SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Are Col hulls cored?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
I am going to buy a boat in the next 2-4 months. I like the C34-36 models. I know from reading the board that the decks are cored but are the hulls?
Thanks, Mike

#2 ·
I assume that you mean Cal. Cals hulls were not cored with foam or balsa but some years and models had chopped glass inner laminates. From the tone of yoru post I am assuming that you are trying to avoid a boat with a cored hull. Properly built a cored hull is actually stronger and of equal durability. I would not run away from a boat just because it is cored.

Jeff

#3 ·
I could not agree more with Jeff. cored hulls actually have alot to offer if!! properly built.Examples: reduced noise,no sweating,cooler in the summer,warmer in the winter. If you use either heat or air conditioniing they save energy.
Our cored hull is 32 years old and we have not hade any problems.I check it each time I pull it or ground it for a scrub!

#4 ·
Yes, I meant CAL. Pressed the post button to quick.

My concern is that if you had water intrusion, the repair would seem to be much harder than if it were a deck. Also, I can''t help but think that a well used boat (even one well built)is going to have flexed a lot and that delamination is inevitable.

#5 ·
Actually, neither is the case. Repairs to hulls are actally easier than to decks. Decks with thier distictive non-skid patterns and often with full head liners are a harder repair than hulls which can often be accessed from the interior.

Cored hulls tend to flex less and so, all other things being equal are no more likely to have core delamination than an uncored boat is likely to have fatigue at high stress areas because they from flex a lot more.

In talking to a surveyor yesterday about this very subject, he indicated that in his experience Pearsons and Cals (typically non- cored hulls) do not stand up as well as Tartans, which by and large were cored hulls.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.