Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007

Keyne is on a distinguished road
StoneHorse vs Typhoon

I am looking for my first boat (been sailing Cape Cod Mercuries on the Charles River in Boston for 3 season) and thought a Typhoon or Stonehorse would be a nice first boat. I like traditionally styled boats and want something easy to single hand, good in potentially bad weather, but still a good sailor. I have checked out the info on both with their respective message boards but at this point I love the Stonehorse but cant seem to rationlize the cost difference (Stonehorse = 15K at least vs 5-6K for a Typhoon). Any thoughts would be helpful.

Regard,

K
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
I don't know much about the stonehorse, and I love the look of the Typhoon, but you can probably do better than either. Full keel designs have a lot of pluses, but on a boat as small as the Typhoon, I think the biggest advantages (stability and seakindliness) are minimized. Granted, the Typhoon is going to be more stable in a seaway than many other 19 foot boats, but not that much better. And are you really going to be out there in bad weather often enough to offset the disadvantages of a full keel design? Not a very nimble or quick boat in any air, and it needs some decent wind to get going. If you sail in an area where light winds are common, you may want to check out designs with more modern underbodies. Like all full keel boats, it can be a challenge to motor in reverse. At least with the Typhoon, you will probably have an outboard on a bracket to aid in the steering. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Typhoon. It's a beautiful boat, and if you sail in an area where the winds are consistently good, it can be a great choice.

I thought the Stonehorse was a significantly bigger boat (23 feet)? I seem to remember the cabin top extends all the way to the topsides. The Stonehorse and the Typhoon are designed with different goals: the Typhoon is strictly a day sailer, with only a (very) minimal cabin. The Stonehorse is designed to maximize cabin space in its small hull to make cruising more appealing. Which do you think will be more appropriate for your actual use? The best advice I ever got while I was choosing my boat was to be brutally honest with myself when assessing my likely uses of the boat. If you will be daysailing, then why pay three times as much for a bigger boat with features and space you will never use?
Old 02-19-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I haven't owned or sailed either of the boats, but I think you'll find the Stone Horse holds its value better than the Typhoon. In the late seventies I spent many hours reading about the Stone Horse and why the builders felt it was an ideal coastal cruiser. They made good points - particularly the one about needing to make sure that there was a really comfortable place for a full-sized adult to sit. I that the quality of the Stone Horse may be better than the Typhoon.
Old 02-19-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Both exquisite little boats when in Bristol condition. The Stonehorse is the more seaworthy and roomy (and head privacy/holding tank) but either will do fine in MassBay. Personally I like the lines of the CD better but either boat will bring the dockside gawkers out for a look!
Old 02-19-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Rule 1: Don't buy a boat that requires you to make payments.

Both candidates are fine boats as far as I know.
Old 02-21-2007

garyp is on a distinguished road
I saw a Stone Horse in Haines, Alaska 10 or 12 years ago, which had made it all the way there on her own bottom.
What a beautiful little ship. For me it was love at first sight.

Gary