Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007

bmulvihi is on a distinguished road
Bavaria Sailboats

I am looking to buy a newer used sailboat in the range of 38 feet. I have read this post and many boats are discussed especially Catalina, Hunter and Beneteau. I wonder if someone out there with some knowledge could give me some insight on the Bavaria boats and perhaps rate them against these other mass produced boats in terms of the trade-offs they present in terms of comfort versus sailablility. Thanks. Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
They are generally not well thought of. Do a search and you'll find some threads. Welcome aboard!
Old 05-02-2007

sailingby is on a distinguished road
I have had my Bavaria 40 for 5 years now. It is well built and shows little sign of wear & tear. It sails very well and is as quick, if not quicker on some points of sail, as comparable boats. It is well balanced and inspires confidence in big seas and is easily managed by a crew of two. The interior is better fitting than the French boats. I believe it offers a fine balance of price and quality and ability.
Old 05-02-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
As Cam says, most people trash them. But I have a good friend with a fairly new Bavaria 36 and he loves it. Bavaria is a mass producer with one of the slickest factories anywhere -- very automated and efficient. YMMV.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 05-02-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
We chartered Bavaria 33 and 36 in Norway, in some very demanding waters (this was also the worst weather I ever sailed in). They behave very well under tough conditions. We had Beneteau of the same size chartered for another part of the group and, when compared side by side, Bavaria certainly made better impression overall.

That said, it is a production boat with all that stems from that.
Old 05-02-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Bavaria got a lot of bad press, mostly in Europe, based on design defects in a couple of their new Match series racers - there are threads here or sailinganarchy(dot)com on this - reading the details left me agast that a major builder could do such an obviously bad job...and they tried to cover their tracks with marketing mumbo-jumbo and finger pointing, as if running aground once would excuse a keel falling off...

That being said, not necessarily a reason not to consider some of their well-established production boats, unless the way they handling screwing a bunch of other customers (not to mention killing one) makes you uncomfortable about having anything to do with the build.

Last edited by sailingfool; 05-03-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailingby

The Bavaria boats have had some keel problems which resulted in a few deaths a while back... The keel actually fell of the boat because the keel attachment was not strong enough. Not all of the boats that were on the used market have had the necessary keel reinforcement, so if you should double check that your boat has had the necessary changes made.

However, your boat may be old enough to be from the series before the newer designs that had the keel problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-03-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
SD, what's wrong with having a quick-detach keel for handy trailer stowage on a boat?

OTOH, this could be like the clobbering Audi took in the US some years ago. Maybe the fuss over keels will drive Bavaria prices down enough to make it worth buying one and doing the keel work.
Old 05-03-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
We went aboard a couple of new Bavaria's at the Annapolis boat show. I wasn't in the market for a new boat so didn't get into the nuts and bolts of how they are built, but they clearly chose to save some money in the interior. The area around the nav station on both of the Bavaria's we went on could only be described as "cheesy". Lots and lots of cheap fake wood looking plastic like a low end car.

They just didn't compare very favorably on that score with any of the other production boats. They may be similar in quality otherwise, but I know I'd have a hard time convincing the admiral of that, f I were looking for a new boat.
Old 05-03-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
I chartered several Bavarias (34 to 40 feet -they are very popular here in Adriatic sea because the are cheap).
To my standards all hardware is undersized on Bavarias. They are however quite OK for protected waters, but I know of one guy who wanted to sail it across Atlantic and had a severe hull-deck separation (without a major storm) - I think she was a 32 feet boat - not really designed for oceans.
I also read all about keels problems on their "match" series and the arrogant response of Bavaria and the dealer almost made me sick ("If you race a BMW and drive it into a wall you also get some damage..").
I think they no longer sell match series at all. Most had keel attachments reinforced after the incident.
You must understand the design point of those boats:
Majority is sailing in Adriatic sea in summer months. Typical wind force is 3 and dies at sunset. The waves are small (mostly less than a feet), lots of small islands - all very close (like this
http://www.kornati.hr/images/galerija/Zakan_JI.jpg ). There is also good weather forecast.
Most boats are out on a day sail and safely moored to the dock in some protected harbour or marina during the night. Usually with shore power (default battery of Bavaria is very small).
So, the boats are suitable for that purpose.
The woodwork inside is - well low cost. You get what you pay for. Their "Vision" series may be better - I do not know them, but the "cruiser" series (most popular here) is vary basic.
But you get a 38 footer for a price of a 30 footer. So - if you need her for protected water - why not.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.