Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2002

WT is on a distinguished road
Boats outside of USA

Doubleplay:

Do you use a dealer in Europe or do you deal directly with the factory? How about language difficulties?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Boats outside of USA

When you buy a taxable item (used or new) outside your state of residence, and your state of residence has a sales tax, you probably must pay a "use tax," which is generally the same amount as a "sales tax." You buy a boat in Europe somewhere, take it to Maine, you must pay a 5.5% "use tax." If you''d bought the boat in Maine, it''d be called a "sales tax." You pay where the boat will ultimately be located or registration paid. Most states require that if you plan to have the vessel located there for more than 6 mos. out of the year, it must be registered there, hence, you pay the use tax there. Proof of payment of sales/use tax elsewhere should get you a proration of tax due in the State where you register the boat. No tax paid, no proration, and the full amount is due. 3% sales tax paid elsewhere and 5.5% "use tax" due in the State you move it to, you should get a 2.5% proration. The use/sales tax is a one time deal for an owner, meaning that you don''t have to pay it over and over if you move the boat around and re-register elsewhere (generally), so hold on to your tax receipts. Believe me. It took me five years to finally pay my $1,740 use tax to Maine after being billed over $5K in tax on my 1972 boat, penalties and interest. I refused the $5K (my broker never mentioned this little problem) and finally told them I was moving to the Caribbean. They took the $1,740. You think everyone that buys crap at yard sales like outboards and snowmobiles pays the sales tax? A vicious little tax authority. Hoist the skull and crossbones.
Old 03-23-2002

doubleplay is on a distinguished road
Boats outside of USA

Wt
Everybody speaks English in Europe specially if you are making a big purchase like a boat.
Contact the factory they can direct you to the dealers.
Fair Winds.
Old 03-26-2002

nhblwfnm is on a distinguished road
Boats outside of USA

Doubleplay,

Aren''t there important differences in a European boat? What about the shore power hookup being 220 volts? What about all the nuts and bolts, etc. being metric? Maybe you can tell the factory to make the hookup per US standards?