Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Sailormann,

Yes, the surveyor did the tapping hammer thing and spent a total of 2.5 hours on the boat.

The moisture readings were actually "average" for a 30 year boat according to what he said, but nothing serious.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions so far - I am getting a clearer picture now.

I still like the boat a lot - and will actually enjoy doing some of the repairs myself to learn a few things.

I doubt the owner will make the updates/repairs, as he is in his 80s and his main reason for selling is he's too old/lacks strength, so he'd probably rather just get rid of the boat a.s.a.p

Kacper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
There's a whole slew of "for sale by owner" C27's around here, all about 3-5,000. Don't know the years or the conditions, but keep seeing the notes at the post office amd hanging on the masts. Comes from Channel Islands Harbor Marina getting rid of a lot of smaller slips in favor of fewer BIGGER slips.
Old 03-10-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
I am thinking of offering 8,000 K now after doing research tonight.

I am a first time buyer after all, and the broker knows that I was un-educated so it wont come as a big surprise. If I dont get it, I know there are al ot of other Cats on the market.

The haul out was cheap, just $100 on top of the survey, which was a little on the steep side, $455 - but I was happy with it.

Kacper
Old 03-10-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you're on the right track - be interesting to see how it works out. The owner may well be willing to let it go cheaply - it's probably the broker who is trying to bounce the price up. They are a special breed brokers, spawned in hell and not fit to be amongst decent folk...
Old 03-10-2007

Ronbye is on a distinguished road
1. The propane heater doesn't need to come out, it looks like a catalytic heater. Very Safe and doesn't produce a visible flame. Definetly replace the propane hose. A solenoid shut off valve is required.

2. Fire Extinquishers are about $20.00CDN for a 5lb ABC, can be purchased from Wal Mart or any hardware store.

3.VHF radio, good time to get one with DSC calling anyway. Check out Binnacle or West Marine for price comparisons.

4.Navigation lights are not too expensive. Consider a Tri-light. to go on the top of the mast.

5. Find out from your local coast guard and/or the US Power and Sail Squadron what the requirements are for a sail boat less than 30'. This will help you determine what is required. As well, I would suggest that you consider taking their Boating courses.

6. There are not to many 27' boats with an oven. This is a bonus.

Finally, don't insult the seller by low balling the offer, be fair and be ready with a counter offer. Before you make the offer, get the owner to take you out for a sail if at all possible.

Last edited by Ronbye; 03-10-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Kacper - one thing I noticed in your replies is that it appears you didn't have a sea trial. That should have been part of the survey. If this deal should not go through, be sure the next time that the sea trial is included in the survey.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Kacper

You've gotten a lot of good advice above.. bottom line is-

The fixes and changes outlined by the survey are typical and you'll likely find the same with most any older boat you go after - extinguishers, flares, fuel hose, etc are going to be tagged in nearly every case. All of which is in the DIY category. The heater may well be an insurance liability.

Armed with this survey, I see nothing wrong with your current plan to offer something closer to the market value, as your original offer was subject to this survey.

The seller may well make a substantial move now that a deal is close - refusing will cost him more money as he is liable for moorage etc as long as he owns it.

As tough as this may be, act with your head, not your heart - as someone said, C27s are common as dirt - lots of them around.

Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Read the Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacper
I am thinking of offering 8,000 K now after doing research tonight.

I am a first time buyer after all, and the broker knows that I was un-educated so it wont come as a big surprise. If I dont get it, I know there are al ot of other Cats on the market.

The haul out was cheap, just $100 on top of the survey, which was a little on the steep side, $455 - but I was happy with it.

Kacper
I assume you signed a purchase contract. No contract, ignore the rest of this post...

If you did, you have better read it very carefully and very quickly, what you can do is entirely constrained by the flexibility permitted to you by the contract. This is the type of situation where having a friendly contract (i.e. not one prepared by the broker) is essential, or you may have bought yourself a boat at the offered price.

Does the contract give you a time window to cancel based the results of a survey satisfactory to you. If so, be sure to send a written notice by registered mail before the end of the window!!! You can always go back a day later and make a new offer...

Read the contract and ensure you avoid ending up legally obligated to purchase the boat at the offered price because you havent exercised your out, if in fact you have a simple out.

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-10-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2007

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacper
Now, the surveyor's main comments were "You're paying way too much for this boat" After he checked the market data, he came up with a fair market value of $7,800 for the boat. My intial offer was $12,000
You can register with www.bucvalu.com for a consumer account to look up book values for boats. I just checked this one and got Retail Price Range: $7,550-$8,650, so your surveyor's estimate seems in line.

You've already made an offer of $12K subject to survey, and the survey doesn't show $4K in problems. It might be best to cancel your offer and start to walk away. If they want to keep talking, you can show them the survey, make a fresh offer of $7800, and say take it or leave it. (Assuming the $7800 already takes into account the necessary repair work, otherwise, offer less.)

The danger is that you fall in love with this particular boat and the seller has an unreasonable expectation of its value. You're going to need that extra $4K soon enough, so no point in throwing it away.

I wouldn't worry that someone else is going to step in and snap it up in the mean time. If the seller won't budge from $12K, you can look around and if you don't find anything else you like, you can always go back and pay $12K for this one.

Good luck!

Tim
Old 03-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Kacper...SailingFool is absolutely right. Do not SAY or put in WRITING that the boat is not worth $12000 based on what your surveyor said. You already have a signed contract saying that it IS worth that much. You can (under most broker contracts) walk away if the survey is not to your satisfaction but you CAN'T walk away if you suddenly decide your offer was too high. Stating this may jeopordize your 10% deposit.
By all means...counter offer based on the SURVEY FINDINGS OF FAULT or Walk Away...but don't dig yourself a hole! Good luck!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.