Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007

RichardM is on a distinguished road
Niagara 31-Good for Ch. Bay?

This boat is on my short list for a Chesapeake Bay cruiser and overnighter. Concerns are the five foot draft, the balsa core, and whether it would be a good boat for a sailor with intermediate skills to single hand. Jeff H and others, do you have any experience with this boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2007

MAH1 is on a distinguished road
Try Niagara List

The sailnet email list NIAGARA has as a member Richard Hinterhoeller son of George Hinterhoeller of Hinterhoeller Yachts. Richard has owned a Niagara 31 for many years and can answer many questions about that Frers designed boat.

Regards

Mike Hoyt
Full Tilt 2
NIagara 26 #002
Old 03-07-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I do know of one person on Lake Arthur, LA who has a Niagra 31 and he loves it. It's a some what shallow water lake there as well.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2007

sjpurman is on a distinguished road
Richard,

I just bought a 82 31' Niagra and have previosly sailed the bay in a 23' ODay. I don't forsee any problems with this boat and look forward to this coming summer. The previous owner sailed this boat for 12 years all over the Bay.

Steve
Bay Dreamer #079
Old 03-07-2007

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
Richard:

Here is a review of the Niagara 31 from Canadian Yachting (one of their used boat series). My wife used to work with the Sanfords mentioned in this review and I do remember their being very pleased with the boat and how it performed during their trip south to the Bahamas. They had been keeping their boat on Georgian Bay although we've lost contact with them over the years. Mike Hoyt's suggestion is a good one.

http://www.cymagazine.ca/onlineExclu...siveKeyword=56
Old 03-07-2007

Ronbye is on a distinguished road
A good friend of mine has one, and it is without a doubt an excellent sailboat. Easy to handle, good in a blow and very fast. I highly recommend them. My friend has the dinette layout, and it is in superb condition. I really like the keel step mast coming in by the head area, as it provides a good brace in rough weather when you need to go to the head in such a situation. Excellent offshore capability. Make sure you get a survey though.
Old 03-07-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Five foot draft will not be an issue on the Chesapeake -- just stay away from those places with less than 5 feet of water (of course). And as long as the survey goes well, don't worry about the balsa.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 03-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think it would be a pretty good boat... As long as the boat surveys well.. go for it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2007

RichardM is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all who responded.

Thank you for the replies to my questions on the Niagara 31. I plan to look at one in April. It does seem like a very fine boat if the balsa core is not an issue.

Regards,

Richard