SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Buying a Used Beneteau First 27.7 Warranty Issues (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/28733-buying-used-beneteau-first-27-7-warranty-issues.html)

wilko 02-04-2007 09:59 AM

Buying a Used Beneteau First 27.7 Warranty Issues

Hi Guys and Girls.

I am presently in the process of buying a 1.5 yr old First 27.7. Prior to doing the deal one of the marina cleaners pointed out a problem with the lifting keel, in that the nylon keel box liner had dropped 2" out the bottom of the keel box. The owner has put it into the Beneteau dealer for a warranty fix, the problem being attributed to a sheared screw.

However I have discovered that although the owner has had the boat inspected by the dealer and engine and saildrive inspected/serviced on schedule the dealer has never filled out the warranty manual to reflect this work and other warranty work they have performed.

More importantly now the dealer would appear to be reluctant to fill out the warranty card. Should I purchase the boat I am worried that I will have no legal recourse to the warranty which if they decided Beneteau could simply say they boat was not serviced on schedule and hence the warranty I inherit is no longer valid.

Has anyone had similar experiences or could offer any thoughts.

Giulietta 02-04-2007 10:19 AM

Was the problem fixed???

sailingdog 02-04-2007 10:44 AM

Does the current owner have proof of the warranty work being done, and by whom? If so, then it is probably a moot point... if not, then it may be an issue.

wilko 02-04-2007 11:05 AM

Yep the problem has been fixed, it just seems bizzare to me that the manufacturer would produce a documnet to have stamped by its dealers for yearly inspections, which is required to keep the warranty valid, then the same dealer that sold the boat new and completed the maintenance will not sign the document.

I live in Dubai in the Middle East though and its a funny part of the world !

sailingdog 02-04-2007 11:40 AM

You should also be aware that many warranties do not transfer past the first owner. You should double check to make sure that the one on the boat you are looking at does indeed transfer with the sale of the boat.

TejasSailer 02-04-2007 06:01 PM

I think I'd ask try to ask Beneteau specifically about this particular boat and this specific situation.

Sailormann 02-05-2007 02:16 AM

I would look for another boat - if things are falling out of it after a year and a half - you should be worried !

wilko 02-05-2007 03:36 AM

Thanks guys, the issue has been resolved by Beneteau and the dealer. The warranty on this type does transfer beyond the initial owner providing the documentation is upto date. The dealer has now agreed and updated the warranty documentation to reflect this.

It is hard indeed to belive the keel box liner can fall out the boat after a years use, its only held on by one screw by all accounts !

Thanks for the advice all.