Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
A 31 foot sailboat in good condition costs a minimum of $50,000.00 You can pay it several ways..all upfront when you buy a boat in decent condition, half and half buying something that is okay but needs work, or nothing at the front end and spending the other $47,500.00 over the following twelve months. But sooner or later - you are going to spend it. So if you don't have 50K to spend over the next twelve months, you can't afford the Southern Cross.

Also, I am honestly not trying to offend you, but if you are at a level of experience where you are not aware of the differences between the Hunter anad the Southern Cross, then you are not ready for one.

There is a lavyer of balsa between the inner and outer fibreglass skins of the boat. If it is cheap, it is likely that there is a problem there, and unless you've beeen working on boats for a while, you don't have the expertise to repair it properly.

Get the Hunter - have a great time, learn to sail and run aground a few times. If you maintain it and even upgrade it a little you will always be able to sell it for what you paid for it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2007

gentryd is on a distinguished road
The Hunter is 1984, cabin, deck and hull pretty good shape but does need bottom job. Also needs front hatch. Has running Renault 8 Hp deisel and comes with 3 sails. Can pick up for $1500.00, can probably pick up SC around same price but you're right, alot of time and money.
Old 03-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The SC31 must be in really rotten shape. Ones in good condition list for about $30,000, and sell for probably about $22-26,000, depending on their condition and what equipment is on them.

A mid-1980s Hunter is probably a boat I'd want to avoid. That was the time period that had gained Hunter much of its reputation for making really flimsy and shoddy boats. Getting a keelboat that is longer than 26' for less than $10,000 is generally going to be a boat in pretty bad shape, that either needs a lot of work or has serious structural issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Getting a keelboat that is longer than 26' for less than $10,000 is generally going to be a boat in pretty bad shape, that either needs a lot of work or has serious structural issues.
A friend of mine got a late '70s Pearson 30 in good shape for $10K last season and shipped it from Conn. to Toronto. He's got fresh sails and a few odds and ends, put in a new head (the wife was squeamish) and spent about $3000 in total getting it right.

So it *can* be done...but you've got to be really picky. As his last boat was a late '60s 24 foot Shark, he's over the moon with all that wide open space and 5' 10" headroom
Old 03-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
A friend of mine got a late '70s Pearson 30 in good shape for $10K last season and shipped it from Conn. to Toronto. He's got fresh sails and a few odds and ends, put in a new head (the wife was squeamish) and spent about $3000 in total getting it right.

So it *can* be done...but you've got to be really picky. As his last boat was a late '60s 24 foot Shark, he's over the moon with all that wide open space and 5' 10" headroom
It happens, but not too commonly...and this guy is looking at $1500 if I read his post right... when was the last time you saw a 27'+ boat that was in decent shape for less than $10,000???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-16-2007

$1500.00 is read right, basically paying past due slip fees, guy just wants out of it. My inquiry was on SC boats as there's not alot out there, Said I was new to sailing, not to boating. Been on saltwater boats all my life and have totally redone 2 fiberglass boats. Don't know sailboats, but do know boats. Thought I'd square that up as some responses lead to the perception that I'm ignorant to boating altogether. I do appreciate all the responses, they have been most helpful
Old 03-16-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Ahhhh - so if you're not a boating newbie then we don't have to be qute so nice to you We try to be on our best behaviour with total landlubbers

...anyway...a Southern Cross has a cored hull, which is a bad, bad thing in a neglected boat. They were sold (mostly as unfinished shells) to people who wanted Valiants but couldn't afford them.

Because they were owner-finished inside, you are almost guaranteed that there are holes through the skin and into the core, and that the core is wet - hence rotten in places. Besides, they are fat, slow and ugly and sometimes the kindest thing to do to a boat is just let it sink as nature intended...
Old 03-16-2007
Telstar 28

Sailormann-

The coring in the hull of the Southern Cross boats isn't balsa, IIRC, it is cored with Airex, which was IIRC a PVC-based foam. I believe the decks were cored with end-grain balsa, rather than the Airex material.

Also, many of the Southern Crosses may have been owner finished, but some were factory finished.

They may be slow, but they're very solid boats, if they were properly maintained, and are reasonably priced for a bluewater capable boat. Pat Henry circumnavigated in her SC31, and Donna Lange is about to finish a circumnavigation in an SC28. Not too many other boats can compete for the price, size and value.

One major advantage the Southern Cross has as a cruising boat is that the cabin temperature tends to be a bit easier to control thanks to the cored hull and deck. Also, it tends not to have the condensation problems in cooler weather than a solid fiberglass boat will have.

The Elizabethan 31 and the Hallberg-Rassy Monsun are two others that are about the same size and value, and with about the same capabilities.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-16-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2007

Does anybody know if there's a way to find out if the hull was factory finished or kit by the hull #. I'm really thinking now I should get them both. Dry dock the SC for a couple of years and take my time with her, and learn the sailing ropes on the Hunter until I finish the SC
Old 03-16-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
I''m sort of a newbie but for the money if you can't make up your mind and have the room get them both. Sail the Hunter while you spet the next few years tinkering with the SC. Just don't try to make them both bristol. spend the money and time on the SC and wear what liitle there is of the hunter out while you sail it. But like i said i am a newbie

P-27