Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007
Justa

Location: Strasburg, Virginia (I need more work near the 'Neck')
seaspot is on a distinguished road
Confessions of a Powerboater

Well guys I really did it this time!

I've been a powerboater forever but over the last few years have been sailing on my brothers (the sailor of the family) boat and have started to want to make the great switch for myself.

I've been looking for a reasonably price older boat that works and looks decent without any major issues for a couple months now. Geeze, I found marinas I never knew existed!

Well appearently today was the day. I go to check out a few more and ended up actually buying a 1975 Cal 27. WOW! So now I own a Sailboat! I cannot believe I stumbled onto this thing. She's a beauty! The decks have been redone and look brand new, the hull is nice and shiny, freshly painted bottom, 5 year old rigging and sails, smooth running Atomic IV, tiller steering, new cushions in cockpit and below. WOOHOO!

The only electronics are a VHF and a stereo but for the price I stole this thing for I got plenty left over to make some kick butt purchases. I couldn't believe what I paid for her but the guy did a ton of work and had a major catastrophy in the family and had to let her go. He said since I seemed like a person who is going to take care of her he'd give me a deal. Less than half of what the "Book value is" but with all this work done to her.

So there it is, with the help of a few sailors and this forum, there is one less stinkpot owner on the water! The powerboat is already up for sale.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Allright...a convert to sail and sailnet! Welcome aboard...hope we can help ya out bit along the way.
Old 03-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Here's to hoping your deal works out as well as you hope.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Did you get a survey??? Caveat Emptor... if you didn't... I hope you got the deal you think you did... but I generally don't like trusting to luck. Congrats on the purchase though. Where do you sail??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-12-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Better late than ever...welcome home, my son...

Welcome to the sailing world...where men are men....and there there's the others!!!

Many years of fun, good moments and a good luck is what I wish you..

Let the games begin....

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-12-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think your photoshop skillz are finally improving a bit... LOL...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-13-2007
Justa

Location: Strasburg, Virginia (I need more work near the 'Neck')
seaspot is on a distinguished road
Here comes the "what were you thinking?"

No I didn't get a survey. I really didn't think it was worth it for the price of the boat.

BUT, (before you all hang me) I did take my brother who is very well versed in Sailboats. The last boat he bought (Island Packet 31) he had to get surveyed. He had already done his "own" survey and found a few things the surveyor didn't. So, I do trust his opinion. I have a pretty good understanding of boat systems as well, especially when it comes to the drive line.

BTW, I just happened across this gem on a private lot after looking at a couple other boats at a marina down the road and called the number. Turns out he just put the sign on this weekend.

So we showed up today with a some Red Bulls, a box of tools, meters, testers, and anything else we thought we needed and spent about 4.5 hours going over this thing from stem to stern, rail to rail. We were like a couple rats combing over anything we could find.

It does need some things we found.

-Batteries, they did handle the load test ok, but they are 2 years old so I may just upgrade them. But the box is good and well installed and secured.
-It does not have shore power, which I will install, but that's not an big issue for me and I already have a solar panel set up for it (thanks bro!)
-The windex doesn't work right. OK, it works but is about 45 degs off all the other boats, LOL.)
-It needs new gauges, tach/op/temp/amps, they all work but have scratchy lens.
-Although the engine tested out good, I am budgeting for a major tune up and upgrading to electronic ignition, rebuilding the carb, replacing the electronic fuel pump, water pump, all new lines and hoses, belts, maybe a back up alternator, etc.
-It could use a few new lines/ halyards. Although some have been replaced I will do the rest as well.
-Another anchor and rode, and new rode on the current danforth to be sure. Although the 20' of chain on board is vinyl coated.
-Replace all the Nav lights with new ones.
-Install the new swim ladder that had never got installed.
- The bright work on deck need to be sanded and re stained. Good thing is there isn't much.
-Interior needs a thorough cleaning. As to be expected. But on the upside of this part, the interior wood is in fantastic condition. Although it is a very simple interior.
-Needs all electronics. Which doesn't bother me too much, although I'd like to have more at least this way it's all new and what I want.
-New coast guard kit and replace the old fire extinguishers.

-Oh yea, the must do! Replace that damn AM/FM cassette player with a AM/FM CD with 6 disc changer and Sirius (24-7 Elvis and Margaritaville). I already have the head unit, changer and speakers from the old stinkpot. I'll take that with me and I'll just slap this stuff into that boat, AAARRG!

My only major requirements for my "new to me" boat was pretty simple. Solid hull, solid decks, decent propulsion system, good sails and rig.
Cool requirements would be, a marine head, roller furler, and wheel steering.

I didn't get the wheel, which I don't mind a bit (auto is way cheaper for tiller), I got a marine head with all new hoses and holding tank. A decent running engine. Solid hull, and rock solid deck that looks awesome. Five year old sails that look new, and the spinnaker has only flown once and a five year old harken furler.

So just with my "requirements" in mind I think I got a good deal and at a great price. Plus I got a box full of receipts for the newer stuff, the deck work and the bottom painting, schematics, manuals, a bunch of misc. books and guides.

And the kicker (I could not believe this guy said this) even that I went over the motor, but I made a comment that, 'a diesel would be cool' (not trying to show my cards yet on my opinion of the boat or my offer), he said he will pay out of his pocket for the yard mechanic to go over the motor again with me present to make sure it's ok. Can you friggin believe that?!

I talked to the guy for a long time and I was telling him of all my excursions to different boats all over the bay area and how none were ever like the owner or broker described and I was getting discouraged but that I did really like his boat and it met all my "requirements" ( not hard to do, LOL) I asked him what he would be willing to take. And after a thorough grilling about how I would use the boat, what I planed on doing, where I would be sailing, what are my friends like, my experience (jobs included), etc. etc. Damn, it was the worst interview I have ever done! He said well you seem like a good guy and if you give me 4K we got a deal. I almost crapped my pants on the spot! So I wrote the check.

Oh, and YES, it is all in a written contract.

So, I'll be on the lower Potomac and on the Chesapeake Bay this season again. But this time under the power of Wind and not burnin' up gas by the bucket.

In for a penny in for a pound. For whatever it's worth, I'm in it now.

Last edited by seaspot; 03-13-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling, ooops
Old 03-13-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I think your photoshop skillz are finally improving a bit... LOL...
The booze haze is starting to clear? His spelling isn't getting better though, maybe he needs reading glasses.

Anyway,
Seaspot -
Welcome to the sailing world!!!! Have a great time on your new boat!

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-13-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend
His spelling isn't getting better though, maybe he needs reading glasses.
Hey...California boy.....the land of actors...eheheh

You just wish you could spell in my language, as I can in yours!!!!

Already one step ahead of you!!!!
Old 03-13-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Actually, sometimes I forget that its your second language! You spell better than some with english as their first language

Vaya con Dios