Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007

micetic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to micetic Send a message via Yahoo to micetic
Islander Bahama 24' as first boat?

I am thinking of getting the Islander Bahama 24 listed locally in my area on Craigslist as my first boat. Any opinions or things I ought to look for when I have a look at her? The link is below. Thanks for any tips!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/283964123.html
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Not a bad looking starter boat - you might look around at some comparable boats like Tanzer, Cal or Catalina to get a feel for what to expect for what money..
Old 02-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
Not a bad looking starter boat - you might look around at some comparable boats like Tanzer, Cal or Catalina to get a feel for what to expect for what money..
I have been looking around quite a bit and there was a nice Catalina 22 that I decided to go for but it was sold once I got back in touch with the owners, so I am back looking. I have not heard a lot about these boats and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Ever sail an Islander Bahama before?
Old 02-27-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Never sailed one - they were very popular - Google the History of Columbia Yachts - try Columbia Yacht Owners - there is something there about how Islanders came to be, I believe. Buy Don Casey's book called "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" Use that as a guide check the boat out. Don't worry too much about cosmetics and then go out and start sailing.
Old 02-28-2007

maestro is on a distinguished road
yes I have

my S.O.'s family ownes an I.B 24 flush deck, lots of room in cabin (for a 24 footer...) great sailing qualities. Initially tender but locks in at around 15-18 degrees of heel and does not move. The spoon bow softens the ride in a chop. BUT, it's a slow boat, and takes a long time to tack her and get back up to speed. They are nice boats to pocket cruise on (3 1/2 ft draft) Inboard or outboard?? Unless the inboard was replaced (it was a Palmer 1 cylander gas engine designed in the 40's) the outboard is more reliable...although is does not retract out of the water.
Old 02-28-2007

JustinC25 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JustinC25
I looked at an Islander 24 when I was shopping around for my first boat about a year and a half ago. I also found it on craigslist for $1k and it looked nice in the photos, but in person it was a mess and I didn't like the layout/design. It has a nice size cockpit, but in my opinion the interior was very cramped. It had low headroom (I'm 6'), I don't think there was a rear berth beneath the cockpit, and I just didn't like the layout. One reason I think there is less interior space is because the Islander has the well for the outboard. It hides the outboard and gives the boat a clean look, but the outboard is always in the water and then that also pushes the cockpit about 2' forward, taking away from the interior. A couple months later I came across a 1982 Catalina 25 which became mine two weeks later. I really like the design of the C-25. It's only 1' longer, but has so much more usable interior space. My C-25 has a pop top which gives over 6' of headroom and has a nice dinette interior layout. I would highly recommend looking at Catalina 25s. The Catalinas are also very popular, have a great owners association, and you can easily buy replacement parts. There are so many boats out there to choose from. Have fun looking around, checking them out in person to see what you really like.
Old 03-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC25
I looked at an Islander 24 when I was shopping around for my first boat about a year and a half ago. I also found it on craigslist for $1k and it looked nice in the photos, but in person it was a mess and I didn't like the layout/design. It has a nice size cockpit, but in my opinion the interior was very cramped. It had low headroom (I'm 6'), I don't think there was a rear berth beneath the cockpit, and I just didn't like the layout. One reason I think there is less interior space is because the Islander has the well for the outboard. It hides the outboard and gives the boat a clean look, but the outboard is always in the water and then that also pushes the cockpit about 2' forward, taking away from the interior. A couple months later I came across a 1982 Catalina 25 which became mine two weeks later. I really like the design of the C-25. It's only 1' longer, but has so much more usable interior space. My C-25 has a pop top which gives over 6' of headroom and has a nice dinette interior layout. I would highly recommend looking at Catalina 25s. The Catalinas are also very popular, have a great owners association, and you can easily buy replacement parts. There are so many boats out there to choose from. Have fun looking around, checking them out in person to see what you really like.

Weird that you suggested a Catalina 25, one came on Craigslist in my area just today. I will check it out, thanks for the tip!
Old 01-08-2009
Somewhat Flexible Member

ssneade will become famous soon enough
gee!
i have a contender almost identical to the islander24. yeah the cabin room is a little to be desired, but this is a boat that sailed to Hawaii from the west coast.
i wouldn't wanna try that in one of those egg shell thin catalina's. on heavy days, you'll be going out when they're coming in. believe me, that islander is as hard a boat as you could have as a first vessel. she'll do you well.
scott
Old 01-09-2009

Jim H is on a distinguished road
I second the comment about the Cat 25s. We sailed one out out of Island Sailing Club (Tomahawk Island, in Portland) for weekend cruising, and it was a fun boat. In fact, I think the V berth was more comfortable than a Cat 27.

I also may be biased, but I'd go for a Cal over an Islander, and maybe over a Cat, because of their heavier build quality and possibly "easier to work on" characteristics. Here's two from the Portland Craigslist:

1973 27 ft. CAL Sailboat - 27 - Proven Racing Sloop - Offers?

Great Cal Jensen 2-24 24 ft. Racing / Cruising Sailboat

There was also a Cal 34 listed on Portland Craigslist lately-- they are also not bad boats (to work on, sail, upgrade for cruising to a degree).

After you buy, check out McCuddy's for a slip. (Disclaimer: I have a Cal 20 there...) Let us know what happens-- and if you bought the Islander, show us some pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jim H; 01-09-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I am about to buy an islander 24' as an upgrade from my current Balboa 22' ...

I figure I can sell one during the summer for more money than I paid. I also like the idea of a full, glassed in keel. (Hawaii anyone?)