Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Smile Islands 15

Has anyone out there heard of these boats? I just bought one for fun, sailing around the river behind the house but I don't know anything about the sailing characteristics or reputations. The lines are sweet and fair, looks like a nice little daysailor.
These boats are built by Sumner Boat Company, Amityville NY (I guess out of business) Thanks, Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
No, never heard of it. Is that all you needed?
pigslo
Old 01-24-2007
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Just trying to get some specifications on it as well as any reports on its sailing characteristics...thanks
Old 09-22-2008

truewind is on a distinguished road
Info on a Sumner Dink

OK, If no one knows anything about the 17 footer ----- I have a dink that I belive was built by the Sumner Boat Co. of Amityville, NY. This boat appears to have had lee boards therefore must have had a sail and all that goes with it.

I am looking for a sail plan if there was one. I also am in search for any information about what the lee boards may have had and what they looked like.

This dink was built in 1976 or '77 is about 7.5+ ft long, fiber glass and very light with a wooden skeg.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Truewind
Old 10-07-2008

dehart is on a distinguished road
Truewind, I was just given a Sumner-8, which sounds exactly like the boat you describe. The sail rig on it is a sprit sail. My sail rig is missing the sprit but the mast, sail, and boom are all there. I could not find any info on the boat either. I posted a question on Woodenboat Forum and got good pictures of the complete sail rig. Follow this link to the thread:

w w w . w o o d e n b o a t . c o m /forum/showthread.php?t=86430
Take the spaces out.

That forum is where I lurk, and the best place to reach me would be on that thread. I can email you pics of my boat and take dimensions if that helps you. Maybe we can help each other get these boats fixed up right.
Old 10-08-2008

dehart is on a distinguished road
In my search for Sumner-8 info I also came across a six page thread somewhere with info on the Islands 15 and 19. There are references to places where replacement parts can be found and several people reported on sailing them. It seems I cannot post links here, but I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

w w w . v o i l e . o r g /forumvav32/read.php?2,1063,page=1
Again, take out the spaces. I have no ties to either "link" and only offer them to help folks who are looking for info.

I tried to PM Truewind to tip him off that I can help him with his Sumner-8, but I cannot PM either. If someone can nudge him over here I can arrange a direct exchange of photos with him. I tried to get my post count up to where I cam PM and post links, but that disappeared. I am trying to offer help but the board is uncooperative. I'll go away if I'm not welcome here.