Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007

RAGNAR will become famous soon enough
Nice, petmac!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2007

evenkeel is on a distinguished road
Stumbled on this thread and thought I'd add a few comments.

My wife and I own a 1969 Hinckley 38, hull #3. We lived aboard and cruised on her for nearly 6 years and have owned her for over 10 years. We've been on several Pilot 35's.

Both models are great sailers for boats of that vintage. The 38 was designed as a "rule beater" under the old CCA rules. A unique feature is a trim tab set on the aft end of the keel. Look at the underbodies of a few of the old 12 meters of that era, same trim tab. The 38 is fairly tender, typical of boats of the era. She's designed to lay over and go up wind. With a waterline of only 27 feet, she needs to lay over. She will generally outsail a pilot, also a B-40 particularly upwind. On a around the bouys course with a good upwind leg she'll often outsail the SW 42's.

Shortcomings of the 38 are the cored hulls and the engine placement, in the bilge. We've had to re-power and the engine placement does limit your options. The cored hull has never been an issue for us but other 38 owners have had problems. Size is often mentioned as a shortcoming with all Hinckleys. They are "small". We used to joke we owned the smallest 38 footer ever built until we were on a Pearson Invicta Yawl, a Tripp design. Now that's a small boat.

Couple of small corrrections.

The 38 was never refered as a comp 38. Hinckley did build a comp 41 in that era. Great sailing boat.
The 38 was built by Hinckley. Henry supposedly had some reservations with the design and made some adjustments to S&S's original work.
Old 03-15-2007

Galveston is on a distinguished road
Hinckley 38

Interesting to run onto this discussion. I own hull #10 (1969). Wonderful boat - a real head turner. I love sailing her, especially after having spent several thousand miles sailing new, uh, Euro cruisers. She is, indeed, a bit tender until she heels a bit. Crank in the trim tab and she points just fine. Pretty dry, as well. One finger driving while slipping away from a surprising number of new boats.
She is a bit small below by comparison, but I am either alone or only with my spouse. We fit fine. She is pretty below, though. Original fireplace and all.
Engine in the bilge is a great deal of fun! The original Westerbeke starts right up and purrs almost like the day it was built. At some point I am going to hope it stops being so nice and I will go to an electric drive.
Never a problem with the balsa cored hull which is above the waterline only. It is nicer than solid glass in the heat of the Gulf Coast. Quieter, too.
The teak keeps you busy, but I do like to varnish. Good thing.
Older Hinckleys are great fun. They are often well-maintained and have lots of great stories.
Old 06-19-2009
bop38

bop38 is on a distinguished road
I have Hinckley 38 #12

This boat has been in the family since new. Somewher I have pictures of her being built in the Hinckley yard. She still has original engine and original white gel coat. The exhaust system is expensive to replace, but besides that and a feathering prop she is completely original.
Since the transmission is a direct drive and there is a lot of windage, you need a big prop with a very low pitch. I use a 15" Mark II Maxi-Prop set to 8°. This is below the listed settings, but Maxi-Prop provided the special setting
We have had the boat in 35 foot seas and 55 knots of wind around Cape Ann Ma. without a problem except the wind took the dink when it snap the dual painter. On report of the loss of the dink to the Coast Guard, they reported the sea and wind conditions to us.
Fortunately, we have a lady in our yard who loves to work on her teak.
When they were new, they were class raced by the NY Yacht Club by the likes of Dennis Connors and others. In the early 70's we picked up our share of silver.
In general they are less dollars on the used market because many of them, in the 80's, were used by colleges as training racers and therefore not well kept. MIT had one.
They have circumnavigated. I met a fellow in Provincetown who told me his daughter was born on one off of Brazil.
A couple of years ago there was an article in Ocean Navigator on the trials and tribulations of repowering a 38. One of the adds for a sea-anchor shows a 38 in a heavy blow.
I believe there were only 32 of these made by Hinckley.
As for quality, the high price bought accessories such as a MONEL water heater which never should be replaced, 140 gallons of water tankage which still keeps the water fresh without additives, a monel fuel tank. Rudder and trim bearing which are still in excellent condition. Rigging mounts that are uncorroded. A hull water absorbance survey that was well within insurance requirements and on and on.
She is a pretty and special boat.
Old 06-30-2009

sharedwatch is on a distinguished road
You can't go on about such a great boat and not post any pics! I used to sail on #10 a bit. I really like these boats and think they are generally on the used market for bargain prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop38 View Post
This boat has been in the family since new. Somewher I have pictures of her being built in the Hinckley yard. She still has original engine and original white gel coat. The exhaust system is expensive to replace, but besides that and a feathering prop she is completely original.
Since the transmission is a direct drive and there is a lot of windage, you need a big prop with a very low pitch. I use a 15" Mark II Maxi-Prop set to 8°. This is below the listed settings, but Maxi-Prop provided the special setting
We have had the boat in 35 foot seas and 55 knots of wind around Cape Ann Ma. without a problem except the wind took the dink when it snap the dual painter. On report of the loss of the dink to the Coast Guard, they reported the sea and wind conditions to us.
Fortunately, we have a lady in our yard who loves to work on her teak.
When they were new, they were class raced by the NY Yacht Club by the likes of Dennis Connors and others. In the early 70's we picked up our share of silver.
In general they are less dollars on the used market because many of them, in the 80's, were used by colleges as training racers and therefore not well kept. MIT had one.
They have circumnavigated. I met a fellow in Provincetown who told me his daughter was born on one off of Brazil.
A couple of years ago there was an article in Ocean Navigator on the trials and tribulations of repowering a 38. One of the adds for a sea-anchor shows a 38 in a heavy blow.
I believe there were only 32 of these made by Hinckley.
As for quality, the high price bought accessories such as a MONEL water heater which never should be replaced, 140 gallons of water tankage which still keeps the water fresh without additives, a monel fuel tank. Rudder and trim bearing which are still in excellent condition. Rigging mounts that are uncorroded. A hull water absorbance survey that was well within insurance requirements and on and on.
She is a pretty and special boat.
Old 07-06-2009
bop38

bop38 is on a distinguished road
some pics

I do not have them on a WEB site thus no URL. I used the Manage Attachments to supply a couple of pics but the upload failed even though they were smaller than max size.
Sorry
Old 07-06-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
We will wait patiently... ...i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2009

MrkSchmt is on a distinguished road
My father owned #28, the last one built, for several years. I wonder where she is now? I'm partial to the classic lines of the B40 and the Pilot but you get way more bang for your buck with a 38. The best sailing Hinckley boat of that era, however, is the Competition 41.

Mark
Old 07-09-2009

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
Draft constraints kept me away from the 41. The split rig makes single handing a pleasure on our B40. Tradeoff's make boating interesting. BOP38, where's your homeport? Like to see your 38. We're out of Ocean City NJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Hinckley 35 or 38 -- any thoughts?-img_0633.jpg   Hinckley 35 or 38 -- any thoughts?-get-attachment-4.jpg  
Old 07-10-2009

MrkSchmt is on a distinguished road
Bermudahigh, I had a happy week some years ago downeast on a B40 III sloop and was impressed with its power. The shot of the leeward rail is an exact memory from that week. Someday . . . Which generation is yours?

Mark S