Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2001

wannasail is on a distinguished road
Looking to buy.

Interested in info. on charter boats for sale out of the Caribbean. Had been looking some time ago but problems arose. Need to start again.
Looking for something 1990 to 1998. 35 to 40 foot. If price is right and boat is in good condition will go to 45 foot.
Attention "Viexile", "Capt. Ron" or anyone else.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Looking to buy.

Just out of curiousity, why are you restricting your search to "charter boats for sale out of the Caribbean". Most of these that I have seen have come out of charter in poor shape, with poor gear compared to ''owners models''. At least in the cases that I have been around the charter boats had less expensive sales prices than buying a well maintained sister yacht out of private hands, but by the time they were put back in shape they ended up being far more expensive and still had a ''shop worn'' quality that most well maintained private yachts just do not get.

Respectfully
Jeff
Old 12-21-2001

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Looking to buy.

He''s right. Hence, the name "charterbeater." Yachtworld covers about everything that''s for sale down hereabouts. Atlas Yachts in Puerto Rico, St. Thomas Yacht Sales and BVI Yacht Sales have the most general listings. Do a search for "yacht brokers" on yachtworld and buzz through the BVI Brokers. Moorings does their own thing, if thats what you really, really, really want. Seems to me Florida would be a little more conducive to an owner-sale "deal." I''ve given up on finding a boat down here and am bringing mine down from Maine in April-May. It may be a dreaded old Bristol 35 Yawl, and a dog downwind with 23.5'' of waterline, but it''s built WAY better and sails better than some of the people on this site would have you believe.....KW
Old 12-21-2001

bobneidhardt is on a distinguished road
Looking to buy.

Wannasail,
Great that you want a significant boat, but I agree with Jeff and VIEXILE. Charter boats get a lot of hard use, sometimes from not to careful charterers. They also are designed and laid out differently than private owners boats. An example might be too many cabins. Great for the charter business, but maybe not right for you.

I have a real life example. I bought a 1989 Irwin 43 Mk III 2 years ago. This past season, I met an owner of a sistership. He bought his out of the charter industry. I bought mine from a private owner. His main engine had 6000+ hours on it. Mine had 600. My boat has many more options than his boat. Things that I wanted, like a generator, heat/AC, Radar and more (yeah more things to break). He had no holding tanks and has had to deal with that.

When you compare the price difference, you really should consider the wear and tear. Certainly consider the features that are not there, that you will have/want to add. Not that you couldn''t find yourself with major repairs (like an engine) that you weren''t expecting when buying a boat from a private owner. You can, and probably will. Not using and maintaining a diesel is sometimes worse that using it alot, but maintaining it well. But why look for trouble!

I don''t mean to discourage you. I just want to help open your eyes a litte wider. Looking at boats and buying one is fun. Enjoy it. Good luck.

Bob
Old 12-21-2001

wannasail is on a distinguished road
Looking to buy.

Thanks Jeff, Viexile and Bob.
I''m still interested in a charter boat if one comes along that''s appealing. Will also look at private sales also based on your info.
Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas.