Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
Opinion of C&C 27 as coastal cruiser?

Hi all -
another question..
any opinions on an older C&C 27? I plan to sail mainly in Boston / Cape Cod bay (probably no more than 30 miles from landfall), maybe weekend trip sometimes, and MAYBE some racing just for fun (not trying to place in first place)...

So - opinions? This is a first boat for me, so looking for something simple, maybe singlehand around the bay for a day...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
The C & C 27 is a decent boat, a bit bigger than the Oday you asked about. They handle heavy weather reasonable well. There are actully 4 models.
The mark I and II are similiar but he II has a taller rig. The III is a much bigger boat, 27 ft 11 inches LOA. versus about 27' 4" for the other two. This one is the best of the group.

The IV came out about 1980 and was a newer design but smaller boat and probably had a diesel.

They all had balsa cored decks and almost all of them now have wet spots but a decent survey will turn this up. They also had mainly atomic 4 inboards which were a decent engine but getting a little old now.

Any one of them in good condition make a decent starter boat. You can club race them as well.
Old 01-31-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You might also look into the Pearson 28-2.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
As a C&C owner (alas, I now own two boats), I would be less reserved in my praise of C&Cs. They are better than "decent starter[s]," they sail well, are fast for their time and represent an excellent value. I am not specifically familiar with the 27 but would suggest that you try cncphotoalbum.com.
Old 01-31-2007

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
The C&C 27 Mark IV (introduced around 1980) is actually the same boat as the Mark III with a few tweaks. What is oftened referred to as the Mark V is an entirely new, and smaller, design that was introduced in the early 1980's. The C&C 27 class association is an excellent source for information on this boat. I've provided links to the class association and a review from Practical Sailor. Good luck.

http://www.cc27association.com/
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/reviews/c&c27.htm
Old 01-31-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Great Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tiger7
Hi all -
another question..
any opinions on an older C&C 27? I plan to sail mainly in Boston / Cape Cod bay (probably no more than 30 miles from landfall), maybe weekend trip sometimes, and MAYBE some racing just for fun (not trying to place in first place)...

So - opinions? This is a first boat for me, so looking for something simple, maybe singlehand around the bay for a day...

Thanks
The 27 Mark I is a great boat, being a smaller version of the legendary 30 Mark I. Do not consider the newer Marks as C&C cut materials and strength in the newer boats to reduce weight. The Mark Is are every sturdy boats, and quite fast. I think the C&C 27 Mark I is a much better boat than comparables from Catalina or other makes, and I'd say a good one should serve you well. When you get enough experience to understand what you bought, you won't be dissapointed. You might consider whether you can afford to move to a C&C 30 Mark I as the extra room and performance will allow the boat to satisfy you longer. The guy who bought my C&C 30 mark I 20 years ago still owns it...I should have kept it!
Old 01-31-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
I will second the positive comments on the C&C 27 and 30 MKI. These are well made, stiff, fast, and seakindly vessels that perform beyond their size. I am a 30 MkI owner and am continually impressed by the quality of design and build of these "good old boats".

You will find that C&C used better materials (they have stainless keel bolts) and very fine workmanship in their construction.
Old 01-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnewsboy
You will find that C&C used better materials (they have stainless keel bolts) and very fine workmanship in their construction.
Generally, stainless steel is a lousy material for keelbolts...

Keelbolts are usually sitting in water for long periods of time, and usually quite oxygen-deprived, since the water isn't circulating... so stainless steel will rust through fairly quickly in that situation. Galvanized steel bolts are stronger and usually a better choice for such a situation. Also, chloride stress cracking and crevice corrosion are serious issues with stainless steel keelbolts.

More expensive materials are necessarily better materials, as what is the best material is often determined by what the use is...

That said, I do like the C&C boats, and have sailed on the 27, 30 and 38.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-31-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Generally, stainless steel is a lousy material for keelbolts.
All I can tell you is that mine are bright and shiny and haven't been replaced.
Old 01-31-2007

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the tips guys, I seem to be getting a better idea of what sort of boat to get. I want to avoid the trap of just getting a bigger boat, I still think something around 27 is my best bet - small enough to singlehand whenever I want, large enough to weekend with a few friends.
I don't need the "best" boat around, but don't want the "worst" - I don't care about luxury, just decent quality - so I guess "mid-range" boats are my target.
C&C 27 looks pretty good so far - found one for $11,000 in maine, take a look:

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/263180610.html

Seems to be alright... any thoughts?