The Search for the First Boat - long learning curves - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Pmoyer and Goose -- great posts. As for me, in my teens I spent time around powerboats my father owned on a lake in southern Virginia. I didn't catch the sailing bug until I came to Maryland in 1971 for a job and met some sailors at work. Then I spent quite a few years sailing other people's boats (OPBs) with the occasional charter of my own. After I decided I wanted my own boat, I spent a total of 5 years looking for one. I found it at the Annapolis show in 1987 -- a Pearson 27. Even at that, it took me 2 more years of looking before I bought a brand new P-27. I owned that boat for nearly 15 years. When I decided to move up, I looked hard for 3 years beore buying my current boat -- a 1988 Pearson 33-2. It does take patience, refining your needs, building the bank account, refining what your sailing goals really are, etc.

PMoyer -- if you haven't connected with some Triton owners, let me know. I know several owners.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007

freddy4888 is on a distinguished road
pmoyer, your approach to boat buying is too involved. There is no perfect boat that will fit every need or want. Asking for advice and opinions on this forum is a start in the right direction but until you get on the water and start sailing will you determine you and your family needs in a boat. Find a boat that is a close fit and in good shape, buy it and go have a great time, you will be glad you did.
Old 02-26-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Depends on how you do it Sailhog. And how large of an area you're dealing with. Some just drill holes to allow the core to dry out and then fill with epoxy. To properly re-core, you need to remove the bottom skin and core, grind the upper layer, then put in new core and glass. And that doesn't even account for the stuff between you and the deck. There might be other ways, but that's the ways I know of.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
PBzeer,
Thanks for the note. There was a post a few weeks back by a fellow claiming his deck work was going to run him $22,000 on a smaller sailboat. Makes your blood run cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy4888
pmoyer, your approach to boat buying is too involved. There is no perfect boat that will fit every need or want. Asking for advice and opinions on this forum is a start in the right direction but until you get on the water and start sailing will you determine you and your family needs in a boat. Find a boat that is a close fit and in good shape, buy it and go have a great time, you will be glad you did.
Freddy, you're outta your mind. Mr. Moyer is, in my opinion, just trying to make the best of the time he has here on planet earth. No better way of *ucking it up by spending tens of thousands of dollars on the wrong boat. Put the crack pipe down and think about what your next sailboat should be.
Old 02-26-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Freddy and Sailhog - I think it requires some of both for the first boat. No matter how much you know about sailing, its different when you own a boat. So you can sail every weekend, but when you step off the dock, the owner will still be there working. You don't realize how much work it requires and how much you WANT to work on her. But, you also need to do SOME research. If you have no requirements, like Goose, then maybe it works, and maybe some luck helps. For under 10k, you are going to be limited. IMHO the more you are going to pay, the more research you might want to do, especially when you get to the top of your budget. You don't want to be stuck.

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-26-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog
Freddy, you're outta your mind. Mr. Moyer is, in my opinion, just trying to make the best of the time he has here on planet earth. No better way of *ucking it up by spending tens of thousands of dollars on the wrong boat. Put the crack pipe down and think about what your next sailboat should be.
If he is enjoying the process of looking for his boat then he is doing the right thing. He is also not out sailing. If he bought something small and cheap he could be sailing now and thinking about his next boat from the cockpit of his first! He would also begin to establish a pattern of usage that might well influence his thoughts about the next. For some, the best advice might well be: Get a boat, any boat, go sailing! You only live so long.
Old 02-26-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend
If you have no requirements, like Goose, then maybe it works, and maybe some luck helps.... You don't want to be stuck.
Being stuck, it seems to me, is a real danger. If you've only got a couple of grand on the line, then you'll never be stuck. But if you're looking to buy something to live on, cruise on, explore on, etc., then you want to take a good hard look at what you're trying to do and what will get you there...
sailhog
Old 02-26-2007
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
Yotphix,

I agree! There's no "right way" and "wrong way." I would love to be able to just grab a boat, carefree, and take off. And if I were younger, I might just do that. I'm getting cautious in my old age.

Besides, if I'm not careful and it's a disaster, I might not get a second chance. I'd really rather not be one of those poor guys choosing between his boat and his wife.

I was just trying to share my experience with other first-time boat shoppers, in hopes that it's helpful.

It's like buying stocks - it's all a matter of personal risk aversion.

Cheers,
Phil

P.S. When I have enough saved up, I fully plan to go get a boat that's close enough, learn on her, have fun with her, and figure out what I'm going to do next. Fortunately, my boss has already said I can work anywhere in the world where we have offices. In over 90 countries, that's a lot of exploring.... So for now it's going to be fun and learn, and the next one will be a bluewater boat (first stop, South Hampton, UK).

Last edited by pmoyer; 02-26-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Sailhog, I agree. If I had bought the wrong boat, I would be stuck, and maybe not sailing because the boat needed too much work and I bought at the top of my budget. But, I did enough research to find a combination of a solid boat that I could spend a lot of time on for a few years until I learned enough to narrow my search down even more.
pmoyer, its a great post, we all learn from each other. I may not know much, but i've got 41 years of opinions to back it up!

Oh, STOCKS! On the first read through, I thought you said "socks"....

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 02-26-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Pmoyers...I understood your comments on money. My only point was that buying multiple boats as a path to getting a cruising boat is quite costly in terms of losses in value, fitting out costs and brokerage fees. If the ultimate boat is affordable now...then buy it without the interim steps. If it is not affordable now...then get something cheap...old...and re-saleable....and go sailing now!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.