Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2001

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Passagemaker for less than $100k

We''re about three years from retirement and have begun the search for a good bluewater boat. There will only be two of us sailing 90% of the time. We figure 32'' to 37'' will be adaquate for our modest needs. As far as we''re concerned SAFETY is #1, seakindliness and comfort are #2 & 3, speed and windward performance come in last (pardun the pun). As a result we''ve concentrated on boats that have a D/L ratio of over 275, and whose capsize ratio is less than 1.90.

We''ll likely be home ported on the western shore of the Cheasapeake, a draft less tha 6'' feet will also be important. Also, we already know we are likely to run aground (several times), so a full or modified full keel (wihout a CB) is a criterion.

With those parameters in mind, we''ve come up with a list of prospective boats that seem to satisfy most if not all the criteria. The list is rather long, but the following is just the top ten. They are: Bayfield 36 cutter, Endeavour 37 ketch, Tayana Mariner 36 ketch, Westsail 32 cutter, Westerly 33 ketch (if we can find one), Baba 35 cutter, Cheoy Lee 35 ketch, Loomis Sarah 32 sloop or cutter, Offshore 33 cat ketch or sloop, and Tradewind 35 cutter.

All of these boats have at least 6 tons of displacement, and we think that is a fair indicator of seakindliness and in most cases - solid construction. Also, most are either cutters or ketches which we think are easier to sail than sloops (more sails, but each one is smaller and thus easier to handle).

What do you think of our list? Are there any that you would remove or add, and why?

Thanks in advance for your learnered responses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2001

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

kimberlite is a tartan 37 c/b.
there are many in the cheasapeake (sp?)

i love the centerboard for skinny water.
i wouldn''t worry about the centerboard for offshore, the boat has plenty of ballast and has a nice motion with the board up or down.
we have been knocked down flat a few times and she pops right up.

there is an unbelievable amount of storage on board. we carry about 115 gallons if water and about 140 gallons fo diesel, tons of spares lots of food and still everything is in lockers and nothing on deck.

it is a very easy boat to sail as a sloop or cutter

if you would like to see kimberlite fitteout for offshore take a look at http://kimberlite1.homestead.com
there is also a video clip of us running downwind in a gale.
eric
Old 12-30-2001

Thanks for the info about your Tartan 37. I do very much like them, and I''m sure they can be good blue-water boats, but we''re pretty set against CBs. The problem (as we see it) - What if it''s stuck in the down position and were trying to enter a shallow draft area?

Since I''m responding, let me mention other boats on our list. They include: Downeaster 32 cutter, Endurance 35 cutter, Allied Princess 36 ketch, and Vancouver 32 cutter. Some of these are purely hypothetical, as we have not found any for sale in some time. However, we have three years to find a boat, and I''m sure our criteria will likely change by the time we get to the actual purchase stage. That''s why I''m asking for more input.

Thanks again, and please provide more comments and/or suggestions.
Old 12-30-2001

rmiille is on a distinguished road

You might consider a Souther Cross 35. Mine is a Cutter. Good stable roomy rig. She will take you any where you want to go. Ballest around 8k and she draws less than 5 feet.
Old 12-30-2001

rmiille is on a distinguished road

soorry I ment to say 8 tons.
Old 12-30-2001

tigger,
a tartan 37 did a circumnavigation see the t-37 website.they glassed the c/b over. the way the t-37 centerboard is made and installed it really can''t get "stuck".
it is more of a wing than ballast.
the board probably weighs less than 150 lbs.
eric
Old 12-30-2001

i have also done a number of long offshore passages in an Alden 52 centerboard. i really wouldn''t limit my search to just keelboats, you have a much greater probability of getting a bulb keel etc wrapped in fishing nets than a jammed centerboard.
eic
Old 12-30-2001

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, how about a Dickerson? Or mabye a condo in a nice old age home in Florida? Big Red says if you ain''t sailed by now you aint gonna, and if you ain''t test sailed the top five of your wish list yet if your really serious chartered for a while your nuts . Big Red56
Old 12-30-2001

RichH will become famous soon enough

http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/best.htm will lead to some other considerations of types, models and designers. Follow the links there for more technical evaluations, etc. Also consider ''carrying capacity'' that will enable good sailing with a heavily loaded waterline. Websearch/search by *designers* of proven offshore boats: Creighlock, Robert Perry, Robert Harris, etc. When you narrow your search further, consider joining one or two ''owners groups'' as a **prospective owner** for discussions from persons of ACTUAL experience with a particular design, participate in eMail discussion groups, visit rendezvous (to kick some tires, and maybe a friendly test-drive), to locate a boat that is ''just coming onto the market'', etc. etc. etc. Many of the owners groups have eMail discussion groups here on Sailnet - with many ''prospectives'' participating. My selection criteria were similar to yours .... + carrying capacity, decent windward ability and ''respectable'' speed. My final ''hit-list'' was: Tayana-37, Fast Passage-39, Corbin-39, HansChristian36/38, etc. I''m currently refitting a Tayana-37 cutter on the Chesapeake (eastern shore).
:-)
Old 12-31-2001

Thank you all for you responses. The list we came up with originated from the database mentioned by RichH. BTW, I will add the Southern Cross and the Dickerson to my list for further review. The others are over 37'' and we need to draw the line somewhere. (BTW, I''ll checkout the CB on the Tartan 37, and if looks to be bulletproof, I''ll add it to my list.)

Since we have about three years till retirement, we figured we''d have plenty of time to "test drive" and "kick the tires" so-to-speak. Right now is the dead of winter, so the best use of our time is spent reading and interacting with knowledgeable boat owners - like you.

Thanks again for all your input. If you think of anything more please feel free to mention it. We know we have much to learn and hope that we can get a head start with valuable input like yours.

~ Fairwinds and happy new year ~