Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, whoever the original poster was, I think you have your answer. If Giu knows them first hand, there you go. Does not mean it is a bad boat, as Giu said, but be aware of the reality of a stock boat versus, well, highly modified.

Giu knows his stuff, racing at least. I am still working on the whole cruising thing with him, but making progress...!!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Yes, I like Dufour too. I had asked Giu about them some time ago and he had recommended them, said they were good boats. So, he is not biased against them.
CD, maybe you could entice him to come over for some chicken.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-30-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
What? Invite him to the Captains Table? He has to work his way up to that honor. Of course, I guess when the flame goes out, I could give him the AIm&Flame.

(smile).

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-30-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Blues- Seems kinda hard to say the boat wasn't modified then post a quote from the skipper saying that the keel, hull, sails, rigging, and mast were different?????

So far G- is the only one with first hand knowledge, apart from the quote from the skipper. It is a little off track from the original post, but sounds like Dufour wants to pull a fast one with their marketing.
Old 03-30-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Yeah but the real question is: Giu did YOU race her....?........

I looked at the link Giu posted earlier with the boat specs and some photos(Tidewater Marina). Damn fine looking boat!!!!

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 03-30-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymar83
Yeah but the real question is: Giu did YOU race her....?........

I looked at the link Giu posted earlier with the boat specs and some photos(Tidewater Marina). Damn fine looking boat!!!!
Since its you asking...

I sailed the "standard" version of the 40 several times (was sold to Spain and I helped the Spanish guy "learn the boat, and sold him 3 mast steps I had bought in West marine) and a 44 performance here, that is doing the IRC championship.

The difference between the performance and the regular dufour is 1 knot no more no less.

I raced against the 44 (because I think its not fare to race against smaller hulls unlike many ), and as I said in my first post...

"to give you an idea, last August, I was dead downwind without spi, just genoa (on pole) and main, racing against a 44 Performance with spi, and racing crew, and I passed him, wining over 18 minutes in a 7 mile run!!"

That is 2,5 minutes per mile!!! without spi....he had spi....

I could pass him to leeward and still sail around them...and that's the 44 performance

If I pick a fight, I don't choose a smaller guy..its not fare
Old 03-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Giu...doesn't look like you need any help here. The pictures and your knowledge tell the story as it is. You may have to relinguish your "king" ass full of crap title if you keep this up!
Old 03-30-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Looks like a heavily modified boat to me, Even I can see that.
Old 03-30-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
From everything I've seen here, I'll have to agree with Giu. He's definitely the one who's opinion on racing matters I'd give the most weight here.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.

Last edited by werebeagle; 03-30-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Part of the problem with boats that race is that many are modified far from the "stock" configurations, that are generally bought for cruising. While some boat manufacturers may offer different configurations, the "racing" ones may be very different from those sold to the cruising market.

A good analogy is that it is kind of like NASCAR.... which uses "stock" cars... but the cars are nothing like the ones sold to the public. On the NASCAR "stock" cars—there are no stereos, no automatic transmissions, no doors that open—they're welded shut, one on seat, a rollcage... yet it is called a "stock" car. You can't go in to a car dealership and order one like this.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.