Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Great Expectations

Maybe too great. Had a survey done today on a CS 36T. Structurally the boat is in very good shape, but lots of niggling and not so niggling things, a few of which must be taken care of and a longer list of stuff that should be taken care of. Mostly I was disappointed by auto-grade wiring terminals, strange plumbing and rat's nest arrangement of stuff in lockers, behind panels, etc. Lots of enthusiasm and creativity I suppose, but not necessarily appropriate for marine use, and if you didn't put it in poor you that has to figger the stuff
out. Even the surveyor was left scratching his head a few times.

Anyway, the surveyor figures it would take about ten grand to update stuff, and the boat is already on the high side of the price range for these models, (in part because of structural/mechanical upgrades done). Does that seem reasonable? Is there a general rule of thumb regarding what you should be looking at in costs AFTER you buy a used sailboat?

Honestly, I feel a little let down. Although it's necessary, taking apart a sailboat like this is like the difference between meeting a gorgeous woman on a smoky dance floor and seeing her the next morning under bright fluorescent lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
What stuff needs to be updated?
Old 03-15-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Honestly, I feel a little let down. Although it's necessary, taking apart a sailboat like this is like the difference between meeting a gorgeous woman on a smoky dance floor and seeing her the next morning under bright fluorescent lights.
Ya... Except, the boat you can make look gorgeous again with cash!

Not so much so with the woman

... Check out what this guy did with a totaly ran down Cat 27

http://www.semyan.com/GataLuna/repair.htm

I think any used boat you buy you'll have to do at least some work to get her to feel just right to you and be confident in it.

Most women come used anyway... They too, just need a little TLC to shine

Kacper
Old 03-15-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
10% of purchase price is rule of thumb, but I would expect 20% is more likely based on my experiences. Now is the time you make the post survey offer, so make one that reflects what you found.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What'd you expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives
Maybe too great. Had a survey done today on a CS 36T. Structurally the boat is in very good shape, but lots of niggling and not so niggling things, a few of which must be taken care of and a longer list of stuff that should be taken care of. Mostly I was disappointed by auto-grade wiring terminals, strange plumbing and rat's nest arrangement of stuff in lockers, behind panels, etc. Lots of enthusiasm and creativity I suppose, but not necessarily appropriate for marine use, and if you didn't put it in poor you that has to figger the stuff
out. Even the surveyor was left scratching his head a few times.

Anyway, the surveyor figures it would take about ten grand to update stuff, and the boat is already on the high side of the price range for these models, (in part because of structural/mechanical upgrades done). Does that seem reasonable? Is there a general rule of thumb regarding what you should be looking at in costs AFTER you buy a used sailboat?

Generally, I recommend saving at least 15-20% of the purchase budget for doing upgrades, repairs and modifying the boat. This is true of almost any boat I've seen, new or used.

The strange plumbing, rat's nest of stuff in the lockers, and auto-grade wiring terminals are par for the course. If the updating is worth $10,000 then knock about half that off your offer... as I doubt you'll get the full 10K.

You don't say how old the sailboat is... and I'm guessing that it is probably 15+ years old. A lot can happen in that much time. If the deck, hull, rigging and engine are solid, then anything else can be dealt with fairly reasonably.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-15-2007

A 1980 CS36 Traditional. All the electronics are old - backstay mount radar, old RV style 1000w inverter, battery monitor not working right, three old (two antique) depth sounders, ancient VHF, one autohelm not working. Letrasan MSD not working and no holding tank. Original knotmeter and log not working. 8 through hull valves replaced with industrial plastic ones (yikes). Backstay original and needing replacement. Rat's nest plumbing in galley and head, leaking Y valve in head, solar panel wiring corroded, one panel has a corroded spot internally, muffler shot. salt water pumps not working in galley or head. Wiring "suspicious". Need to rebed chainplates, no tender, running rigging a bit tired.

On the plus side, bottom and rudder has recently been epoxied, new propane salon heater, recent oversize standing rigging, windlass with spare motor, B&G below deck autopilot, decent sails 4 or 5 years old, maxprop, new refrigeration system, engine driven salon heater, recent full canvas cockpit enclosure, new cockpit cushions, 3 solar panels, hydraulic backstay adjuster, lots of new spare parts, new dripless shaft seal, tranny recently rebuilt. 3000 hours on engine, which runs and starts very well. (Vendor has spare rebuilt but I said no thanks -who packs around a spare engine? Where would I keep it?). Deck and hull sounded out okay. New salon sole. 4 new 6 volt very good quality golf cart batteries.

We still haven't had the mechanic go over the engine yet. Vendor is asking $90,000 on west coast (BC)
Old 03-15-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Electronics are something that can't really be part of the price, especially, old and/or inoperative ones. Thru-hulls, muffler, bad plumbing, the chainplates, are things that should be included though. In other words, anything that has to do with the actual operation of the boat, minus the electronics.

If the price is reflective of all the things you have mentioned being operative, then you should discount the price accordingly. If the price reflects "as is", then I think it's too high.

This is though, just my opinion.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-15-2007
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Have you looked at the three other CS 36s that your broker has listed? They are all listed at about $20,000 less. Is your pick worth $20K more than the other three?

1908 Wildschut SkŻtsje

Old 03-15-2007

The price on yachtworld is incorrect. I'm going in at 90, and all the rest are asking 89. They are not as well equipped, and they will show their own flaws when surveyed, I'm sure. The one in Sidney seems more comparable to the one I'm working on, and maybe someone will get it for 85. The broker Paul Shield has an excellent reputation in the west coast cs community, and seems to be a straight shooter (he's one of those rare brokers who doesn't come across like slimy used car salesmen). He tells me the lowest price he has ever sold one for is 76 grand. He does agree that the price has to be adjusted to reflect the survey, or have the vendor take care of the things that are really important like the thru-hull valves.
Old 03-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Hoffa - Saw your post on CSOA. I was the one that posted recently about buying the CS34, and ended up having to fix a lot of things(headliner crack). Mine was in what appeared to be great condition, but I am still sinking lots of money and time into it to fix things that went unnoticed. And while I am fixing things, other things are breaking. The CS is a great boat, don't get me wrong, but take what you see that needs to be fixed and double the amount in reality. If you have reservations about buying it, don't. There are too many other boats out there. But it is your time and money and I don't know how much you have of either to put in. My boat spoke to me and said, "if you pass me up, you will regret it".
Best

Vaya con Dios

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.