Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2002

tsv is on a distinguished road
new boat

well hello everyone. I currently own a small day sailor, and i would like to sell and buy a larger boat (maye in the 20-25 ft. range). I dont race my own boat often, but just enjoy crusing around the bay. I have been thinking about maybe a small boat that has enough room for a head and a bunk or two. Maybe an O''day or paceship or something, but my budget is not large (around the $10,000 range less would be best). I dont mind something that needs a little work, i enjoy that kind of thing. So basically the question is can anyone think of something that fits this description. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2002

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
new boat

Assuming you are not going off shore, you have a plethora of boats to choose from. O''Day and Paceships are suitable coastal cruisers. I would seriously look into a Catalina 27. You can find many in your price range and they are large enough for two or three to be comfortable for a week or more. A survey is worth the money no matter what you choose.
Old 01-04-2002
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor
new boat

My favorites in that price range would be the 25ft Cape Dory, the 23ft ComPac, and the 23ft Beneteau...these three would run the gambit of styles and sailing performance. If you want to be even more budget conscious.,spend less....19ft ComPac still has the room you specified ...
Old 01-05-2002

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
new boat

What bay do you sail in?

Get a boat you can stand up in.

Now you say that "you don''t race" but once you find out that you like performance you may want more. Why not buy a boat that will perform now?

Forget the Compac stuff. They never caught on.

The Catalina 27 is good place to start.
Old 01-05-2002

tsv is on a distinguished road
new boat

hum thanks for the feedback. Well I do race but not in my boat, I crew for others. I usually take my boat out to relax. You asked where i sail, well in Nova Scotia. And i dont really go offshore in the boat I currently own because I dont think it can handel it!!!! But i will look into a Catalina 27 sounds interesting.
Old 01-06-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
new boat

Actually, for Nova Scotia, the Compac would be a better boat. I race on a Catalina 27. These are really pretty fragile boats. We''re constcantly blowing up something and we''re not even racing in high winds.

I am not sure where Mike is coming from when he says,''They (ComPac''s) never caught on''. While Catalina certainly sold a lot of Catalina 27''s, the Cat 27 is out of production while the ComPac line is still in production and seem to be going strong.

While the Catalina 27 is 6 seconds a mile faster than the ComPac 27, the ComPac 27 offers better construction and nicer fit and finish. It should also be a more seakindly boat.

Regards
Jeff
Old 01-09-2002

DirtManly is on a distinguished road
new boat

Hello,
You may want to look at a Seafarer 26. The later models were made from 1976 thru 1986 and are excellent boats for what your looking for. They are stable, have a reasonable phrf rating, have a lot of room for a 26, and they look great. You should be able to pick up a very nice one for about half to three quarters of your budget.
Good Luck
Joe