Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good summary of the boat buying process Keelhaulin'.

When you are looking at a boat, it might be a good thing to talk to the other boat owners in the marina. They can often tell you what the real story behind the boat is—whether it was raced hard, sat at the dock and used for evening cocktails, etc...

Also, when you are looking at a boat, check inside the lockers, and other spaces that you don't normally look very closely at. Often, these areas can tell you whether the boat has normally been well taken care of or if the shiny, clean boat you are seeing has just been done for the sake of selling it. A shiny galley stove doesn't mean much if there's a good layer of grunge stuck under the stove. People often look and see how clean and well kept things are, and forget to look past the surface appearances.

If a lot of work has recently been done on the boat and they are selling... try to find out why the work was necessary.

When one of my crew was looking at a boat, it had had all new interior upholstery and cushions as well as some new electronics replaced about six months previous. What the owner didn't say, and talking to the other people at the marina revealed was that the boat had sunk at the dock the previous season because a through hull popped a hose. That was the primary reason for the refit. The surveyor found some interesting water lines behind some of the storage lockers. While the wiring looked fine, but I'm willing to bet that not too much further down the line it would have had some serious problems as well.

Don Casey's book Inspecting the Aging Sailboat is a bit more thorough than the brief outline he has in his repair book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Keelhaulin, thanks for that summary, I'll implement that strategy the next time I go looking.

Right now I have decided to save more cash for a more sea-worthy boat. I might end up buying a Catalina, who knows. I'm looking at the Alberg designs and I really like them, but there aint much of those in the Pacific Northwest.

I also like the Spencers, there's a beautiful 35' spencer here for sale, and some 31' Spencers.

Anyone own these before?

... if only you had the same leverage when getting married as you do when in the boat buying process

"Do you swear to serve and protect, subject to the results of a survey, a 3 month living trial and inspection of the merchandise?"

Kacper
Old 03-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kacper-

Buy an Alberg down in sunny California, and sail it up the coast.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-22-2007

resdog is on a distinguished road
$12,000. for a '76 saltwater Catalina 27 is way over priced. Take a look at all the Catalina 27's on the market, especially the mid 70's, they are all averaging well under $10,000 and there are a ton of them out there. If you really like it make a low ball offer. As my car salesman uncle always told me: If you aren't embarassed by your first offer, you've left money on the table.
Old 03-22-2007

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
$12'000.00 is around average in BC Canada and the nav lights confuse me if they are red and green and work they are good in bc
Old 03-22-2007

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
cost of Boat your dream

well how much is a dream worth, kind of hard to put a price on, well I was there back in 2005 when I bought my Morgan, and even though knew she was a project, I still waited a week to by her 10,000 less, I learned later that one should look at half the price of asking and work from there, as I've found out most boats are hard to sell, don't hold the price against the boat, she just what's a new owner to take care of her, so step back look at the adventure of repairing her, the list is not bad at all, I think your lucky that's all she needs, I spent 90,000 on my Morgan and don't regret as she is my home

Artful
Old 03-22-2007
Telstar 28

Jimmyb116

$12000 CDN is not the same as $12000 US.

Artfuldodger- What morgan do you have??

Telstar 28
New England