SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Beneteau vs. Jeanneau (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/29552-beneteau-vs-jeanneau.html)

blemon 02-23-2007 08:02 PM

Beneteau vs. Jeanneau

Which is the better boat in the 38-42 range?

Zanshin 02-24-2007 07:53 AM

That's impossible question to answer, there are too many models and both companies are actually one and the same. What aspect are you most interested in? Price? Speed? Interior color? Ease of engine maintenance?

Moonfish 02-24-2007 11:35 AM

Ford or Chevy? Miller or Bud? Britney or Paris?

OK, sorry, you do ask a legitimate question. Yes, they are owned by the same parent company, but they are still manufactured by different people in different factories. There have to be differences, even "left over" from the days of fierce competition. Personally, I have no experience sailing a Jenneau, but have sailed chartered Beneteaus and found them to be fine boats - both for sailing and creature comforts. Niether one compares to a Pacific Seacraft or Valiant, but then you are looking at buying a GM, not a BMW. Nothing wrong with the GM model, either. That's all I would be able to afford.

Are you near any dealers for both companies? My suggestion would be to pick a model from each builder and do as much of an "apples to apples" comparison as possible. Once you do that, you'll be able to tell us which is the better boat (or more likely, which is the better value). Either way you go, I'll bet you'll be quite happy. Good luck!

Faster 02-24-2007 12:37 PM

Also Jeanneau hasn't always been part of the Beneteau companies, so your question may depend to some degree on the age of the models you wish to compare.

Zanshin 02-24-2007 01:14 PM

I looked at about 40 boats a couple of months ago while searching for mine; most of these were 38-50 foot Jeanneau or Beneteau ex-charter. Without being able to put my finger on any major differences, all I can say is that I ended up getting a Jeanneau and 8 of 10 "finalists" were Jeanneau.

chrondi 02-24-2007 01:48 PM

Which is the better boat?
I will give a silly answer to that silly question: neither of the two. Jeanneau seems to me more sailing oriented, while Beneteau minds more about confort, the latter meaning that the boat ends up somehow more expensive.
I know very well that you are not satisfied, but how else could somebody react?

k1vsk 02-24-2007 02:32 PM

I thought they were the same thing with a little different body style e.g., mazda and ford.

Chuteman 02-24-2007 05:27 PM

They don't feel the same

After sailing both brands of various sizes, I prefer the Jeanneau because it feels much better undersail.
The Beneteau is more tender, heels more and does not track as well. The only exception was a B505 which seemed much better.
But your experience will probably vary.......so personal.......try both or even more for that matter.:cool:

sailingdog 02-24-2007 05:39 PM

It really depends on what you define the word "boat" as. What are the important characteristics of the word boat to you? Is it sailing ability? Is it comfort at the dock? Is it the ability to handle heavy weather and still go to windward? Is it the ability to sail shorthanded with ease?

Open-ended, generic questions, really don't have good answers... garbage in>>>Garbage out...as they say in the CompSci classes.