Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007

saltdreamer is on a distinguished road
Aloha 34

As soon as spring comes I intend to have a survey made on an aloha 34 I plan to buy, I will be sailing on lake Ontario, and St-lawrence river. I plan to buy this boat because as soon as get the opportunity I wish to cross the pond and and cruise the mediteraneen. It might be in 6 or 7 years, who knows? And I beleive that the aloha 34 is well suited for that purpose, and in a mean time its not a slug, so its also a good choice for Lake Ontario. My mind is pretty much made for the aloha, but I am just curious to know what Jeff H thinks about it , and of course all other inputs are welcome! and if you have any suggestions for other boats in the same price range/category, just in case the deal does not conclude.

Thanks

Daniel G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
A similar boat, in fact they look the same, is the Hinterheoller 35. I think you will find it is much more suitable for a trip across the pond, I believe the design and build quality is much better.
I do not know this for sure but have heard from different sources that the quality of construction on the Alohas varied a fair bit.

Good Luck
Gary
Old 10-21-2011

Don1500 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltdreamer View Post
As soon as spring comes I intend to have a survey made on an aloha 34 I plan to buy, I will be sailing on lake Ontario, and St-lawrence river. I plan to buy this boat because as soon as get the opportunity I wish to cross the pond and and cruise the mediteraneen. It might be in 6 or 7 years, who knows? And I beleive that the aloha 34 is well suited for that purpose, and in a mean time its not a slug, so its also a good choice for Lake Ontario. My mind is pretty much made for the aloha, but I am just curious to know what Jeff H thinks about it , and of course all other inputs are welcome! and if you have any suggestions for other boats in the same price range/category, just in case the deal does not conclude.

Thanks

Daniel G
Just put a deposit on this Aloha 34 in Annapolis:

I jumped when the price was dropped to what I was going to offer and they were a feature boat at the Annapolis Boat Show. I was within 60 days of departing for the search and was going to bring whatever boat I found to Hampton, Va anyway. This saved me a search, a complete refit, and a trip around Florida. (I say that about the trip because I know I would have bought something in Texas.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
"It is the bliss of ignorance that tempts the fool, but it is he who sees the wonders of the earth." -May God protect this fool.-

Last edited by Don1500; 10-21-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
She's a Ted Brewer design, roomy and comfortable and well behaved as his work usually is.

Aloha 34 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

ALOHA 34 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

More fin keel than Brewer's usual longish keel/Brewer bite style of hull but that likely explains it's non-slug status.

Not aware of any serious quality issues with Aloha, expect they would be on par with other local builders of that era.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-21-2011

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Worked on a few of these in Port Credit in the 80's installing refrigeration, instruments, pilots, seasonal in/out. Can't comment on performance or design, but compared to Niagara 35's of similar vintage boat lacked finesse in build/assembly quality. QC at Hinterhoeller was at a higher level. On the other hand, the Niagara 35 has reputation for deck delaminiation/soft spots, again, a QC problem. None of them are perfect, but most of them are fun!
Old 10-21-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
I drew the deck lines for that boat when I was moonlighting for Ted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 03-28-2012
Low Salt Diet Sufferer

kulokoo is on a distinguished road
Re: Aloha 34

Does the Aloha 34 have a deck stepped or keel stepped mast? I haven't seen a mast in interior photos, but perhaps it is hidden behind some wood work?

(Just a practical matter knowing there are low bridges in my future.)
Old 03-29-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Aloha 34

I don't think that it matters very much if it is keel or deck-stepped - the mast is much too big to make it convenient for dropping to go under bridges. If this is an absolute must you need to look at boats with purpose-built tabernacles. I think there are some Dutch boats like that.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.