Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2001

seawhich is on a distinguished road
decision

Anybody have any comments or suggestions to help me decide between two boats ? I''m looking at either a Catalina 18 or com-pac 16 or 19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
decision

It would be helpful to have more info like:
Why just those three?
Where do you intend to sail?
How experienced a sailor are you?
What are your goals for the boat?

Jeff
Old 12-19-2001

R33 is on a distinguished road
decision

I owned a Compac 16 for three years and loved it. She was easy to sail, lots of fun, stable, and hard to break. When we ran aground we just jumped in pushed, and jumped back on. She had a comfortable cockpit, but little to no cuddy cabin.Due to the shoal draft keel, sheeting angles and also because we had only the working jib, I could never get her to point. That didn''t matter much at the time. All in all, she was a fun trouble free boat for the short time I owned her. I can''t speak to the other boats on your list.
Old 12-23-2001
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor
decision

I owned a 1980 ComPac 19 about 10 years ago and loved it. It was my first real sailboat. It had two reef points in the main sail and a working jib and a huge genoa. I sailed it in all kinds of weather in winds from 35 mph to hardly any wind at all. I still remember the boat moving along thru glassy water with wind so light I couldn''t feel it on my face and wondering what sea monster was under the boat pushing me along. I have owned two larger boats since then, but still sometimes regret selling the 19. The cockpit is large enough to seat three next to each other comfortably, its easy to see over the cabintop and you can use a simple tiller tamer to steer the boat for up to 10 minutes while away from the tiller, it tracks that well once you have the sails balanced. It slepped four fairly comfortable for its size, but with that many on board for an overnite you had to get creative to store everyones gear and meals. Unlike the previous post., I never had a problem getting the boat to point, but that may have been due to the oversized genoa....Best of luck....Rick
Old 12-24-2001

decision

Thanks Jeff for your response. Your right more info would be helpful. I''m familiar with the catalina line having owned and sailed a capri 14.2 for the last 10 yrs. I just particularly like the traditional style of the com-pac line. I paln to do mostly day sailing with ocassional overnighting and gunkholing. I will be sailing mostly singlehanded, so therefore don''t want too large of a boat to handle by myself (trailering, rigging, etc.) Thanks again and any more info, insight would be appreciated. MERRY CHRISTMAS !! Bill
Old 12-24-2001

decision

Rick Thanks for your response. Sounds like you really enjoyed this particular boat. I''ve heard thru the grape vine that the 19 didn''t sail all that well but it sounds like you had no troubles at all under any condtion. One question, did you have your boat in a slip or did you trailer it ? I have some concern about trying to trailer a boat of this size by myself. (ie. rigging, launching and loading onto trailer again) I do like the traditional style of the com-pac though. Thanks again and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
Old 12-26-2001
sailor

decision

I kept the boat in a slip only because I am always so anxious to get underway that I didn''t want to waste the time rigging the boat every time I wanted to go sailing. Its not difficult to rig, I always raised the mast myself without help. Trailering and launching was not difficult. We used a car with v-6 engine to tow the boat and launch it in the spring and retreive it in the fall. We did trailer it from North Dakota into Minnesota twice, a trip of about 700 miles round trip, and never had a problem towing, launching , or retreiving the boat. I,m trying hard not to sugar coat this reply, we did have to back the car in until the rear bumper was touching the water to float the boat off the trailer, but did not see this as so awful.....best of luck ... Rick
Old 12-26-2001
sailor

decision

P.S. If I was to Downsize from what I am sailing now I would definately return to the Com-Pac 19....in terms of performance comparison I had no trouble keeping up with and sometimes sailing around the Macgregor 26 boats on the lake...much to their dismay.... Rick
Old 12-26-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
decision

I would not think of these three boats as being my ideal for a daysailer but of the three the ComPac 19 would probably be my first choice. I have spent many a happy hour puttering about in both ComPac 16''s and 19''s. When I lived in Savannah my friend Card had a 16. He and I saided together on her quite a bit while I was ''between boats''. I thought that the 16 sailed quite well for a comparatively simple and not at all high tech design. She was comparatively dry and seemed to handle the short chop in the outer Wilmington River about as well as could be expected for a non-performance oriented 16 footer. Card eventually bought a Ranger 23 which is very close to my favorite boat to recommend to people learning to sail and also for use as a small daysailor where you have the ability to leave the boat in the water.

When I first moved to Maryland (before I bought my C&C 22 which was 4 boats)I met a felow with a ComPac 19. I enjoyed sailing with this fellow on the 19. In some ways the 19 did not seem as lively as the 16. This may be that because we only sailed the 16 in winds over about 10 knots but I sailed on the 19 in a variety of conditions, but mostly lighter air and a lot more motor boat slop.

The reason that I recommend the 19 over the 16 is that the 16 really did not seem as comfortable with additional weight on board. Card and I typically sailed with just the two of us. One day my first wife (all of 100 lbs) joined us and the boat clearly did like the added weight. I sailed on the 19 with 2 and 3 people on board and the 19 clearly tolerated the extra person.

Both of the ComPacs seemed to be reasonably well constructed but both were comparatively new boats and so were not all that well tested.

I do have a bit of a prejudice against trailerables if you will be living near where the boat will be sailed and there is easy access to moorings and/or slips. I found with the trailerables that I owned that I spent more on ramp fees than I ended up paying for moorings. I also lost a lot of ''quick sails'' because it took so long to get a trailerable under way and then back on the trailer. I know that there are a lot of instances where slips or moorings are prohibitive or unavailable but if you have the choice at a fair price then I would suggest that you try to find a mooring rather than launch and haul every time that you want to go out.

Good luck,
Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.