Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007

llnzeg is on a distinguished road
First boat

Hello,

I am new here and relatively new to sailing - 2 years on Hobie 16 – no hull flying
I am looking to get a small trailable family sailboat for 3 (occasionally 4 or 5 max 6).
Something small 16’ up to 19’ – (I think 22 is too big) not to live on but to be able to occasionally spend a night or two (berths and tourist chemical toilet would be nice – tent on boom at least). I guess rather centerboard than keel and something, which can move in light wind - if we have to choose between comfort and performance, we choose performance – I hate those heavy floating bedrooms. Another feature looked after is low maintenance.
It will be sailed on small lakes and from time to time ocean bays and Great Lakes (close to shore).
I am considering 16’ Day Sailer, 19’ Flying Scot, 19’ Rhodes 19 or 19’ Mariner if I can find it. I would like to have something with positive flotation (I always consider worst scenario); something which is stable but not too difficult to right in case it flips.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2007

How about West Wight Potter 19?
How does it compare to Oday Mariner (Rhodes 19)?
Thanks
Old 02-24-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Unfortunately you wont find berths in most anything under 21 feet - the Rhodes19 has about a four foot cuddy top - these types of boats are called daysailers for a reason.. The class answer for small trailerable performance sailboat is a S2 - http://sail-s2.org/Boats.php I think the 6.9 would be an excellent first boat, easy to trailer, well built and still actively raced

Don't worry about the size, trust me 19-22 is a trivial size difference that will dissappear in a few hours of use, but you will have an overnighter...You might look up an area race fleet and get out to crew on boats like the 6.9 for a few days - you'll quickly find that the size is not at all intimidating..

If really you want to stay within 19 feet, the Rhodes 19 and Boston Whaler Harpoons are excellent performing daysailers.
Old 02-25-2007

Thanks.
Never heard about S2 boats before.
One more option to consider - still not sure if I want to jump to 22' at this moment.
Old 02-25-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Don't jump to the 22' until after you buy the 19'. Threefootitis gets almost everybody sooner or later.

The difference in handling between the two lenghts is minimal. In fact, the 22'may be easier.
Old 02-25-2007

tonic is on a distinguished road
There are some boats out there under 20 feet with berths. Balboa 16. One double and two quarter berths. The Vagabond 17. Two quarter berths and a split vee birth, has a galley,water storage and privacy for a head. Also has foam flotation. Swing keel. The Siren is similiar with a longer cockpit. The Windrose 5.5 has a double berth forward and two quater berths its similiar to the Balboa but has more LOA both have shoal draft ballast keels. Peace happy sailing
Old 03-02-2007

Hello again,

I’ve been reading about sailing a lot recently.
I came to conclusion that we need to wait with buying bigger boat and try renting some for a day or maybe even for whole weekend from time to time to see what type we like most.
In addition to rentals I think we need small day sailer at the moment to be able to go sailing as often as possible (even for 1h in the early evening).
I like O’Day Daysailer 16 for that purpose but there are not too many of the available. Those available are mostly early 70’s.
What other small day sailor should we consider (16’-17’)?
Something up to $3000

Thanks
Old 03-02-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Com-pac makes a nice little day sailor in several different sizes they aren't race boats but alot of fun and dry. we had a 16 and had a ball on it. it was a 1974 I think but the good thing aout the older day sailers is that you probably will get what you payed for it when it comes time to sell they have already depriciated out. You should be able to find one in your price range.
Old 03-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here's a few small daysailers. One might just be right for you. O-day went out of business a long time ago but their daysailer is a classic. They made lots of them but they are generally sold in local classified ads.
http://www.ms-pyc.com/boats/daysailers.htm

Also try the classifieds at www.boattraderonline.com
Old 03-02-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
A few more names for you to research, I've never owned but have been looking at them over the past few months: Precision 18, Starwind 19, Montego 19.

I walked on all of the foredecks & felt clumsy while just being parked on the lot, can imagine hopping out there in a hurry if something goes wrong & getting tripped up... I've got big ole flipper feet though. I wound up going with an SJ21 MKII due to its big flat foredeck, but at the cost of an almost useless cabin.