Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
There's a Dehler (DS) and a Grand Soleil a NAuticat and even an older Halberg Rassy. All waiting for you...now go...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...75000&cint=289
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2007

sailingguy123 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for searching yachworld for me giulietta.

The Hallberg Rassy here is 20 years old...do these boats still have bluewater capabilities after that many years? What about maintenance on such old but well-regarded boats? Also, unfortunately the boats that are on the yachtworld link are all above my goal of around $175,000. Do you have any recommendations for a bluewater cruiser more in my price range?

Any thoughts on the following boats:

1984 39' Swan:
http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/b...g_id=1590&url=

1983 42' Hallberg-Rassy Ketch
http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/b..._id=75052&url=

1992 43' Dehler 43cws
http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/b...se&searchtype=

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 02-07-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Actually Giu, my uncles names were Andrew and Bobby, but thanks for playing along. As for what to spend 175 on used.... now you,ve gone and done it. Giu's ideas of going to yachtworld are a good start. From there the process gets very complicated as you have gone from a thumbs up or down question to one more subjective. If I had 175 to spend on a bluewater boat (I don't, I am a poor boy) I might think of a Valiant 40 or a Tayana Vancouver 42 or a.....
pigslo
Old 02-07-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
S-guy-
I'd second the thought that if you're new to sailing, you will be better off chartering than buying in a hurry. Consider, you want a boat for two months. But, you'll be tying up $175,000, more likely $200,000 before you are done because there is always something else. (And does that price include VAT or any other EU taxes you will be required to pay?) Then there's insurance, and since you've never owned a boat before and have limited experience, and none in those waters, they're gonna clock you for that. Ask the broker to get you an insurance estimate if you can't get one locally, I'd be curious to see what that would run.

But $200,000 banked for a year, if you get 10%, will put $20,000 towards paying for your charter bill--which includes insurance. If you can get a decent charter rate, you might actually SAVE money that way. And, if you can charter three or four different boats, say for two weeks each, you'd get a chance to see how they perform.

Meanwhile, you'd also save another $20-30,000 by not buying a boat--because it will lose that much value in the first year. Well...maybe $30-40,000, because if you buy a boat, you'll need to store it someplace, haul it, bottom paint it, recommission it the following year. Boats cost money, even when they are not in use.

So, chartering a boat could actually cost you WAY less than buying one, in the short time. Way more than buying the wrong boat, or finding out the family doesn't like boating, etc.

Boats in that size are also all very different animals. The Beneteau "First" series are aimed at "performance cruising", i.e. yes, they will ruin the cockpit by putting the traveler in the middle of it, if that makes the boat perform better or easier to shorthand. Every boat will handle very differently. Would you buy a mail order wife, sight unseen, from a catalog that says "They're all about 5'7" tall with brown eyes and a good temper." ? Boats handle differently, some are pigs in light weather, some are pigs in heavy weather. Some are elegant ladies that also can kick like a mule when need be.

There are other large issues. You ask about furling and power winches...many sailors will tell you that power winches are a heavy, expensive, unreliable toy, and that any type of in-mast or in-boom reefing is another additional weight and expense that's totally unnecessary. Yes, reefing a main on a 40-50' boat single-handed can be a handful, but once you learn to outsmart the boat (they're fast and powerful, but usually not too smart) you should be able to reef that sail manually--and not have to worry about sails and winches jamming or failing.

I suspect you will have much more FUN if you charter several boats and get to experience the individualities of them, as well as saving money.
Old 02-08-2007

Thank you for your comment hellosailor. Do you know how much typical insurance rates are for a new sailor with a 40 foot boat?
Old 02-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sdawg...you misinterperted what I said. While I have no objection to a more robust boat than a bene 40 footer...my only point was to get her fitted out for sea properly with systems that can be handled easily when at sea....specifically a decent mainsail handling/shortening system that does not require leaving the cockpit. Also included in that general advice would be opting for heavy duty ground tackle and windlass, perhaps upsizing the winches, perhaps an inner forestay or gale sail etc.
I think the boat will be fine in the Med in season but since distance cruisng is planned, it is best to make investments in ease of handling/safety now rather than have a problem or need an upgrade later.

Sailingguy...Turkey is beautiful and interesting and the Greek islands are close as well. Sounds like a great place to base your boat...and you can always ship it to the states or caribe for 20k or so if you decide you want to see those places.
Old 02-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sguy...the insurance rates for a boat will vary by cruising ground. Chesapeake Bay is a lot less than Florida...Florida is less expensive than Caribbean...I don't know what the med coverage will cost but you can bet it won't be as cheap as the $2k annually that boat will cost you to insure for the Chesapeake (ballpark on 200k boat). I'd at LEAST double that as a working number or ask for a quote from one of the international marine insurers. I know there are a bunch of Americans that winter in Mamaris...you might wanna try hooking up with some of them online (try the SSCA board) to get better answers on the stuff you will need to know that is Turkey Specific. It might pay you to join SSCA as you will get acceess to their archives which I know had some pretty recent articles on wintering in the Mamaris area (in addition to lots of other help from some good folks.)
Old 02-08-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sguy-
I don't know what rates would be these days. They will of course depend on the coverage, the value of the boat, besides how you are rated. You might contact Al Golden at International Marine Insurance Services, 410-643-8330; fax - 410-643-8331 1-800-541-4647; email:algolden@imiscorp.net Those are old numbers so if the area code has changed or anything, try the web.
IMIS isn't cheap but Al's a professional and a gentlemen, he'll tell you right out what the differences in policies are. Cheap boat insurance can be a mistake, like so much else in life.
Old 02-08-2007

Thanks for the contact information hellosailor. I will send him an email and hopefully he can provide me with a good estimate of how much insurance would cost if I bought a boat.
Old 02-09-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Sailingguy...

IF you are keeping the boat in Turkey (as I understood you want to do) DO THE INSURANCE THERE, NOT IN THE US, as I believe you will leave the boat registred there...Insurance for a 40's in Europe is around 1000 Euros per year, give or take 200 Euros, they don't care if you can sail or not...they will ask where you will be sailing and how many days a year...pretty simple... and less (MUCH LESS) confusing and money scamming as it is in the US.. (I pay 900 Euros a year fully coverage including racing, and 0% liability for a 42', I had to show a copy of my Skipper Licence as owner)

Sould you want to fly the US flag..then you can't stay over 6 months....so registration must be well thought...

Once you decide to go to the States and register the boat in the US, then worry about it then, not before the bride is in the church...

Here's what I would do if I were you....and I wouldn't anounce I have 175 to spend. Say you only have 120K....OK??? Be smart...

I'd buy a plane ticket to Italy, Southern Spain, Southern France or Portugal....and buy ther boat there, where the boats are MUCH BETTER QUALITY, and also more choice available and better maintained....Turkey is not exactly a good place to buy, its poor, the selection is small, the boats are old and/or neglected, or have more "miles than a road hooker"...go to a country where there are more boats sailing, look at all the ones availble, decide on one, (take at least 2 weeks to buy a boat), buy one THEN take it to Turkey.

Turkey is not European Union, so you may buy a NEW ONE tax free (export version, you then have 2 months to get it outta here, most yards in Europe can even provide provisional export registration), then pay the taxes in turkey and register it there....check with Turkish Customs....

I don't know what you see in Turkey, but there are less complicated places around, like Italy, Malta, Greece....

But please DON'T buy the boat there....also since what you want to do is not really BIG BLUE WATER as they are meaning here in SAILNET, get a benetau, A jeanneau or even a Bavaria...They'll serve you good for what you want...

REMEMBER, don't think American if you want it in Turkey, go with the flow, with the locals and do it as they do....
G