Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
No, I would not buy one. i have heard both sides of the story. Some say it is ok, others say not.

You are better off waiting and looking for a cruising boat that has had liveaboards that just returned and are selling. You will get mostly gear that works, a boat that has been well taken care of, and is obviously capable.

If you are going to take out a loan on the boat, you may be better of with a final note in excess of 100k. That is the break point for a 20 yr note and lower interest rates. Why? Don't ask me. I have never understood it. But a 100k note will cost you less/month than a 99k note.

If you are paying cash, sit back and wait for the right boat. Get a broker that is knowledgeable. I like using brokers (that are knowledgeable). Where are you located?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Personally, I would not buy a boat that has been in the charter business.
Thats just me. They are probably very well and proffesionally maintained, but yet the interiors have most likely been abused by customers who don't care about the boat.

We can debate this subject just like every other subject on these threads for days, and you will get about ten different opinions.

For me, I looked for a slightly used boat. The search took a couple of years, but for me was worth it. Be patient, don't rush into any decisions.
Old 02-01-2007

rfagu is on a distinguished road
I live in Orlando but going back to my home town in Puerto Rico. I know I can get a good boat down there if I calm my ansiety to it. A lot o people buy them and their wife hated it and they dont use them. They will pay you to get them of their hands. A friend of mine bougth a Dufour 37 2004 or 2005 for les than 80k.I am just ready to go sailing .
Thanx for all your help. Whenever I am ready to buy and find a boat I will let you guys know to hear your perspective, because you have really opend my eyes.
Old 02-01-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Let me know. I will help in any way I can.

- CD
Old 02-01-2007
randy capedory 25d seraph

rtbates is on a distinguished road
NO. They are race boats pure and simple. Yea, sure you could cruise on one but why would you want to, unless it was the only boat available. The only J30 I've been on had no standing headroom and you couldn't get it the heave to if your life depended on it. AND off shore it just might!. It's like saying, " does a 2'x6' walk in closet make a good bedroom?"