Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2002

wannasail is on a distinguished road
Hunters

Interested in feedback on the 35'' to 40'' Hunters. I like the looks of the boat but keep getting negative feedback about their open water cruising. Not looking for anything fast just sturdy and comfortable. Want to just relax in the Caribbean during winter time in the east and sail along the coast during the summer months.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
Hunters

I have a friend who has on O''Day 37 and they
say the same thing about his boat! Not every
one has a Hinkley or can afford one. The basic boats designed and built in this country will with proper handling and prudent
seamanship will go wherever you want to take
them.Do not listen to the you''ll fall of the
end of the earth boys! Get some sound sailing
experience and go do it!! This is from an old man who has a DR.Fluid Dynamics from Cal-
Tech. Who tank tested all the Late Gary Mull designed 6m for St Francis Y.C and Tested
Intrepid and Courageous for the Icon from
S/S. It is interesting to tune in once in awhile and here the EXPERTS discuss the pro''s
and con''s of various boats and designs.Just do not take yourself too serious!!!
Old 01-04-2002

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Hunters

Hunter''s non traditional design have caused many of us to view the boat in a negative light. I personally think they are ugly and would not want one. They are, however, a boat that is gaining respect among the experienced for their quality and value. They are not a Tartan, yet they have proven to be reasonably well built. You are not talking about long off shore passages. A hunter should work.
Old 01-05-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road
Hunters

To a certain extentI agree with the above posts. Hunters are designed for a specific price target and coastal cruising. Some models/years did not sport the highest quality gear and rumblings have it that the design does turn off those with a more classic bent. Construction details aside, the designers have squeezed a good bit of creature comfort into the cabins.

Naturally, not all models are equal and you''d best do some homework if looking to purchase a used Hunter. The classic 37 is a
nice boat.

If you plan coastal cruising, Hunters are OK boats. If you REALLY plan to spend a good deal of time offshore, then reconsider. And be prepared for the Hunter-bashers. Always buy the best you can afford for the purpose. I''ve noted a number of owners of "blue water" boats that never seem to take them into blue water. But then people living in New York City think they need SUVs too.
Old 01-05-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road
Hunters

Would like to agree with Halyardz that Hunter''s 37''cutter (I hope that''s the one he means) is one of their best. Not too much draft for the Islands, pretty spacious, (a good-sized head) nicely laid out and with in-turning hull-deck joint that is stronger than an out-turning flange. The boat looks good and performs reasonalbly well for a cruiser.
Old 01-07-2002
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Hunters

Heres my 2 cents,

I have very limited sailing experience and have spent the last 2 years looking at sailboats. I looked at many models in the 28-32 ft range in backyards and fancy brokerages. I finally settled on a C&C30 MK1. It was affordable, well built, surveyed very well and the broker was great to work with.

My advice to you is LOOK, LOOK, LOOK! Then look some more. You will learn more this way than from 100 message board responses. Look at every boat for sale in (or just out of) your price range and in your area.

I started out wanting a Hunter or an O''Day with a cabin big enough for a pool table By the end of the second year I was looking at Tartan''s and C&C''s. I ended up spending less than I planned, for less cabin space in a better built and faster (I hope) boat.

Find your surveyor before you find your boat. If you don''t like his style walk away. I talked to my surveyor 3 times before I found a boat to survey, he was very helpful and I was careful not to waste too much of his time.

Narrow the choices down and call him with details and ask what he thinks. If he tells you to walk away, do it and start over.

If the broker/seller doesn''t seem like they will work with you on issues walk away.

Your first sailboat probably won''t be your last, so don''t kid yourself into thinking you have to have everthing the first time out.
Old 01-09-2002

wannasail is on a distinguished road
Hunters

Need comments on 1989 37'' Hunter Marine. In the specs. it cites plastic water & fuel tanks? Is this an issue?
Also comments on the 37'' Hunter Legend Sloop. This is a 1987.
Blue water cruising. No hurry to get anywhere. Looking for good handling & comfort.
I like the Hunters/Beneteaus/Catalinas.
Old 01-09-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Hunters

The Hunter 375 and the Legend 37 were good sailing boats and quite reasonable coastal cruisers. There was a 375 that sailed from Annapolis down and through the Carribean a few years back. That said, with the exception of the early 1890''s era Hunter 37 cutter, none 37 footers or so built by Hunter/Beneteau/or Catalina are really engineered to be ''blue water'' cruisers, at least in my book. Hunter/Beneteau/or Catalina''s in the age and size range that you are considering are actually pretty quick boats but they are not what I would call easy handling or particularly comfortable. Of the big three mfr''s., the Beneteau First 38s5 and the Hunter Legend (both fractional rigs) would come closest to your goals in that order. The Beneteau will be far better constructed and finished of the two. It is also the better sailing boat in a wide range of conditions. For better or worse, the Beneteaus are a little more expensive as well.

Jeff