Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Data doesn't always provide a real picture but for what it's worth - I know these are asking prices. A statistically non-valid 5 minute search of Yachtworld (national search) results yielded - throwing out the high and low valued boats:

Yr 2000- 2001
size 42 ft

Hunter $165k - $237k 9 boats for sale
Catalina $169k - $195k 16 boats
Beneteau $132k - $162k 5 boats

If someone wanted to take a look at a wider range and provide the data, this might provide some empirical evidence to actually show which holds it's value more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
The catalina 36 is a very comfortable live aboard, a very good sailing boat, and is considered classic plastic by many magazines. It has been recently written up in the latest Boat US magazine, and has many, many other publications about it. The Boat US did a good job of ephasizing the good and bad. However, I am very familiar with this boat and it is well built given that it is a production boat. WIth the fold up table and small coffee table to the side, it makes it feel much more spacious than other designs. The MKII is the better of the 2, so if I was shopping, that is what I would look for (though I think that will be fine because of your time slot anyways, and I think there are only MKII's in that slot). The 36 is also good for island hopping and cruising and you can review some of the writeups, but they are all over the world (including one in France right now, finished ENgland). I do NOT NOT NOT say this is a ocean crosser, though many have done it. But, it is a good island hopper and liveaboard. The only real negative I will throw out for this boat is it is difficult to fit a generator in there. We put one in the saloon under the table, but that eats up a bunch of the space. The cost of doing this will never be recouped (as it is going to be a good 13-15k). You really need to get into a 380 to get some of that money back. Still, you can have air conditioning at the dock and I will be honest, even in the middle of summer in S Florida, we will have to close down the hatches as we get chilled if there is much wind at all (when anchored). The 36 is reasonably priced and will fit your needs.

Mainsheet is the technical magazine for Catalinas. I am obviously a member. I will be happy to give you more information and direct you to the folks that run that section.

There are other boats that do well too - but I am not deeply familiar with them. I have looked at a Morgan OI, a Islander, and benes for my parents who are looking too (though their budget is a bit higher).

All the best. Fair winds,

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-09-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
A broken record..

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk
Data doesn't always provide a real picture but for what it's worth - I know these are asking prices. A statistically non-valid 5 minute search of Yachtworld (national search) results yielded - throwing out the high and low valued boats:

Yr 2000- 2001
size 42 ft

Hunter $165k - $237k 9 boats for sale
Catalina $169k - $195k 16 boats
Beneteau $132k - $162k 5 boats

If someone wanted to take a look at a wider range and provide the data, this might provide some empirical evidence to actually show which holds it's value more.
KIVSK,
You did an almost identical post above about three weeks ago, and got this response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
K1VSK...One of the gross ways in which your sample is distorted is that ALL 6 Beneteau 42's on the yachtworld site are in Europe or Asia. With the dollar so badly devalued...you can't make international price comparisons like that. Furthermore...there is no background on the boats but Bene's are far more likely to be charter boats than the other two so one would expect lower prices.
The only real way to compare these brands I think is at the boat shows for similarly equipped boats new. They are usually pretty close.
Why toss it out again?
Old 03-09-2007

You didn't read my response to cam- or maybe did and choose to ignore it?
Regardless, I said that I selected only U.S. listed boats and clealy excluded the top and bottom prices to compensate for charter boat price devaluation.

If resale value is a consideration to the person who posted the question, what would not be relevant in this response?
Old 03-09-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Dumb exercise

Quote:
You didn't read my response to cam- or maybe did and choose to ignore it?
Regardless, I said that I selected only U.S. listed boats and clealy excluded the top and bottom prices to compensate for charter boat price devaluation.

If resale value is a consideration to the person who posted the question, what would not be relevant in this response?
The most basic issue is any consideration of resale value has to start with original cost as equipped which you don't know.

As to your analysis, on the www.yachtworld.com that comes up in my browser, there are no U.S. Listed 2000-2001 Beneteau 42s, nada. Still a dumb exercise, even if you had what you thought you had.
Old 03-09-2007

thanks for yet another example...
As stated, my intent was to provide the poster with some qualified information and suggest he ignore potentially biased and uninformed opinions of strangers and do some more thorough research. What's your's?
Old 03-09-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Example of...

Quote:
thanks for yet another example...
As stated, my intent was to provide the poster with some qualified information and suggest he ignore potentially biased and uninformed opinions of strangers and do some more thorough research. What's your's?
My intent was to demonstrate that your post IS a baised and uninformed opinion, and now you seem interested in changing the subject.
Old 03-09-2007

My post was intended as constructive and consists of qualified limited empirical data you apparently don't like and which somehow you confuse with opinion and bias and categorize as a "dumb exercise". Curious comments and personal attacks coming from someone with that screen name.
Old 03-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Would anyone like to hear any more about my catalina? Quick question, can you cruise with dogs? Weather sure is nice here today, nearly 70 degrees and climing...

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Weather sure is nice here today, nearly 70 degrees and climing...
Do you have any empirical data to support that CD?