Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007

BlueWaterWannaBe is on a distinguished road
34' Hans Christian Clone Baba Cutter

Can anyone tell me what makes this boat different from the "authentic" HC (since this is only a "Clone")? This boat was just reduced in price on YachtWorld and I am seriously considering making an offer on it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
The Baba I gather is a straight Perry design, including a 35 all built by Tashing.
The owners assoc speaks of the design being revised twice first as the Panda series including a 34, then as the Tashiba series including a 36.
The Panda designs are credited to Gary Grant of Performance Design Corp, while the Tashiba series are attributed to Perry. Perry claims the Baba and Tashiba.
I don't think it would be accurate to say the Panda is a clone of the Baba if that is what you are thinking of but it was built by the same company for a similiar purpose so one would expect similarities and some differences.
The HC stems from a 34 commissioned and designed by Perry but enlarged by the Union yard that then built it as the HC36. Evidently they denied him royalties and he then disputed their using his name.
The person involved split subsequently and the Union yard built the Union 36, under various names, including Mariner and the former teacher who had been involved built the HC 36 elsewhere, presumably as a copy since Union apparently kept the moulds.
Perry had his revenge by designing the Tayana.
I haven't heard of a Baba clone but who knows. Perhaps you are thinking of the Panda. Perry's influence is there amongst most of the above boats which are of similar type and size. The BABAowners site will show you the plans so you can compare them.

Last edited by chris_gee; 03-01-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2007

Chris,
Sorry for the late "thank you", but THANK YOU! You seem to be very knowledgable about these boats? Anything you can tell that would discourage or influence a purchase of one? I'm looking at a Baba 34'.

Thank you again Chris!!!!!
Old 05-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
BWWB... They are fine, seaworthy boats. Like all heavy, teak laden boats out of Taiwan in that era...you have to insure that the decks are solid and that there are no chain plate or tank leak issues along with normal survey concerns but assuming a good survey...this is an excellent boat for extended blue water cruising. Not the best choice for weekending on the Chesapeake!
Old 05-03-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Be careful about HC "clones". There were a few half-finished boats at the old yard when HC moved production to Singapore. Some of those were finished off by less-than-reputable folks and from what I've heard, they're downright dangerous. There were also a few at the end of that production run that varied widely in build quality and material quality.
Old 05-03-2007

Camaraderie.....are chain and tank leaks typical problems for the Baba or just all boats in general?

TS.....I guess my question would have to be..when did they move to Singapore? The boat is a 1985. Also, wouldn't a surveyor be able to determine the quality of construction/material?

Thanks for your guys' input...extremely helpful.

Rick
Old 05-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
A lot of taiwan boats of that era had teak decks...steel tanks and for some reason...chainplate issues. Many have either been ell maintained and no problems OR have already been fixed so no issue...but a boat sitting in the caribe sun unsold with teak decks might have some issues on deck. I'd get a big hose and spray her down as well as checking for signs of leakage under deck. Not to scare you off....just to be prudent! They are easy to fall in love with and you need to date a while first!!
Old 05-03-2007

That's a great analogy!!!!! I've been known to jump into a serious relationship without really knowing her first.

I'll definately keep a better eye out this time. Of course $70k to $80k is less than what I've had to spend on failed relationships...LOL

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.