Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007

byrondv is on a distinguished road
What other boats should I look at?

I am sitting in my living room watching the last of the daylight iluminating the incredibly cold looking iceicles hanging outside my porch. The West Michigan area just got slammed with an ungodly amount of snow, at least for what I am used to ( http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_arti...?storyid=69821 ) and my thoughts have turned to my poor little Hunter 25 sitting in the snow out by Lake Michigan.

More importantly though, I have started looking though boats.com for a new (to me) boat that is a little more comfortable then my Hunter 25.

I sail out of Muskegon, Mi on Lake Michigan - so most of what I do is coastal cruising and day trips.

My price range is between 50 and 100k and I am looking for something that:
- Is comfortable enough to convince the woman to spend some time on it
- Can reasonably be sailed short-handed (normally only have 1-2 others with me)
- Capable of still moving along with lighter winds
- Space for a few people on a week long trip (my parents have been begging for a cruise up the Michigan coast and the 25' is a bit small for 4 people over a week)

I have been looking at two boats: a Hunter 40 http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...&srh_next=true
and a Comet 13:
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...&srh_next=true

Are there any other boats I should check out? Should I look at smaller boats? Or, perhaps, just fly over to Portugal and steal Giulietta?

What boats would you look at? You guys are my last hope - I have been banned from talking about boats for the remainder of the day (a cruel, cruel punishment).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2007

Aasem is on a distinguished road
Have you considered an Ericson 38?

Much better build quality than a Hunter, and you get a lot of boat for the money. They scoot really well in light air, too.
Old 02-04-2007

Oh, and check out the listings linked to here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...isplay.php?f=3

In fact, check out the entire site. Lots of E38 owners have been successful racing, and cruising to distant parts.

Here's one E38 from San Francisco that is currently in Mazatlan. Read the blog, and you'll get a flavor for the boat's capabilities. http://www.sailblogs.com/member/calou/
Old 02-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
My advice since most any production boat will meet your needs, is to go for something with a high wife approval factor. To me that means a boat of more recent vintage (i.e. built in the last 10 years) that will feel open and spacious and "new" rather than simply big and old.
Two boats..Catalina 34mkii and the Tartan 3100 would be likely candidates but you may feel the Tartan is too cramped for your needs, though it will be the better performer under sail and built/finished nicely. One of the Beneteaus may also be appealing but I am not as familiar witht he different models there. Try www.yachtworld as well as boats.com for your search.
I would not touch a legend series but the comet looks interesting but may be a bit of a handful.Good luck with the search.
Old 02-04-2007

Since I am a fan of real sailboats, and not floating living rooms, I would stay away from the Hunter/Catalina/Beneteau ilk. Sure, they appeal to the wives in the showrooms, but you'll both regret them out at sea.

A real boat may have smaller interiors, but at least they're livable once you shove off from the dock. If a marina queen is what you're after, then by all means, buy one of the trilogy. But if you experience wind or waves, get something that will point, endure the punishment, and won't punish the occupants.

Also, something built within the last 10 years is in need of major re-fitting. They would likely have original sails, hoses, thru-hulls, etc. Something a little older will likely have newer sails and other perishable items. Lower prices, yet newer outfitting? Ya can't lose.

Of course, something from the disposable trilogy will suck if it's more than 10 years old. Therefore, buy something with reputable build quality.
Old 02-04-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Mostly Byron, look around and find what appeals to you and your wife. It's your boat, your money ......

Most any 32-40 foot boat that passes survey is going to be alright, if it's what you like.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
aasam..While I have no problem with the Ericson...they are nice boats and excellent under sail...your statements about production boats are pretty over the top. Ericson after all was a production boat too. And lets not forget that Ericsons of that era are prone to blisters tank leaks and deck leaks and have some cored sections which can be affected by these leaks. they also had alchohol stoves and iceboxes rather than refriegeration and while those may have been retro-fitted into models currently on the market...there is no dedicated propane locker and refrigeration has to be done right. Catalinas under 10 years old will quite arguably be in a lot better shape than 20 year old ericsons and have no blister worries. What exactly would need a MAJOR refitting on a Catalina of 10 years? In the great lakes even the rigging would still be pristine.
Old 02-04-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Can't people just give their opinions with out being hostile. State what it is you like about the boat you are suggesting. Nothing else is needed.
Old 02-04-2007

byrondv is on a distinguished road
Aasem: I hadn't considered the Ericson 38. Having fun looking though the websites you linked. I will have to show some of the pictures to the girl when the 'no talking about boats' ban is up. Will have to see if it gets past the first lines of defense though.

I can definitely see your point on 'real sailboats' - however, I plan to use it as a floating living room. I plan to watch movies, play on the computer, and watch the fireworks over Lake Muskegon all while sitting in my slip on the cheapest waterfront property I could find. Not because I don't think you are right... But the only way I get a bigger boat is if the girl enjoys it. The only way I get to be on the boat is if the girl enjoys it.

And, well, that means it has to be a floating living room at some level.

Cam: I really didn't think about newer boats, but looking at some pictures and reviews I can see I am going to have to spend a bit more time looking though them. Cost will make them a bit smaller - but they definitely look like they have livable interiors, which are 'pretty' enough to pass the woman's test. Probably more so then the bigger / older boats. They look a bit easier to handle as well. Thanks for the advice.

PBzeer: Good advice. Thanks.

In general - I have heard some thoughts on boats that I hadn't heard around the marina. Things like West Sails aren't always high quality. Or that major repairs are needed on production boats after 10 years. While I belive that a Hunter isn't going to be as well built as other boats - what issues are going to show up (assuming normal maintance has been performed)?

I just went with a friend to buy a dingy from a guy who lived 6 months out of the year on a Hunter 40 (which when he sold it was over 20 years old). I talked to him about it for a while, and during the three years he owned it he sailed quite a bit, including several trips of a few hundred miles and had no issues. Not that one good case indicates all good cases... but does anyone have any horror stories about Hunters?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-04-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aasem
Since I am a fan of real sailboats, and not floating living rooms, I would stay away from the Hunter/Catalina/Beneteau ilk.
Of course, something from the disposable trilogy will suck if it's more than 10 years old. Therefore, buy something with reputable build quality.
Aasem, I am curious...what do you sail?

Photo by Joe McCary