Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007

hinghambaysailors is on a distinguished road
Narrowing our list of boats...

We're looking at used boats and have finally narrowed our list to the following: Beneteau First 37.5's, Ericson 38's, Cal 39's, and O'Day 39's (Jeanneau)- any pluses/minueses to these? Opinions? I know style is a matter of taste.

We want a well-built, reasonably priced racer/cruiser (cruiser/racer) that's comfortable for weekend and week-long coastal cruising with another couple or family. We currently sail a C&C 35' Mk I and have had it for six years- we love it, but need more space and privacy. We race on weekends and Weds. nights, too, so we are trying to avoid an all-out cruiser. It's a balancing act.

We're looking at these models this weekend/next week- any opinions would be appreciated or anything we should be on the lookout for.....

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
If I had to vote, it would be the First. Not a real comfortable cruiser, but a better racer. I am sure Giu will have some choice commets for me, though. Of course, you could get a MacGregor and win everytime!!! Just kidding. Of those four, I would get the Bene for that application, but I am not a racer if I can help it (though I have raced on a First).

- CD
Old 02-08-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinghambaysailors
We're looking at used boats and have finally narrowed our list to the following: Beneteau First 37.5's, Ericson 38's, Cal 39's, and O'Day 39's (Jeanneau)- any pluses/minueses to these? Opinions? I know style is a matter of taste.

We're looking at these models this weekend/next week- any opinions would be appreciated or anything we should be on the lookout for.....

Thanks.
I think these are all nice boats, but I think the Ericson 38 is the pick of the litter. The 38 is a bigger version of the 35 II. Our last time in the market, we lost a bidding war for a 35 II before closing on a CS 36T. I think you'll find the interior finish and exterior design pleasing, very sweet. The Cal 39 is a good sailer, but is an older design and ougtht to run $10-20K less than an Ericson, making it a good choice if $$ decide. Not much to say for the Beneteau or Jenneau (my ownership of a First 30E was a brief, unsatisfactory experience, be sure to try out the double bunks with your significant other and consider ventilation), other than they are a cut below the Ericson IMHO.

I concur with SD's comments on the Beneteau if racing were the primary consideration, as long as the version you select doesn't have a relatively short mast (as the 30E did).

PS there's an Ericson 38 at HYC should you want to speak with an owner..

Last edited by sailingfool; 02-08-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2007

Thanks for the replies. We're looked at an Ericson 38, O'Day 39, and Cal 39 today- we'll look at the Beneteau 37.5's next week along with a few more Ericson 38's.

All around favorite was the Ericson so far- nice lines and seemed extremely solid and interior was nice/different- not cookie-cutter. Cal was a solid boat, just more traditional, and yes, less $$$ with great space below, so still not completely out of contention...
Old 02-10-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I think the Cal 39 and the Bene will be the best sailors for beer can races. I used to sail the Cal 39, no aft cabin if I remember correctly? Could be a problem for couples. I looked at the Bene First and could not see myself spending a week on it with other couples unless it was over 40 feet. Looked at the Ericson 28 and 35mkII, seemed very solid. Like you said, matter of taste. Good luck, have fun, and buy what fits.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-09-2007

Thanks for all the posts.

We looked at a Cal 39 MkIII (? I think) which had an aft cabin.
The one we looked at needed A LOT of cosmetic (and non-cosmetic) work, but seemed solid overall.

After 6 months of searching, we ended up buying a Pearson 36-2 (not on the narrow list!). We really liked the 38' Ericsons but couldn't find one that didn't need at least $10K+ in work at a decent price.
Old 03-09-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations on finding something that you found worth the money. Hope you enjoy it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats... what will you be naming her, or are you keeping the old name?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2007

We'll be renaming her "Aquavit" - any suggestions on how to officially rename a boat? Any kind of ceremony we should be aware of? We are slightly superstitious, but name must be changed...

We thought of just toasting to her with a shot (or two) of her namesake!
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
John Vigor's boat renaming ceremony is probably the way to go. See this site.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.