Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007

andreasmehlin is on a distinguished road
Vessel flag vs. passport flag?

Something is bothering me. Why is the world so complicated?

I am swedish according to my passport ....but want to be something else when doing boat-deals and sailing...it would be much easier.

I havent got it, but if I buy a vessel in USA or anywhere in the caribean.
Will things be complicated if I buy a boat over there and sailing with that vessels (where it is registrated) flag.

Is the only non-complicated situation when I buy a boat within EU (where I belong)?

Regards
Andreas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2007
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
On two occasions, I have bought and operated boats in foreign countries; once in France and once in the United States of America. On both occasions, I registered the boats in Canada and flew my Canadian colours.

You should be able to do something similar; buy a boat offshore and register it in Sweden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-11-2007

ok. The only problem is...I have too pay the damn swedish bloddy VAT (25%). And if I import it (which it almost is like, if I sail it to Sweden) I have to have a CE stamp it (not that easy according to many)

Regards
Andreas
Old 03-11-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
The only way I have seen round it, is to register a company in the land you want to flag and then have the company buy the boat and register it there. But I expect there are snags to that too. The EU customs men are wise to the trick and you may have to prove that the company is chartering it to others in the flagged state.
Buying in the US and importing to Sweden means not only VAT, if its new, it might mean import duty too, plus the CE RCD cert., as you say. An old boat might get away with less.
But there are plenty of boats in Sweden to buy, and they are reputedly cheaper to buy than elsewhere in Europe....
Old 03-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens
But there are plenty of boats in Sweden to buy, and they are reputedly cheaper to buy than elsewhere in Europe....

ABSOLUTELY TRUE....

I read this a long while ago and was going to say the same...makes no sense to me, why he wants to buy in the US...
Old 03-11-2007

The main reason I want to buy i abroad is that I want to skip the sailing in Europe. And vessels in the size of 36-38 ft is much cheaper in US. My purpose was/is not to sail it to Sweden and then sell it there.

Regards
Andreas Mehlin
Old 03-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can't buy a boat in the US and fly the US flag, since you're not a US citizen. US-flagged vessels must be owned by US Citizens. You could flag the vessel as a Swedish vessel, but then you have to deal with the problems of long-term cruising as a foreign flagged vessel.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Still does not make sense to me...

Every year, we see a true "migration" of Southern Europeans, that go to Scandinavia just to look and buy their cheap boats ( I remember when we were young asking a friend that was a Pilot with Air Portugal) to get us Scandinavian boat magazines to see the boats we wanted to buy).

These boats are well maintained by rich Scandinavians, sail 6 months and spend 6 months dry.... The best prices in the World...he wants a "shorter" short cut....

Buy your boat in Europe like I do and pay taxes like we do.... it stimulates the Economy!!
Old 03-11-2007
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
... and pay taxes like we do.... it stimulates the Economy!!
I agree, taxes are a part of the price of most things we buy. Because of taxes, spending money does more to share your wealth with the rest of society than does anything else short of charitable donations.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 03-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think the real issue is that he doesn't want to buy the boat in Europe because he doesn't want to have to sail the boat to the USA. He wants to buy the boat where he is going to be sailing the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.