Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007

rbaroni is on a distinguished road
New Sailor-What to buy????

Hello, I'm sure this question has been asked in many different ways already. I have little experience, would like to buy a boat in the 26' to 28' range, will be sailed on fresh water lake, (Pend Oreille, Northern Idaho), do not plan to race but would like a boat that wasn't a "dog", don't mind traveling to pick it up, would like to spend no more than $16,000 after taking care of items after buying the boat, don't want a "project boat", plan to spend a lot of time on the boat, boats that I have considered, Catalina 27, Erickson 27, Oday 26, J30, any others... Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated, thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Taken as a group, I'd say the Catalina 27 is the best value.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
That Ericson is a sweet sailing boat though.
pigslo
Old 03-12-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaroni
Hello, I'm sure this question has been asked in many different ways already. I have little experience, would like to buy a boat in the 26' to 28' range, will be sailed on fresh water lake, (Pend Oreille, Northern Idaho), do not plan to race but would like a boat that wasn't a "dog", don't mind traveling to pick it up, would like to spend no more than $16,000 after taking care of items after buying the boat, don't want a "project boat", plan to spend a lot of time on the boat, boats that I have considered, Catalina 27, Erickson 27, Oday 26, J30, any others... Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated, thank you in advance.
I was out in Spokane for a couple of two week trips for work in Nov and Dec and drove out to check out the area around Pend Oreille on the weekend when I was off.

I couldn't help think what a scenic place it would be to sail in the summer, though I wondered about being able to overnight. Most places it looked like the lake dropped off really deep, really fast. I guess maybe you could find places to tie off to the sides of a snug cove if the bottom went away as quickly as it looked from where I was able to visit. Most places I stopped it seemed so steep you could sail a moderate draft boat almost right up to the shore.
Old 03-12-2007

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
I was down all through Idaho last summer fighting wildfires. Beautiful country and nice people around there. Your fortunate not to be too far from Washington state and British Columbia Canada. Two of the best places to find a boat in the range you're looking for. I looked on www.yatchtworld.com and found several nice looking boats. I would second the advice already given. Friends of mine had an Ericson 27 I believe for their last boat and they loved it. I would add a CS27 and any C&C in your price and size range to your list. The C&C in particular is a joy to sail, quite quick as well. I'm not sure what issues arize from bring a boat south across the boarder from Canada but I bought a boat from Tacoma last year and brought it up to Canada with little trouble and little cost (no sales tax has to be paid bring a boat into Canada that was built in North America, thanks NAFTA). I think you have a good list going there. Those are all good boats for your purpose. I think the best thing to do when buying a boat is narrow it down to a short list like you have and then just wait till a good deal comes up. The Canadian dollar was pretty close to the American dollar last summer which was good for me but it's gone back down a bit which might be good for you. The advantage to buying a boat in the states is that the boat marke tis a littel soft down there. In othr words you can talk people down a fair bit. that was my experience atleast. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
A quick search on Yacht World turned up 10 results in the 26' to 28' range from $14,000 to $16,000, and if you wouldn't mind a weekend trip to pick it up Several of the builders named above...good luck!

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...=en&slim=quick&

Old 03-13-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
More Boats

Hi,

Too bad you're so far away. I'm selling a very nice 1986 Newport 28 for $15K (I'm asking $16,500 but would take $15K) with new sails, well equipped, clean, dry, etc.

Anyway, a Newport 28 would be a good choice. Similar to the other boats you listed, a little bigger inside than the Catalina 27, and nicer too with teak and holly sole, padded headliner, leaded doors, etc.

O'day 28 is nice. C&C made a bunch of boats that you should at least consider, including a 27 and 29.

If you will be spending weekends (or longer) aboard, think about things like pressure hot and cold water, shower, holding tank, galley, etc.

Good luck,
Barry

Old 03-13-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Stock answer for a lake boat - make it trailerable, take a look at the S2 7.9 http://www.sailingsource.com/s279/ . S2 offers excellent design and build, very nice sailing, looks like there ia a fleet on the Columbia River.
Old 03-13-2007
Summer Storm

guajiro is on a distinguished road
Of those I'd say the Catalina or the S2, I've sailed them all and those two would be my choice, but why a slow mono at that price point when your learning. Go with a Windrider 17 and learn to sail an extremely fun boat and pay a fraction of what your intending on spending. my tc. gh