Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
God help me, I can't help it... I want one!

Okay, I know that absolutely everybody is going to try and talk me out of it (except possibly Giu with his new found love of Formosas) however I can't help it. I want an old china clipper. I don't care if it is a Hudson, Hardin, Formosa, Crealock/Farrington or what. I know I'm looking at rot. I know they are slow (so am I!). Since I was a boy sailing with my dad up and down the inside passage I have always loved the look of a ketch, stretched out on the water with that bow sprit seaming to reach out for the next wave. Can't help it... I even want the teak decks!

So, now that I have laid myself bare, and understanding that I 'want' to take on a project boat. That is 12-18 months of full time, boat on the hard, bare hull up, rebuild... is there anything anyone can say that could possibly talk me out of this insanity?

I'm positively hooked. Dream about it... draw pictures... prepare lists...I know I will never see the money again. Couldn't possibly sell it for what I will put into it... wouldn't want to.

I got distracted by school and career. Now I'm back to where I belong. Don't need the fancy car, could care less about a Plasma TV. Even considering giving up the Skiing/Snowboarding to make this happen.

So here's my question... Should I be looking at any other ketches? Is there anything out there that you have seen that strikes your fancy? I'm pretty set on the Formosa 51, Aft Cockpit, Ketch Rig.

There it is... I feel like I have just entered a 12 step program for sailors!
Old 03-12-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Portugese women might be easier. Practice saying uh huh, yes dear, sorry dear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee
Portugese women might be easier. Practice saying uh huh, yes dear, sorry dear.
This doesn't exactly sound like it is specific to Portugese women... it describes most women pretty well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-12-2007

lannig is on a distinguished road
Go for it
Don't listen to the naysayers
Buying your dreamboat is fullfilling your dreams (and nightmares !), not somebody else
If you were sane you would not be on this forum or even considering buying a boat

Old 03-12-2007

XTR is on a distinguished road
I think the Hudson looks better than the Formosa. I think I've read soemwhere that the CT54 may sail a touch better than the formosa/Hudson's, and a vagabond 47 is probably worth a look too. .
Old 03-12-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I love the Hardin Voyager 45....the interior layout is so unique! It was actually featured in a movie with Adam Sandler and Drew Barymore. He spends a bunch of time working on it and sails away at the end of the movie....how Happy The only problem with most boats like this is making any headway to windward.......of course my SC is no fin-keeler anyway!
Old 03-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ditto XTR...the Vagabonds are nice...see if you like them. As long as you have lots of $$'s and time and never hope to get either back....I say go for it.
The best part of a dream is the getting there!
Old 03-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One can have a dream, or one can live a dream. The choice is yours.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking
Okay, I know that absolutely everybody is going to try and talk me out of it (except possibly Giu with his new found love of Formosas) however I can't help it. I want an old china clipper. I don't care if it is a Hudson, Hardin, Formosa, Crealock/Farrington or what. I know I'm looking at rot. I know they are slow (so am I!). Since I was a boy sailing with my dad up and down the inside passage I have always loved the look of a ketch, stretched out on the water with that bow sprit seaming to reach out for the next wave. Can't help it... I even want the teak decks!

So, now that I have laid myself bare, and understanding that I 'want' to take on a project boat. That is 12-18 months of full time, boat on the hard, bare hull up, rebuild... is there anything anyone can say that could possibly talk me out of this insanity?

I'm positively hooked. Dream about it... draw pictures... prepare lists...I know I will never see the money again. Couldn't possibly sell it for what I will put into it... wouldn't want to.

I got distracted by school and career. Now I'm back to where I belong. Don't need the fancy car, could care less about a Plasma TV. Even considering giving up the Skiing/Snowboarding to make this happen.

So here's my question... Should I be looking at any other ketches? Is there anything out there that you have seen that strikes your fancy? I'm pretty set on the Formosa 51, Aft Cockpit, Ketch Rig.

There it is... I feel like I have just entered a 12 step program for sailors!
My good friend Looking....any boat you buy is GOOD!!!!!! It serves its purpose....

Unfortunately...all I know from that type of boats is the Formosa, and the Hardin, and not only from the movie..with the bicycle tyre as wheel..there's one here...we call it the gypsy man....He uses his laundry as sails!!!!

So I would never say yes or no to them...but for now YES!!!!

If you buy one of those boats...first you need to know how to sail them...they're not as easy to sail as they seem...the Formosa I sailed, you actually had to turn the wheel 3 times before the bow crossed!!!!...the sailing is smooth and confortable, but sea snails and dogs go faster....the trim was relaitively useless and limited...but man are they fun...and they for sure have that "adventurous pirate caribbean calm tequilla sunrise feelin" I understand you perfectly well and support you in your quest....

Get ready for some major spending and spending the rest of your life fixing things...the Formosa had almost 20 winches!!!!!!

My wife loved the woodwork inside with engraved wood panels!!!! AMAZING!!!!

GO AND GET HER....DON't THINK TWICE

You could then sail to Portugal and we could do some "boat swaping"...we would go out in yours, listen to PB's sound selection, cruise like Cam, and be happy as Sailortjk1 or T34, and the next day, go out on my boat, and come back home with mosquitoes in our teeth.....

This post does not mean I want one....I like them because they are sailboat...this only to discourage "dark side" jokes and other...

GO MAN...you still there???? Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son Fred posted a few photos yesterday...go check them...

Here a few I posted before to get you wound up!!!

Old 03-12-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Once most of us get beyond the swashbuckling looks of boats like these, we conclude that these are boats that will only appeal to a narrow slice of the sailing public. Once you get past the long term extremely high cost of upgrading and maintaining one of these 35 year plus poorly built boats, you still need to consider how they they sail, and while tastes are very subjective I suspect that will kill any desire for one.

I love traditional boats, and have owned and restored quite a few very traditional designs, but I hate the way these Asian ersat China Clippers sail. Its not about speed. They just do not sail well as compared to genuine traditional working watercraft and they lack the virtues in terms of ease of handling through a wide range of conditions and motion comfort, that make traditional working watercraft so much fun to sail. They also lack the performance, ease of handling through a wide range of conditions and motion comfort that is found in the best of more modern designs.

Which is all to say, I am not here to talk you out of buying one of these boats, as much as I am suggesting that you actually get out and spend some time sailing on these boats in a range of conditions, which like most people who actually enjoy sailing more than simply being out on the water, will probably change your mind about lusting after one.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-12-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.