Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The one thing that everyone seems to be ignoring is the costs of storing and maintaining two boats. Unless you have the space to store the SC31 while you're working on it for relatively cheap... getting both boats is going to be an expensive proposition. You still have to pay taxes and registration fees on both boats as well.

If the hull and standing rigging on the SC31 are in good shape... no delaminated areas, no water intrusion into the core, no broken shrouds or stays—then the SC31 would be a bargain as a project boat.

Keep in mind that it will be a very time-consuming and expensive project to refit a Southern Cross that isn't in great shape to begin with... but as long as the hull and rigging are in fairly good shape, the rest can be done fairly easily by you, given time, materials and patience.

You could contact the Southern Cross Owners Association, as they may have some idea of the history of the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Funny you should say SD,,,it's 5am on a Saturday and i'm wide awake stressing over how i am going to come up with 2 moring fees this summer....i just paid 2k to store them both this winter. Now there are 2 other Pearsons for sale on Lake Champlain, so if mine doesn't sell this summer i'm stuck paying storage next winter too!!!! Maybe i should have stuck with the Hobie cats....
Old 03-17-2007

gentryd is on a distinguished road
I live on TX gulf coast. The Marina where I'll be putting a boat is only 70.00/mo for slip irregardless of boat size. Wouldn't be overly costly for 2 but if I end up with SC I'll plan on binging it to my house to work on. I'm sur there's a pretty good cost associated with moving it as I don't have a trailer to accomodate a 31' boat and will probably need a crane to lift it off the trailer and shore it up once at my place. A question on surveys, can a survey be done with the boat in the water? Hull lamination and water intrusion of the core have come up several times in this forum, seems like something I should have checked before I decide to dive head first into the SC.
Old 03-17-2007

Back to finding out SC history, I tried contacting SCOA, they referred me here. I have actually met the owner of the SC or been in it yet. I've been on it and viewed inside through port holes, that's where I get impression that interior cabin needs alot of work. Deck and rigging look to be in pretty good shape. The deal is working through the marina owner who know's the boat owner and says he can get the boat for next to nothing and maybe even nothing. So for now all I have to go on is the SC Ryder Bristol 89 identification.
Old 03-17-2007

"I have not actually met the owner". (I needed to correct that
Old 03-17-2007

Try southerncross-boats.org for the SCOA website. There is a part on factory specs under site info....they show they factory layout and brochure. My boat even had the same fabric on the setees...nasty The factory interior had 2 basic layouts. One with a quarter birth behind the nav table....one with storage behind. There should be a full v-berth forward, enclosed head to starboard, fold down table with large setees on either side. The galley's are pretty small but came with a nice gimballed stove.
The hulls are cored with air-ex so they will not rot. You should have the boat hauled to have a good survey done. They need to tap out the hull and go over it with a moisture gauge to find any issues. I have not heard of too many issues...its just something you want to be sure doesn't exist. The big problems with these boats are the plywood core used under the mast step. They get wet because there was no crown built into the skin, so water puddles up on it. On mine the area under the step was actually compressed slightly so the problem was even worse (puddle) . I suspect most of the water got in where the wiring for the mast comes through the deck on my boat. I could squeeze the core between my fingers and water just oosed out. It was actually boiling out of my cut through the skin, from the heat of the saw blade!
It sounds like you don't mind fiberglass work...so youv'e got that covered. If you really want to have a solid seaworthy boat...go for it. I wouldn't even sail my Pearson 26 in the ocean...the lake is about all it can handle! I couldn't even imagine a future in sailing if i had to stick with the Pearson.
Old 03-17-2007

I would go with Bestfriend's advice and buy a sailing dinghy....that way when the SC is finished you don't have to sell the hunter and you already have a good dinghy that you are familiar with. If you really can get the SC for 1,500 and the hull is in good shape, your'e getting a deal....just look at the prices on yachtworld (also photos of factory interior).
Old 03-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A survey, especially of a cored hull boat, needs to be done both in the water and on the hard, as there are some things that can not be done in the water and others that can't be done on the hard. Ideally, it would be best to let the hull sit for a while so you can get accurate moisture readings of it.. but a good surveyor can learn alot even without that. The real worry is that one of the PO did something stupid and drilled through the cored area of the hull (starts about 2' from the keel, the keel and very bottom isn't cored IIRC) without potting the hole properly.

If you do decide to buy the SC31, you'll also need to buy or make a storage cradle for it, so that it can be kept safely on land. I would also recommend taking the rig down, if you're going to keep it on the hard for an extended period of time. The mast and rigging add a fair bit of windage, and hurricanes and other storms love to use that windage to turn the boat into a domino.

The best way to move the SC31 would probably be a hydraulic trailer, like the ones used by Brownell Systems.

I'd also agree that BF's idea of getting a small sailing dinghy, especially one that you can use as a tender to the SC31 might be a better idea than getting the Hunter. Might be a bit more expensive in the short run, but will probably be cheaper to do in the long run.

Check the tabbing on the interior bulkheads, if you get a chance to inspect the interior of the boat. Chances are likely that the tabbing will be a good way to tell if it is a factory-interior or a owner installed interior. Most owner installed interiors aren't tabbed in properly from what I've heard and seen.

Damn, I wish the slips were that cheap up here... storage for both of your boats for the years is less than what mine costs me...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-17-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Slip cost here ( low end ) are $70.00 a foot for the April to October season. Wow, $70.00 a month....
Old 03-17-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Hi Gentryd, In September i had a choice between a 1980 Irwin 30 foot that needed all bulkheads refiberglassed and deck cores repaired, or a O'day302 at double the price needing bottom paint and minor maintenance but sea worthy. I went with the O'day as this is my first boat and wanted to spend my time sailing not working on a boat.

Good luck and have fu sailing. Dennis