Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
I need opinions for pricing a boat.

Greetings everyone,

I have been looking at a very neglected Macgregor 25 and I'm trying to determine what it might be worth. Here are some details.
1974 vintage-Pop Top companionway-Doesn't appear to have been in the water since 1986 (last registration sticker on hull)-extremely oxidized and really ugly baby blue hull (decks are oxidized white with faded baby blue highlights)-mast is lashed to bow pulpit and a makeshift rear mount, no dents but lots of scatches and wear- cockpit railing is missing-the boom and maybe the rudder are in the cabin but its hard to tell since the only window I can see inside from is very sun damaged-I don't think any of the sails are in there nor are the seat cushions-the trailer tires are flat of course and its been on the trailer so long that it appears some of the internal longerons (stringers) may have delaminated from the hull. (two large depressions-one at the front of the port bunk and one at back of the starboard bunk)- all the lines, including the life lines need to be replaced as well as most of the pulleys-several low quality modifications have been made to the boat in areas like the clutches, cleats and traveler. The dozens of wasp nests I can see hanging inside the cabin are probably going to come free with the boat.

The hull and decks all seem to be in sound condition other than the two spots on the hull that I mentioned. (I have experience with that sort of repair-no problem)

I could go on and on but you get the picture. I love a good fixer upper but other than major refits and refurbs on power boats and few other sailboats, I don't know much about the Macgregor other than the people that own them seem to like them. (although they say they are built a bit on the light side)

I currently own a South Coast 22 that was pretty much a basket case when I inherited it from a friend but I want something with a larger cabin. (I'm still not done with it) I crew, race and party on much larger sailboats (30+ footers of all makes) but I also want something trailerable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Denr- You want to get this one??
Old 02-13-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
There are four listed on Yachtworld from the 1980s---a 1980 for $7K, a 1983 for $8K, a 1984 for $8.9K, and a 1986 for $5.9K. I did not read the descriptions of any of these boats, and this is what the seller is asking, not necessarily what each is worth. The one you describe is a lot older and in bad condition, so it probably is worth considerably less. T34C is referring to a venerable member who will always offer his opinion on MacGregors. You may as well know now that they are not held in high regard here.

Last edited by SailinJay; 02-13-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Not to speak for my main man Denr, but the Mac 25 in question here is at least meant as a sailboat, as compared to the current vintage of Mac 26's that are powerboats with a mast. My suggestion for a price is -- talk to the owner and get a feel for what they think it's worth. You don't say where it is stored, but they may just want it out of wherever it is and take almost anything. Otherwise, go low (meaning way low) and see what they say. Start at $1K since it does have a trailor? You're looking at some expense to get it on the water (sails, running rigging, trailor repairs, new blocks, stringer repairs.) You might want to add up what you are willing to pay for all that and see if it's worth it to you at all.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 02-13-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Just my $ .02 worth. Keep the South Coast. I had one a few years ago, fun little boat, finish it. Offer $100 for the Mac and either part it out on ebay for what ever you can get, or do a low end refit and re-sell it, to finance another project more worthy of your time.
Old 02-13-2007
Shaken-not Stirred

Thanks for the feedback so far!

T34C, SailinJay and SailorMitch,

Thats pretty much the way this thing looks like it is going. LOW-WAY LOW I heard from the keeper of the boats at the boatyard where my South Coast and the "project" boat are and the owners of the Macgregor are ready to sell and are supposed to be contacting me soon. (I hope)

I was thinking that the $500.00 range may be a generous offer considering the condition, although some people will sail off into in the sunset in just about anything that floats and think its worth top dollar. (the majority of those folks are the same ones that we tow back to the marinas if their ride hasn't completely surrendered to the seas) This thing could easily become a money pit (like most boats) but I have a sneaking suspicion that the owners may be holding on to it for sentimental reasons and not understand its dilapidated condition. (possibly a dearly departed Grandma and Grandpa may have owned it)

I'll talk to them and see where this goes and keep y'all posted. I've researched alot on the net as far as what many of the Macgregors have sold for (including the Macgregor Owners.com site. A 1972 sold a few years back for $12K but the majority of them through the mid 80's have averaged around $4.5K. There was an 1984 that sold for $600.00 but that must have been a real fixer upper. The problem is as you mentioned, the condition of the boat at the time of sale is not stated.
Old 02-13-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
I think you are correct about $500 being a generous offer, a boat similar in condition with a running outboard with mast up in the water was recently given to a dock mate for free. The dockspace it was sitting in was $320 a month.
Old 02-14-2007
Shaken-not Stirred

Smile Thanks!

Thanks Capttb!
Old 02-14-2007

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
You can sign up for a free consumer account at the BUC used boat price guide website (http://www.bucvalu.com) and look up the book value of boats.

A 1974 MacGregor 25 comes out at Retail Price Range: $2,050-$2,450 not including outboard engine. That's in what they call "BUC Condition: Ready for sale requiring no additional work and normally equipped for its size".

Subtract how much time and money you'll need to make it worth $2K, and that should give you an idea of a fair offer.

Good luck!

Tim
Old 02-14-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
nothing

Hello,

To me, I would not take that boat if it were offered to me for free. It's going to take a lot of time and a lot of money before it could be sailed, and I would rather sail on a boat than work on a boat. You can buy very nice Catalina 22's in sail away condition for $3-4K. You can get decent 25' Catalinas, Hunter, O'day, Newport, etc. that could be sailed tomorrow for less than $5K.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.