Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Sailingguy, I know the 40.7 pretty well...we used to race against them..and sometimes in them...there's a lot of them here....

the 40,7 can be single handed, and it depends on your experience, but there are no in mast or boom furlers for that boat..the first .7 series are race boats, hence the main on the floor and the removable seats...if you have no experience don't go there..It can "bite" you...Its a racer/cruiser, fast but not confortable...The genoa whinches are far from the wheel and requires a good auto pilot to help you tack...the boat need constant adjustment on the main traveller, as opposed to other cruising boats, so seating on the wheel side must be done. Inside is smaller than normal and space for storage is minimal...the boat is built sturdier, but lighter, and less "nice" finishings there, too. Tank and engines obviously are also smaller... sometimes too small...Several friends have problems with water incursions, and badly finished fiberglass deck fixings..

If you are coming to Europe, and are going to buy a boat here, why you will get a Beneteau??? Please look at the Dehler, MUCH MUCH MUCH better than any French boat, or have a look at the very pretty Grand Soliel...also very good boats...me, today...stay away from French boats....

If I were in your situation, the dehler would be it....and preferably one with only 2 to 3 years age...

http://www.dehler.com/dehlers.php?id...lers.php?id=38

http://grandsoleil.net

For the other cruising boats I don't know nothing, specially the Benetau as they make more boat models than I can count...

Bellow you can find a 40,7 being beatten by an "unkown boat" by "armchair wannabes"

Last edited by Giulietta; 02-07-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Giu,

You back?? Good to hear. Some of the members here kept spreading rumors about you not knowing how to sail and getting lost in a Pearson, etc. I defended you. Want to make sure you know that.

- CD
Old 02-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Giu,

You back?? Good to hear. Some of the members here kept spreading rumors about you not knowing how to sail and getting lost in a Pearson, etc. I defended you. Want to make sure you know that.

- CD
Nahhh, just took some time off to do some Scuba with the boy....and wonder around here...just relaxing

And they're right, I can't sail for s**t....I'm just good with photoshop and get photos of the net and paste my face on them...while I am seating confortably in my armchair.....

Weird....the Pearson was gone yesterday...didn't even say goodbye, never got the ride....
Old 02-07-2007

sailingguy123 is on a distinguished road
The Dehler and Grand Soleil are nice boats, but they are too expensive even if used and it does not look like they come with furling mainsails. I don't really need such a well-built boat. I think the Beneteau will give me the quality and comfort of boat I need for my 2-3 months of sailing per year.
Old 02-07-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I used to charter an Oceanus (390 or 395). Great sailing boat. You need to ognore all of the Beneteau bashers online as there are many. I generally keep my mouth shut on what kind of boat to buy as most askers are in the dark about their question. It is obvious by the way you framed your question you know what you want. The use that you have described is exactly what the Beneteau shines at. Keep in mind that they build boats for the charter fleets and that should tell you alot since you are going to use it the same way, a week at a time. In fact based on your post above, maybe owning a charter boat is the way to go for you, have you considered that. Good luck in your decision and don't let the naysayers bring you down.
pigslo
Old 02-07-2007

My concern with owning a charter boat is that they see heavy use and I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of replacing equipment.
Old 02-07-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigslo
I used to charter an Oceanus (390 or 395). Great sailing boat. You need to ognore all of the Beneteau bashers online as there are many. I generally keep my mouth shut on what kind of boat to buy as most askers are in the dark about their question. It is obvious by the way you framed your question you know what you want. The use that you have described is exactly what the Beneteau shines at. Keep in mind that they build boats for the charter fleets and that should tell you alot since you are going to use it the same way, a week at a time. In fact based on your post above, maybe owning a charter boat is the way to go for you, have you considered that. Good luck in your decision and don't let the naysayers bring you down.
pigslo
Pigs, sorry to ask, but where did you read any bashing or naysaying in this thread about the boat he wants??
Old 02-07-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Read the whole thread, Giu. Anyways, I found out taht your boat actually came from a Beneteau mold Giu. That's right, Giu. My grandfather's second wife was Portugeuse and all my mothers half brothers are Greek and Portuguese. I called my uncle in Boston and he did some checking and I got the scoop on you. You are from a very small country, Giu. Does the name Giuseppe mean anything to you. Don't worry, your secretis safe with me!
pigslo
Old 02-07-2007

hehehe

pigs I read it, I thought you were saying that I had naysay and bashed the beneteau, which I did not, just pointed out that the 40.7 (not the 40) was not for him, as it is a race boat... (and not that good at it by the way) and of course also pointed the Dehler and the GS....because if he goes...at least he can go in style....

By the way, Giuseppe is an Italian name..in Portuguese its Josť, and my boat's mould was from Wauquiez!!!

See the resemblance bellow......

The beautiful Wauquiez....

my boat.....

Last edited by Giulietta; 02-07-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2007

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far. Your comments have been very helpful, but please do not let me give you the impression that I have completely made up my mind on the Oceanis 40. If you know of a better coastal cruiser for the money, I am open to suggestions and welcome your comments.

However, I would also like to ask the following question: If I were to decide to do some bluewater sailing, what are your suggestions for the best used boat I could get for around $175,000? Please keep in mind that I plan to buy this boat in Turkey, so some american models that come to mind may not be very easy to find.

Also, what sorts of things should I watch out for when trying to find a relatively problem-free used boat? I have heard many comments about avoiding charter boats. Is the standard procedure to find something that looks good and then have a marine surveyor take a look at it?

Last edited by sailingguy123; 02-07-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.