Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
Question about Sparkman & Stephens 32

I came across an interesting looking S&S boat on yachtworld, it has a very diffeent looking cabin, the companionway seems to extend half way into the cockpit...
any idea what I'm talking about?

Is this a good boat? It's selling for $1,500. Needs work... lots.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2007

tedsbeds is on a distinguished road
It probably is a good design but your looking at a major rebuild,tens of thousands of dollars. I've bought a hurricane boat that looked alot better than this and it took two years and a good sum of money. I bought it from these people also,
Old 02-12-2007

TAK is on a distinguished road
$1500 sounds great, but first estimate what it will cost to (time, effort and money..) to bring it up to sailing condition or what you would want in a boat, then double that amount -because its always more than you expect.. and then ask your self would you pay that amount for the boat?
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 02-12-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
This is an old IOR race boat. In near perfect shape it is worth perhaps $10,000 to $15,000. After a quick look at the photos, assuming that you are really tallented and can do the work yourself, and that you have a free spot to store the boat while you restore her, you could spend a lot more than that in materials and manufactured parts alone simply putting the boat back together and after a year of hard work or more realistically dragged out over several years, you will still end up with a pretty mediocre boat.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 02-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I'd buy it and re sell the winches and what ever I could salvage on ebay. Still make over what you paid for
Old 02-12-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
G-
"Still make over what you paid for"
Not in the US. Here, you'd have to pay early to have the hull ground up and carted away as hazardous waste, after you hauled the keel away to the scrap metal dealers. It's a shame to see a boat in that shape but unless you have idle land to park it on and spend a long time working on it...Ouch. Quite an ambitious project but I suspect that one will become landfill.
Old 02-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
G-
"Still make over what you paid for"
Not in the US. Here, you'd have to pay early to have the hull ground up and carted away as hazardous waste, after you hauled the keel away to the scrap metal dealers. It's a shame to see a boat in that shape but unless you have idle land to park it on and spend a long time working on it...Ouch. Quite an ambitious project but I suspect that one will become landfill.
You poor people..everything there is PAY PAY PAY....

So how do you get rid of a boat you don't want...and no one buys it??? You have to do what, exactly?
Old 02-12-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
G-
If you own the property, you can leave it where it is and ignore it. But, if that property is a boatyard...then you are losing money because the space it occupies may be worth $5,000+ per year as storage for another paying customer.
So how do you get rid of it? Well...first you need to chop it up, crush it, bring in some big equipment or a dozen men with Sawzalls. Costs money. Or you can push it off into the water, oops, MARPOL violation, costs money. Or you can try to bury it, if you can find a landfill to take it, and with all the concerns about toxins and the like...You can't give it to a landfill unless you remove the lead keel, the bottom paint, and any other toxins first.

So, you have to try finding some sucker to buy it, who thinks they can fix it up for less than the cost of buying a boat that's in sailing condition.

I'm not saying there are no real bargains, but usually when there's that much damage you can see, there's more you can't. And unless someone is already skilled at fiberglass repair and hull painting, doesn't mind scrounging for rigging and sails that might or might not fit, trusts the home-painted engine...Some folks can get a bargain, more can get burned.

Usually we put an ad on eBay and sell it to some Portugee looking for a bargain priced boat in America.
Old 02-12-2007

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
Guys, thanks for the messages, but I wasn't looking to buy this particular boat - I just wanted to learn more about its design, as I had not seen it before, and it looked pretty unique...
Old 02-13-2007
Plausible Deniability

S&S were, and are, designers not boatbuilders, so anything you see listed as an "S&S" is not necessarily a production boat. It may have been built one-off to suit someone's particular ideas or to test a solution to some set of racing rules. You might be able to contact them to find out why that particular boat was built, and whether they considered it a success for that purpose.

www.sparkmanstephens.com