Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007

greencaptn is on a distinguished road
Alberg 30; horsepower?

I'm in the market for a small sailboat to liveaboard as i'm just out of college and have a little money saved up. I like the Alberg 30's and the Albin Vega. The Vega appeals to me b/c they generally have 10 or 12 horsepower engines as opposed to 25 or 30 horsepower that I generally see in the Albergs. I prefer the Albergs lines/looks which probably counts more than it should for me but like the idea of 10 horsepower fuel economy. What would be the result of an Alberg 30 with a 10 horsepower diesel. Is this underpowering the boat and if so what are the consequences? Thanks--Richard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2007

Tabris is on a distinguished road
In the days of the Alberg 30 the engine was an auxillary basicly to get you in and out of port. It is afterall a sailboat . 10hp is enough if you plan to sail. By modern standards it is underpowering but way too many sailors now no longer pull up the sail they just use their engines . I know of a couple who sailed the world on their Alberg 30 with no engine but thats taking it to the extream. There is no real underpowering in a "sail" boat. A smaller engine will mean you have to depend on your skills as a sailor and you will not motor as fast. Have a look at Ericson 29's and 32's as an inexpensive liveaboard and a well made boat as well.

Best of luck in your search
Old 01-31-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Most small diesels are either one or two cylinders. A single will provide about 8-10 HP and a twin some where betwen 13 and 18. You want a twin in a 30 footer. With a single you may not be able to get up to hull speed in flat water. If you need to motor into a bit of a sea expect to do about 3 knots.

If you are going to change out the old A4 make it worth while. A twin diesel will give you very good mileage much better that the gas engine.

Gary
Old 01-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You'd be surprised at how fuel efficient the diesel engines in an Alberg 30 are. I doubt that they use much more than .5 gallons an hour. The Alberg 30 is almost 80% heavier in displacement than the Albin Vega... so the engine size difference isn't really all that surprising. Also,given the displacement and full keel, you probably will want the additional horsepower, especially if you ever need to motor against tide and wind to get off a lee shore or into a harbor.

As a liveaboard, the Alberg 30 is probably a much better boat than the Albin Vega. Several families (couples with a small child) have lived aboard the Alberg 30.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-31-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.