Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
This might belong in the "you might be a redneck sailor" thread but I'll post it here anyway.
I use Google Earth(you can zoom in close enough to see the bouys), and my DeLorme GPS mapping to check out places I might want to visit. Use G.E. to look at the "real" spot, overlay the map to get the roads names and such. A lot of the marinas are listed on most GPS software.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2007

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
CCarson
I second the notion to not discount MacGregors, they are trailerable, within your budget and very versatile. They are not highly regarded here because thi site is largely anti-MacGregor in my experienve. There is a nice one in my avatar with me sailing it and I sail the Pacific Northwest where conditions can get pretty rough. They are great boats for their intended purpose which is not blue water, but inland lakes or protected coastal. Slips are expensive and hard to find add to that, boats are being manufactured faster than slips are being built and you have a growing shortage of ever more expensive slips. I could be wrong but I suspect trailerables are going to become more popular in the future.
Old 03-09-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Here ya go - this one is over priced, but it's got some good pics. There are a few of these around - you should be able to find one for close to what you want to spend. I believe they have an Owner's website - may be some for sale on there.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...&pbsint=&ps=30
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailormann-

Pretty little boat...and I'm impressed that it has 33% ballast...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-09-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
It's a Lyle Hess design and they are apparently quite seaworthy...
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, Lyle Hess designs tend to be pretty and pretty seaworthy... solid little boats.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-19-2008

MrE2u2 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Thanks, but no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Alex...your cheapest is over 10x his stated budget. We do not permit unpaid commercial advertising but am leaving this post as it was in response to a question.
You were VERY generous with this guy! The stated budget was given.. and stated quite clearly.. If you can't match, or beat it.. and stay within the price range.. don't offer stuff way outside his range! Its like offering a mercedes sl to a guy looking for a honda. VERY bad form.

Last edited by MrE2u2; 11-19-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2008

121Guy is on a distinguished road
What to do?

Carson,

I've owned several small trailerables over the years. In your price range you might want to consider looking at some of the 22 or 23 foot S2 designs. A friend just purchased an S2 6.9 for just over your price. It was ready to sail but needed some work on the trailer. It hadn't been moved for a while so the tires and bearings needed doing over and the wiring as well. The other thing you may want to consider is that boats this size don't usually require (but it's still nice to have) surge brakes which makes the trailer simpler and less expensive. You are looking at a total loaded weight to pull somewhere around 4,000 lbs. This size also lets you tow down the road without a wide load permit and behind some smaller vehicles a bigger boat doesn't. I forget what the max beam is before you have to deal with that.

The reason I mention the S2's is that they have a lifting ballasted daggerboard that pulls straight up as opposed to a weighted keel that hinges back on a pivot. I believe this feature makes them great sailors. Most of these are over 20 years old and some had balsa core in areas prone to get water intrusion so check that out carefully.

Last, most homeowners insurance policies will cover a trailerable sailboat under a certain size. Check that out before selecting a boat as well.

Good luck, there are boats out there in your range. They will be old and maybe need some work but the right one is out there!

121Guy