Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Pearson 30 vs. Cape Dory 25D?

Different boats for certain... I'm looking for a weekender for my family of four. I grew up sailiing a Cape Dory Typhoon and raced (crewed) Lightnings and O'Day Mariners when I was in high school. I've located a sweet CD 25D and probably 2 Pearson 30s (1977 and a 1978) - seeing them both today -- maybe down to one... or none after taking a look

Full keel vs fin becomes a stability/comfort thing -- important for my young family. No plans to race -- mostly day sailing and occasional weekends. Comfort is important (I'm 6'2" -- both CD 25D and P30 have standing head room and the P30 has a vberth for my 2 young girls.)

Thoughts on build quality? General thoughts on these two boats?

Read some critical reviews on boatus.com by Jack Horner regarding thru-hulls on the P30. The CD 25D gets kudos in John Vigor's "25 Boats...."

Comments/thoughts welcomed. The P30 is a bigger boat... does greater length = greater comfort? (loaded question - not always).

Thanks in advance. New on this board and have read a lot of good insight into other inquiries.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Your sailing area would be helpful info in choosing a boat. Also, when you say weekender, do you mean on the hook or at the dock? Are you looking at these two models because of availablity, or is it what you've found that you like? And lastly, what are you looking to spend (possibly germaine to the previous question?)?

From what you've posted, I would lean toward the Pearson. Though it would seem you have an affinity for the Cape Dory. 5 feet is a whole lot more room on a boat, especially with children, as it can give a sense of privacy/seperation over a weekend. Regarding the Pearson, if there was a problem with the thru-hulls, it has quite likely been taken care of by now. There are though, a number of other makes that might suit as well, if not better.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The Cape Dory is a much smaller boat than a P30, I would assume about 50% of the interior space. It should have a better fit/finish as the high cost has to reflect something...however the fit and finish of a P30 are OK. If you pursue the Cape Dory, be sure to spend 30 mintues down below with the entire family, I would think that would eliminate the CD, the V bearth is usually the getaway spot. Do you want to spend the weekend four people in a pup tent, or in a four person tent? ....the real issue for me relative to the CD 25 is the weak sailing performance, the P30 has a PHRF of 174 versus 252 for the Cape Dory. You will spend less time sailing with a CD, more powering...If you want the pleasures of a classical mini-yacht, the CD seems a good choice.
For what you want to do, I would recommend you also look at the Catalina 30 which is a great family boat. The Tartan 30 and C&C 30 are perfoance classical of that period and highly recomended - here's what I think is an wonderful example of such
http://web.mac.com/bicgreen1/iWeb/Site/Home.html
Old 02-10-2007

Sailing area would be the LI Sound. I'm thinking most overnights on the hook vs a marina (marinas, for me, are too much like cramped, commercial campgrounds -- fun for some, but I much prefer the quiet sound of water against the hull vs listening to someone else's cd player).

I agree that 5ft is a huge difference and the lack of a vberth is a potential issue. My kids (7 and 11) already have it figured out that it's their space, so if I end up with a CD....
Old 02-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
The Cape Dory is a much smaller boat than a P30, I would assume about 50% of the interior space. It should have a better fit/finish as the high cost has to reflect something...however the fit and finish of a P30 are OK. If you pursue the Cape Dory, be sure to spend 30 mintues down below with the entire family, I would think that would eliminate the CD, the V bearth is usually the getaway spot. Do you want to spend the weekend four people in a pup tent, or in a four person tent? ....the real issue for me relative to the CD 25 is the weak sailing performance, the P30 has a PHRF of 174 versus 252 for the Cape Dory. You will spend less time sailing with a CD, more powering...If you want the pleasures of a classical mini-yacht, the CD seems a good choice.
For what you want to do, I would recommend you also look at the Catalina 30 which is a great family boat. The Tartan 30 and C&C 30 are perfoance classical of that period and highly recomended - here's what I think is an wonderful example of such
http://web.mac.com/bicgreen1/iWeb/Site/Home.html
Great thoughts. I'll be certain to check out the Tartan and C&C. I've always equated Tartans with being more performance oriented (at least in the case of the Tartan 10). Of course, I've never sailed one either.
Old 02-10-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I might also recommend that you go to yachtworld.com. You can place in the parameters you want (price, length, etc.) and come up with a broad spectrum of boats so that you can do some comparison shopping, so to speak.

Also, you might want to just "walk the docks", and get an idea of what others are sailing in the area.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-10-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
performance - yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas
Great thoughts. I'll be certain to check out the Tartan and C&C. I've always equated Tartans with being more performance oriented (at least in the case of the Tartan 10). Of course, I've never sailed one either.
CLucas,
You are correct that Tartan (and C&C) are more performance oriented - but you don't really give up any cruising comforts for the performance, plus as these boats age, the price premiums of a Tartan or C&C largely dissapear into the differences related to condition/equipment.

I guess what I just don't get, relative to discussions about various sailboats, is why the ability to sail to windward in a breeze, like a freight train, with a smile on your face and a light hand on the helm, isn't the first consideration in selecting a boat...i guess to each their own
Old 02-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, IIRC, the Pearson 30 is a fin keel, the CD 25D is a full-keel. Totally different types of boats... I think it is more important that you figure out what kind of sailing you want to do, and then look at boats that are suitable for it... rather than looking at boats blindly.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
For Long Island sound the Pearson is the far better family boat. In addition to the other boats suggested, I'd also look at the Hunters of the same era as they were decently built and roomy like the Catalina.
Old 02-12-2007
randy capedory 25d seraph

rtbates is on a distinguished road
Apples and oranges. The 25D is a perfect TWO person boat, bullet proof, has bronze and glass opening ports, full keel , bronze seacocks and it's drop dead gorgeous. It can be trailered to CA and sailed across the Pacific. The Pearson has more room, it ain't bullet proof, has alum & plastic ports, most don't open, a fin keel, and and it's looks are Ok.

Randy Cape Dory 25D Seraph,