Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
more "miles than a road hooker"...G
Do what G said. He gave you good advise.

Buy the boat in Portugal and he will help you sail to Turkey.
That is if G can clear customs in Turkey, they may not let him in.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Giu...I think his plan is to buy the boat and take delivery in the eastern med and then make his way to turkey for "permanent" berthing. If he documents the boat as a US vessel I think the boat can stay for quite long periods in Turkey without a problem.
"Foreign-flagged yachts, on condition that they are sailed by their owners once every two years, can remain in Turkey up to five years without a requirement for any permission. You can leave the country by another means of transport during this period after you leave your yacht at a marina or a moorage licensed by the Ministry of Tourism"
"Foreign sailors arriving in Turkey on their own yacht are now eligible for a two-year visa. A five year visa can be obtained in advance from the Turkish Diplomatic Mission in one's country of domicile. Residence Permits are available for periods starting from 90 days up to 5 years. They are also multiple entry, however departure and entry dates continue to be stamped in your passport. A foreigner who is the owner of a yacht, his wife and children and crew can obtain longer term Residence Permits, on condition that they have a fully paid contract to keep their yacht in a marina for at least the length of time of the Residence Permit application. The maximum permitted period on first application is 2 years. Longer periods up to 5 years are possible on subsequent application."
**********All this from noonsite.com *************

So...it appears that Turkey is a far better place to keep a boat long term than any place within the EU where you would have to worry about VAT being assessed AND compliance with the Schengen treaty personally and be forced to move the boat out of EU waters every 18 months.
All of this will change dramatically if Turkey gains admittance to the EU or if the boat is determined to be used as an unlicensed charter vessel rather than a recreational vessel.
Giu...does the above sound correct and make sense to you?
Old 02-09-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I admit I thought the Turkish system was already like the EU one.. my wrong...but still would consult with them. How old is that info?? So if he can stay up to 5 years is great...

I don't think Turkey will ever join the EU...just me thinking...
Old 02-21-2009
Sailor

CanDrac is on a distinguished road
We own a Beneteau 43 (very similar to the 40, as you know) and are on our way from New York to Barcelona, Spain via the Caribbean. We're in the Dominican Republic right now so we already have over 2,000 miles under the keel. Let's just say that we are definitely putting the boat to the test and getting to know it pretty well. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

-franc
S/V Can Drac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2009

deniswfoster is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Tell me when you arrive in Barcelona. I am in Roses a short distance to the North of the same coast.

Have you reinforced the autopilot tablet fixation and rudder post ? If yes would you have pictures and the Beneteau service notice.

We just installed a watermaker and and an upgrade of the electrical system.

If you want more details just let me know.

Denis Foster
Old 02-21-2009
Sailor

CanDrac is on a distinguished road
Yes! The Beneteau dealer in Charleston, SC fixed it for us in no time. They are great! E-mail me and I'll send you the details: CanDrac@sailforwater.com

We should reach Barcelona in early July. You can read about the trip and follow our progress on our site.