind, I was just given a Sumner-8, which sounds exactly like the boat you describe. The sail rig on it is a sprit sail. My sail rig is missing the sprit but the mast, sail, and boom are all there. I could not find any info on the boat either. I posted a question on Woodenboat Forum and got good pictures of the complete sail rig. Follow this link to the thread:

w w w . w o o d e n b o a t . c o m /forum/showthread.php?t=86430
Take the spaces out.

That forum is where I lurk, and the best place to reach me would be on that thread. I can email you pics of my boat and take dimensions if that helps you. Maybe we can help each other get these boats fixed up right.

dehart 10-08-2008 04:18 PM

In my search for Sumner-8 info I also came across a six page thread somewhere with info on the Islands 15 and 19. There are references to places where replacement parts can be found and several people reported on sailing them. It seems I cannot post links here, but I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

w w w . v o i l e . o r g /forumvav32/read.php?2,1063,page=1
Again, take out the spaces. I have no ties to either "link" and only offer them to help folks who are looking for info.

I tried to PM Truewind to tip him off that I can help him with his Sumner-8, but I cannot PM either. If someone can nudge him over here I can arrange a direct exchange of photos with him. I tried to get my post count up to where I cam PM and post links, but that disappeared. I am trying to offer help but the board is uncooperative. I'll go away if I'm not welcome here.

JohnBPrice 08-10-2014 05:57 PM

Re: Islands 15

OK, your post is pretty old, but I just ran across it. I own an Islands 15 and it is an awesome newbie and family friendly boat. Quite broad and very stable. Easy to launch and sail. Almost impossible to capsize. When I got it, I had no experienced crew so I got something simple. I've sailed mine single handed and with 6 people on board. It is NOT a performance boat, it points horribly and has limited sail controls. I have my original brochure with some specs if you are still out there.

kpowell01 08-11-2014 06:05 PM

John,

I just got an 1986 Islands 15 for FREE, but it had no owners manual or sails and is missing most of the rigging. If you could email me the manual i would be ecstatic. Finding info on this boat is harder than finding Jimmy Hoffa!

Thx,

Kevin

JohnBPrice 08-12-2014 09:49 AM

It's just a brochure, no manual. The sails were labeled Bottger Sails, Lindenhurst, Long Island.

SailNet wont let me upload or post links, but the brochure is here if you remove the spaces

h t t p s://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5C98F280198DE72!2298&authkey=!AG9RDblL 8gllXvM&ithint=folder%2cjpg

kpowell01 08-12-2014 10:35 AM

Thanks John! Thats more than i had to start with!

Kevin