Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2002

danapsy is on a distinguished road
Ericson 26 vs. Pearson 27

My wife and I are considering either an Ericson 26 or a Pearson 27 for our first sailboat to cruise on long weekends off the Maine coast. I''d be interested in any comments pro or con either sailboat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

I''ve owned a Pearson 27 since it was new in 1989. Great starter boat for a couple, and also easy to singlehand (which is what I do mostly.) Nice hull shape, good in light air and a downwind rocket! Draft at 3''4" is nice here on the Chesapeake. It does like to be reefed at about 15-18 knots. As with most boats, she sails better the flatter you can keep her. I''ve been out in 40 knots plus and the boat can take more than I can.

What sold me on the boat years ago is the main cabin design. The head is aft to starboard and the rest of the cabin is open all the way to the bow. Drop the salon table and you have a fantastic berth for 2 people, tons of room.

About the only common problem I can think of for these boats is the coating on the winged keel. It''s a brittle epoxy or some such coating that is prone to cracking and getting blisters. But the fix is easy. Chip/grind out the loose stuff and replace with WEST epoxy, or whatever your favorite is. Same coating is on all the winged keels and is a problem for all Pearsons of that vintage. I''ve also heard of Sabre''s having the same problem.

We do have an informal P-27 email list, and I can put you in touch with that group if you''d like. Just email me directly at sailormitch@sailnet.net.

In case you haven''t guessed, I know nothing about the Ericson 26.
Old 01-12-2002

DARE-Oriental is on a distinguished road

SailorMitch,
Have you joined the Pearson Current?? I''ve looked at their site, but haven''t joined.

We also love our OLD Pearson. 1973 P-33. A Shaw designed, no frills, great sailing boat. When I was a teenager, my family had a mid-60s Pearson Vanguard. Prettier, but I believe the P-33 is a better sailor.
Old 01-12-2002
Senior Moment

I''m familiar with the Pearson Current, and the National Pearson Yacht Owner''s Association, but have never joined. It gets mixed reviews primarily because the fellow who runs it, Bill Lawrence, keeps it a one man show. It''s more than he can handle, so the usefulness of the organization and the information is limited.

I am Vice Commodore of the Pearson Sailing Association of the Chesapeake Bay, so get my Pearson info fix that way. But our group in no way tries to compete with NPYOA. We have a couple of land events a year and rendezvous every month during sailing season. We also publish a newsletter, which was intermittent last year, but WILL be more frequent this year.

The older P-33''s are nice sailing boats from what I hear. It no doubt sails better than my 27 with it''s winged keel. But the volume below on my boat would probably surprise you, too. Where do you sail? Just wondering is all.
Old 01-12-2002

DARE-Oriental is on a distinguished road

SailorMithch, We''re in Oriental, NC. Planning a trip to Chesapeake the year. Hopefull leave Oriental around Memorial Day and return Oct; throught the Dismal Swamp canal. I''ve not been sailing in Chesapeake in many years, and really looking forward to it. No particular plans yet. Where are you?
Old 01-12-2002
Senior Moment

Dare -- I sail out of Rock Creek, near the mouth of the Patapsco River down from Baltimore. Pretty good area for sailing. Your trip will be great. Lots of terrific places to see on the bay. If you want some of my favorites, email me directly at writersailor@aol.com. The Pearson Sailing Assoc. sponsors rendezvous every month, primarily in the mid-northern bay. I''ll forward the schedule to you once we have it just in case you''d like to hook up with some other Pearsonites while you''re up this way.
Old 01-14-2002

kosullivan is on a distinguished road

danapsy,

Wow, lots of Pearson fans here! I''ve sailed extensively in both boats, if you reverse your footages, that is. Ericson 27, Pearson 26. My humble opinions here are assuming that these boats are all fairly similar. Anyone feel free to correct me if I''m wrong. (It has been known to happen!!)

While they are both great boats, my vote is on the the Ericson. It sounds to me like your cruising is going to involve some wind and weather at some point, and the Ericson will take a heck of lot more and handle much better than the Pearson.

I have double handed and single handed both boats. In my opinion, the Pearson is a lot more tender, and requires a reef or dropping the main altogether when the wind pipes up over 20 or so. The Ericson is also better at powering through waves.

Good luck - would like to hear what you end up with!!

KathieO
Old 01-14-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

While both the Pearson and Ericson are good vessels why not consider another boat in the same size range with similar a heritage from a company that is still in business? I once owned a Sabre 28 and it was a very nice cruising boat for two people with the benefit of a manufacturer currently making boats where you can still get information and support. An early 80s boat should have pressure water, diesel, wheel with autopilot, good storage and above all very seaworthy. The 28s were all solid fiberglass hull and very strong boats with tabbed bulkheads and furniture. Owners groups are helpful but they canít send you new hatch boards or companionway frame from stock?
Old 01-15-2002
Senior Moment

Just a comment on what Kathie said. While I agree with her bottom line on reefing the Pearson at 20 knots plus, the P-26 she has sailed in is a far different boat from the P-27. The P-26 debuted in 1970, the P-27 in 1987. Bill Shaw learned quite a bit in those 17 years, especially how to get and use interior volume. The 27, while really only a few inches longer than the 26, is an all around bigger boat in all dimensions, especially displacement, LWL and beam.

I haven''t sailed any Ericsons, but the P-27 handles rough water very well. I''ve had mine out in 30-40 knot winds on the Chesapeake and just completed a circumnavigation of the Delmarva Peninsula with 20-30 knot winds on the Delaware Bay. The 27 handled it all beautifully.

Old 01-25-2002

danapsy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information. A lot will depend on what is available in the Northeast. I am leaning toward a Pearson 27 because of the greater headroom, but there is an Ericson 26 available locally. There are some Pearson 27''s available in Massachusetts. Any ideas about buying in the off season given that a sea trial could not happen here in Maine until mid-April or slightly earlier in Massachusetts or Rhode Island? Would I be taking too big a chance if a portion of the price was held in escrow pending a sea trial, especially of the engine''s performance?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.